Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not got an allotment now but still grow potatoes in a couple of bags at home and runner beans. My question is that we are going away from 2nd to 15th June and do not wish to plant the beans before we go as there is nobody to water them so Can I put some beans in pods and leave them to grow while away? Would 16th June be too late to plant them out? If I water them well before we leave would that suffice for the 2 weeks or should I devise a way for the water to get into the pots via drip or some other way.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=667

Nothing about left backs though

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not got an allotment now but still grow potatoes in a couple of bags at home and runner beans. My question is that we are going away from 2nd to 15th June and do not wish to plant the beans before we go as there is nobody to water them so Can I put some beans in pods and leave them to grow while away? Would 16th June be too late to plant them out? If I water them well before we leave would that suffice for the 2 weeks or should I devise a way for the water to get into the pots via drip or some other way.

If you sow the beans outside in a border or plot they will be fine, if you plant in growbags or pots that's when you will have the problem.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you sow the beans outside in a border or plot they will be fine, if you plant in growbags or pots that's when you will have the problem.

In the ground for runners, we've always dug a decent bean trench, instead of well mature compost, we lay newspaper top and bottom, with fresh un-rotted peelings etc inbetween and then give it a good soaking of water. The fresh stuff seems to attract the worms and other munchers to it, rather than devouring on already rotted stuff.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As per rhs advice

I googled growing runner beans and was concerned as the beans go into a vegetable grow bag type bag but bigger and deeper than the average growbags available in garden centres. That is why I asked for advice on here from people who may have experience rather than the rhs site. I live in a flat so do not have any garden so to speak to dig a trench etc. as I did on my allotment.when I had it. My favourite veg is home grown runner beans.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In the ground for runners, we've always dug a decent bean trench, instead of well mature compost, we lay newspaper top and bottom, with fresh un-rotted peelings etc inbetween and then give it a good soaking of water. The fresh stuff seems to attract the worms and other munchers to it, rather than devouring on already rotted stuff.

Can i call you Tom and Barbara

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I googled growing runner beans and was concerned as thge beans go into a vegetable grow bag type bag but bigger and deeper than the average growbags available in garden centres. That is why I asked for advice on here from people who may have experience rather than the rhs site.

i dont know why i bother :moo:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Pretty much perfect, the more you water the better but put plenty of compost and paper in and the rain alone will be enough to get a crop.... it should always be remembered that Runner Beans have somehow managed to keep reproducing without help from mankind.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I googled growing runner beans and was concerned as the beans go into a vegetable grow bag type bag but bigger and deeper than the average growbags available in garden centres. That is why I asked for advice on here from people who may have experience rather than the rhs site. I live in a flat so do not have any garden so to speak to dig a trench etc. as I did on my allotment.when I had it. My favourite veg is home grown runner beans.

Over two weeks in June the grow bags and pots will probably dry out - especially if the weather is hot and the bags are in the sun. It depends how big the pots and bags are. Group them together in shade if possible and water thoroughly before you go, and you might get away with it. Better still get a neighbour or relative to water them while you are away.

If they dry out and die, plant some more when you get back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always find it rather amusing that runners are not grown in places like Spain and Cyprus and probably due to lack of water. I have always said if I win the lottery and buy a place over there I will run a pipe from the bath waste to a tank in the garden to supply water for runner beans.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over two weeks in June the grow bags and pots will probably dry out - especially if the weather is hot and the bags are in the sun. It depends how big the pots and bags are. Group them together in shade if possible and water thoroughly before you go, and you might get away with it. Better still get a neighbour or relative to water them while you are away.

If they dry out and die, plant some more when you get back.

That was my question is middle of June too late to plant some more straight in to the ground. From seed they take about 2 weeks to grow enough to plant out so I thought of planting them into pots the day before I go and stand the pots in take away curry containers part filled with water under a table or similar away from sunlight. Does that sound feasible.?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That was my question is middle of June too late to plant some more straight in to the ground. From seed they take about 2 weeks to grow enough to plant out so I thought of planting them into pots the day before I go and stand the pots in take away curry containers part filled with water under a table or similar away from sunlight. Does that sound feasible.?
What do you think?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What do you think?

I dont know that is why I am asking people who may. Gut feeling is that the pots will be ok during the 2 weeks and I can plant them out when I get home but as I say I do not know. Last year we went durinbg the Spetember international break so it was towards the end of their time so it was no problem plus son was about to water them. This year as wife looks after his children while his wife works they are going at the same time as us, different place, but are not there to water them,for us.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I dont know that is why I am asking people who may. Gut feeling is that the pots will be ok during the 2 weeks and I can plant them out when I get home but as I say I do not know. Last year we went durinbg the Spetember international break so it was towards the end of their time so it was no problem plus son was about to water them. This year as wife looks after his children while his wife works they are going at the same time as us, different place, but are not there to water them,for us.
All sounds like common sense to me

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's been far to wet to get on my allotment, I'll just be turning over mud. I did manage to put carpet down at the end of last year so most of the soil is covered.
Also it's been difficult for time as I've been spending far too many hours following the Albion. Next week I'll be planting new potatoes and onion sets.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You could try asking [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION].

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You could try asking [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION].

You leave me out of your soil-bothering activities, thank you very much :hilton:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20190419-113700_Gallery.jpg
Who's in their garden, allotment or any other type of green fingering activity today.
Its glorious here in HA4.
Just planted up me mange touts :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here