Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jose Izquierdo, Don’t You Dare!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Wow! Now that is stretching the bounds of credibility with your illustration.

I know it was an extreme example, but i was demonstrating that you do not have to beat the best if you want to progress and sometimes there are benefits to not having to face the harder opponents on your side of the draw ,giving you a far greater chance of success and allowing you a greater chance of getting deeper into a tournament (if i had done it using the teams in the World Cup, i would probably have put the same fixtures as both routes are now to show an easier and harder route to the final)

Regardless of which is, or not, an easier route through the tournament the fact is this World Cup has proved that there are upsets and banana skins all the way. Hence my assertion that each team now has to play what’s in front of it. It is people’s perception that certain opponents are easier to play against than others, the reality could be exactly the opposite - just ask Germany.

Every game can result in a shock result, but that isn't a reason to justify being just as happy with a harder route to the final.

We played well in the first 2 games (the only ones with our first XI playing in) so why should we be afraid of playing against lesser teams where, if we were to lose, it would be more of a shock?

Basically its like having a choice between picking from 2 raffles, the cost to enter is the same and the jackpot prize is identical, but the odds of winning are better from one (say 1 in 5) that the other (say 1 in 20) - surely you would want to pick from the one where the the odds are more in your favour to try to win than from the other one, the argument saying you have to beat the best to win the WC to get to the final are like saying that it is the same jackpot prize in the raffle and you have to get lucky to pick the jackpot ticket, so they are the same chance of success

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
If he's english, then I'm sorry but thats just plain odd. It'd be NICE to see an Albion player do well in a World Cup, and if we get knocked out but Jose does well then it would certainly provide some small consolation. But to actually wish for that over and above the progression of your own country in a World Cup ? Weird.

Izqueirdo has been with us for 1 season, and might only be with us for 1 more as far as we know. I have never seen England get beyond a semi-final in a World Cup, and in my lifetime have only seen us play ONCE on that stage. And it was epic. Would I sacrifice all that to see Jose sling some decent crosses over or maybe bend one in ?

Err....thats a no then.

Thierry Henry is part of the Belgium coaching staff and will probably want Belgium to beat France.Is he 'strange' too?

What about Carlos Quierez (however you spell his name)? He managed a national team against his home nation in the world cup SCUM!

I'm not even going to mention Di Stefano

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Thierry Henry is part of the Belgium coaching staff and will probably want Belgium to beat France.Is he 'strange' too?

What about Carlos Quierez (however you spell his name)? He managed a national team against his home nation in the world cup SCUM!

What a stupid comparison.

They are getting PAID, as professional coaches and managers. That is such a ridiculous response I don't need to say anything else.....

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
What a stupid comparison.

They are getting PAID, as professional coaches and managers. That is such a ridiculous response I don't need to say anything else.....

Eh? I thought it was weird to want others to do better than your country of Birth?

What's money got to do with it? Would you use this same logic with gambling?
Some people aren't as patriotic as others, something you seem to find 'weird' and yet there's even ex internationals who are supporting other nationalities. It's football, not world war 3

If England were playing Luxembourg (not in the World Cup) I'd rather see Luxembourg win. I'm a supporter of the underdog.

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Eh? I thought it was weird to want others to do better than your country of Birth?

What's money got to do with it? Some people aren't as patriotic as others, something you seem to find 'weird'. If England were playing Luxembourg, I'd rather see Luxembourg win. I'm a supporter of the underdog and always will be.

So if England played Luxembourg you’d rather see Luxembourg win.

You want England to lose to Colombia because an Albion player plays for Colombia.

You are saying Thierry Henry working as a coach for Belgium is the same as an Englishman not wanting England to win.

Righto......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't get all this "you have to play and beat beat the best to progress and win a competition, by that logic, given the 2 options below, you would be just as happy with either of these to be Brighton's route to the FA Cup final as, by that logic, they are the same and there is no advantage of having an easier route
Harder route
3rd round = Chelsea (a)
4th round = Liverpool (a)
5th round = Tottenham (a)
Quarter-final = Manchester United (A)
Semi-final = Manchester City

Or alternative route to the final
3rd round = Coventry (h)
4th round = Yeovil (h)
5th round = Rotherham (h)
Quarter-final = Rochdale (h)
Semi-final = Chesterfield

Which route is going to result in a higher probability of making the final, and do the opponents on the route make a difference to that chance of making it or not
Indeed. It's not rocket science is it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Columbia were fantastic in their previous game (don't remember who) and will easily beat us if they play to their capabilities imo.

Full of prima donnas, Colombia are.

If Panama were any good, England would have been 0-2 down early on. Playing three at the back is just asking for trouble.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We'll lose against Colombia.

All the talk of engineering the draw ( and by implication taking the last 16 game for granted ) will make sure of that....

And Izquierdo will score the only goal.

