Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Fair enough, maybe he just needs an injury free run then. A good pre-season and he might come back the same player we know he is capable of being. 30 in September so probably has 2-3 years left before pace will become a real problem. But if alongside a faster centre half his reading of the game will stand out.

I think we have an agreement in place to sign him - but I'm not sure if we or Villa are waiting to see what happens with their situation first. He looked really classy in his first game for us in early February - comfortable on the ball, great anticipation - the right on cue, he landed awkwardly on his ankle. We didn't see him again until 28th April! :facepalm:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Their local MP has tabled a motion in Parliament asking what the government are going to do to make sure Billa don’t go under.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Their local MP has tabled a motion in Parliament asking what the government are going to do to make sure Billa don’t go under.
"Too big to fail". Quick, nationalise Villa! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Surprised Palace haven't tried this yet actually.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I always think you speak a lot of sense on here, but I recall Rod Thomas’s time with us differently. For me he was without doubt a shining light at Gillingham during dark times. During a time when we signed a lot of dross, he was by far and away our best signing for a few years. There was a spell at Gillingham when he and Minton linked up amazingly and for a little while pushed us to within reach of the playoffs (it all went wrong when Horton left and we lost 8 or 9 on the trot under Wood). He got injured, (ankle ligaments I seem to recall) and missed a chunk of games, mainly during that rotten run. All of that was prior to Micky Adams arriving. I love Micky Adams and what he did for the club, but he had his own way of doing things and he liked players who had played for him before. Almost from the moment Micky arrived Rod Thomas was side lined, maybe because he was coming back from injury, but he never really got a run in the team. You can't argue with Micky's first spell with us, but it was a shame Rod never featured in his plans. I don't think it was Thomas's attitude, I think it was more an unfortunate injury and change of manager that led to him drifting out of the side. I know a lot of people who never went to Gillingham who say Thomas was very average, which I always say is because they never saw him at Gillingham.

I'm always ready to reconsider my position when challenged by someone sensible (I get that you think I'm well off the mark, here). I just looked him up (see attached). He got 3 goals for us, five yellows and a red at the end of the last Gillingham season (I went to every home game and a few away that season), scored in the Mansfield game at the start of the first Withdean season (when Freeman got a debut hatrick), and that was it. A few more cards but no goals (OK he was not a centre forward but still). I certainly saw every home game he played and a few away. Yes he may have been exciting when he arrived (in that regard my recollection is poor even though I was there) but even then he got more cards than goals, and by the time we were back in Brighton he really didn't look interested (to me - that I do remember)). The South Stand (including me...a bit) always got excited when he came on, but he never delivered. ('Super Rodney Thomas' indeed). I guess I may have been impressed with him at Gillingham (but I can't really remember...Minton...Pinamonte...Ifejiagwa, Ginger prince yes, Rod, no) which may be why I was so disappointed with him at Withdean. I guess what I'm saying is I may well be wrong about Thomas and stand corrected if so,

I did like Minton. And despite his shyness in front of goal, I loved Richie BarKarrr. We were desperate for someone to be excited by...the first player I can ever recall being able to string a few useful passes together, after 'the fall' was Dan Harding. Oh well. It seems that perhaps I have the opposite of rose tinted spectacle syndrome, but its all good now so the past is brown tinted spectacles under the bridge :lolol::thumbsup:

98.JPG
99 part 1.JPG
99 part 2.JPG
2000.JPG

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm always ready to reconsider my position when challenged by someone sensible (I get that you think I'm well off the mark, here). I just looked him up (see attached). He got 3 goals for us, five yellows and a red at the end of the last Gillingham season (I went to every home game and a few away that season), scored in the Mansfield game at the start of the first Withdean season (when Freeman got a debut hatrick), and that was it. A few more cards but no goals (OK he was not a centre forward but still). I certainly saw every home game he played and a few away. Yes he may have been exciting when he arrived (in that regard my recollection is poor even though I was there) but even then he got more cards than goals, and by the time we were back in Brighton he really didn't look interested (to me - that I do remember)). The South Stand (including me...a bit) always got excited when he came on, but he never delivered. ('Super Rodney Thomas' indeed). I guess I may have been impressed with him at Gillingham (but I can't really remember...Minton...Pinamonte...Ifejiagwa, Ginger prince yes, Rod, no) which may be why I was so disappointed with him at Withdean. I guess what I'm saying is I may well be wrong about Thomas and stand corrected if so,

I did like Minton. And despite his shyness in front of goal, I loved Richie BarKarrr. We were desperate for someone to be excited by...the first player I can ever recall being able to string a few useful passes together, after 'the fall' was Dan Harding. Oh well. It seems that perhaps I have the opposite of rose tinted spectacle syndrome, but its all good now so the past is brown tinted spectacles under the bridge :lolol::thumbsup:

View attachment 97630
View attachment 97631
View attachment 97632
View attachment 97633

I loved Minton and McDugald.

I saw us win away at Bournemouth, in torrential rain with the pitch a ball-halting lake, where Minton and McDugald played the conditions brilliantly.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

View attachment 97630
View attachment 97631
View attachment 97632
View attachment 97633
My abiding memory of Rod Thomas was seeing him sent off after about 2 minutes in an evening game at Mansfield. How he'd managed to get angry enough to want to headbutt an opponent in such a short amount of time is quite special.

Still at least it was only an eight hour round trip.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Seriously? They brought in and were paying a Championship defender considerably more than double any of our PL squad gets :eek:

It just makes their loss all the funnier :)

You're suggesting they get whacked?

I loved Minton and McDugald.

I saw us win away at Bournemouth, in torrential rain with the pitch a ball-halting lake, where Minton and McDugald played the conditions brilliantly.

I think I was at that game - I remember being ****ing drowned at full time!!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Villa are going through the same as many clubs .The championship are full of big clubs who all think they have a divine right to being in the premier. It gives smaller clubs like ours to taste the big time. The biggest club down there is Leeds but they will all probably rise up over the years. It is quite fun though to listen to all the fans squeal ,' we are a huge club and should not be here' . No doubt we will not always be up there but I am enjoying the ride.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Villa are going through the same as many clubs .The championship are full of big clubs who all think they have a divine right to being in the premier. It gives smaller clubs like ours to taste the big time. The biggest club down there is Leeds but they will all probably rise up over the years. It is quite fun though to listen to all the fans squeal ,' we are a huge club and should not be here' . No doubt we will not always be up there but I am enjoying the ride.

Me too Rogero, me too.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
From the BBC football gossip page today...
Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has been told the club cannot even afford free transfers while they are in financial crisis. (Mirror)

How will the fans feel when fighting with the bottom third next season to stay above 20th just like their neighbors Birmingham city

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here