:albion2:

Yes but the team weren’t suggesting this. I feel like you’ve made a predetermined ‘we’re gonna look silly’ type vibe and others will obviously follow if we lose to Colombia. I don’t think we could win with some people in this scenario. Colombia will be tough but win that and we have much more chance of going further in the tourno than if we beat Japan. Here wasn’t arrogance from the team or Southgate. If we lose, we lose but it wasn’t deliberate as such.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There’s always one or two idiots deliberately trying to go against the grain to look like super Albion fans :ffsparr:

If it was Wilf ******* Zaha playing for England against Izzy I’d want Zaha to be the one celebrating at the end. There is no such thing as club v country - just let ur Albion go a bit while it’s close season and enjoy your country playing (and doing well) at a World Cup - the biggest football tournament on earth.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
There’s always one or two idiots deliberately trying to go against the grain to look like super Albion fans :ffsparr:

If it was Wilf ******* Zaha playing for England against Izzy I’d want Zaha to be the one celebrating at the end. There is no such thing as club v country - just let ur Albion go a bit while it’s close season and enjoy your country playing (and doing well) at a World Cup - the biggest football tournament on earth.

Considering your passion for the England national side, I hope you're aware that Zaha now plays for the Ivory coast even so he's had 1 cap for England.
Awful example considering your point. :ffsparr:

Just because your passion lies with your national team doesn't mean you have to put down people whose passion lies with the Albion. I've never been to an England game in my life, why should I be so passionate about them?

If I cared that much about England, I'd be in Russia supporting them, but I'm not, because the reality is, I don't really give a toss.

What's the weather like over there?

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Considering your passion for the England national side, I hope you're aware that Zaha now plays for the Ivory coast even so he's had 1 cap for England.
Awful example considering your point. :ffsparr:

Just because your passion lies with your national team doesn't mean you have to put down people whose passion lies with the Albion. I've never been to an England game in my life, why should I be so passionate about them?

If I cared that much about England, I'd be in Russia supporting them, but I'm not, because the reality is, I don't really give a toss.

What's the weather like over there?

Wow ultimate tossed alert.

And to suggest I’m unaware of Zaha choosing them :facepalm:

I’ve followed England in person a bit yes (would lobe to be in Russia but chose to keep my daughter housed thanks) - but that has no bearing on how much I want my country to succeed - exactly the same as the Albion l. You feel the need to be deliberately antagonistic and suggest you hope we lose to get a reaction - that’s plain attention seeking and pathetic. If you don’t share the passion of many football fans that’s fine - but why deliberately hope a team loses that represents where you’re from / mental. So many plastics on here who have the same attitude as Sussex Man U fans when it comes to England - we’ve never won anything in my lifetime so we’re not supportable type attitude.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Wow ultimate tossed alert.

And to suggest I’m unaware of Zaha choosing them :facepalm:

I’ve followed England in person a bit yes (would lobe to be in Russia but chose to keep my daughter housed thanks) - but that has no bearing on how much I want my country to succeed - exactly the same as the Albion l. You feel the need to be deliberately antagonistic and suggest you hope we lose to get a reaction - that’s plain attention seeking and pathetic. If you don’t share the passion of many football fans that’s fine - but why deliberately hope a team loses / mental.

Oh, so you're not in Russia supporting them like I thought? My mistake. I apologise.

Nonetheless. You keep up that support. Your country needs you.

PS I'm half Irish and have lived in Ireland during my childhood, I don't have the passion you have for England. No need to slate my passion for the Albion though? I apologise for not being like you in terms of the England national side. I prefer Ireland, hope that doesn't offend you.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh, so you're not in Russia supporting them like I thought? My mistake. I apologise.

Nonetheless. You keep up that support. Your country needs you.

PS I'm half Irish and have lived in Ireland during my childhood, I don't have the passion you have for England. No need to slate my passion for the Albion though? I apologise for not being like you in terms of the England national side.

Nobody slated your passion for the Albion - that’s rubbish. But Club & Country are 2 completely different things. To patronise me because I couldn’t afford to go to Russia is very low - I was in Amsterdam a few months ago thanks - I’m sure your views would have gone down well there. And as for the paddy bit - it shows :thumbsup: there’ll be no ......... .......... in Moscow :clap2:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Unless you are Columbian, I find that statement baffling.

No, I'm English. But I've seen enough football to know Engerland don't stand a chance of winning it and as an Albion supporter I'd rather our players have a good tournament and grow in confidence in preparation for next season than to see England play an extra game or two.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Nobody slated your passion for the Albion - that’s rubbish.

Below.

There’s always one or two idiots deliberately trying to go against the grain to look like super Albion fans

To patronise me because I couldn’t afford to go to Russia is very low

I've not got a clue about your wealth and I still don't? Can you please show me where I've patronised you about your financial situation?

I was in Amsterdam a few months ago thanks - I’m sure your views would have gone down well there.

Good for you. Beautiful city. I could walk around Amsterdam all day just admiring the place. I hope you had a good time.

And as for the paddy bit - it shows:

You should go over to Ireland. Stunning country, very friendly people and a lovely pint of Guinness. County Wicklow is worth a visit if you're only going for a few days. Not too far from Dublin airport either.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Why's that strange? He would rather an Albion player to do well in the world cup than the England team.

I personally have a lot more passion towards the Albion than England. If we get knocked out, no big deal. It's hardly the Albion getting relegated. If we get knocked out but Jose scores a hat-trick and plays a blinder, I'll still feel very positive knowing one of our own is taking the world by storm.

I think it's stranger that anyone wouldn't want to see Jose perform well in this World Cup regardless if he's playing England.

This first post of yours doesn’t mention your love of ROI. Don’t you think, in the interest of partiality, you might have declared that at the outset, rather than a number of posts in.

Would have saved me the effort of reading your anti England garbage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here