Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'd be astonished if Lehmann is still in place when the next Ashes come round. CA will need to address, and be SEEN to address the whole culture of the squad, that is so clearly not right. Lehmann is at the heart of that. If they don't think they have enough to dismiss him over this affair (and are scared of the legal ramifications of unfair dismissal, perhaps) then he will surely be put under pressure to leave by mutual consent as soon as possible, and he certainly won't be getting a contract renewal.

Personally I'm still firmly of the opinion he knew what was going on, or at least that 'something' was going on with the ball. And the new tack that it was 'all Warner' is utterly laughable. How does 'the leadership group came up with a plan' possibly translate two days later, to 'Warner made Bancroft do it, and Smith only found out on the field after lunch'. Its patently bollocks.

The independent review into the culture and conduct of the team launched should see to Lehmann, if he doesn't fall on his sword first.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I love seeing the Aussies made to question themselves and not like the answer, it is very funny. A supplier I spoke to yesterday opened with the line 'not about cricket please'. But please, get off your high horses everyone. You cannot really believe that England players have never tampered with the ball?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]978900956527153154[/TWEET]

BTW, anyone else think it's convenient the 12 month bans mean both are available for the World Cup and Ashes?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We can now - it's officially sandpaper.

Is it? Where has that come from? I must admit, the notion of sticking a few bits of dirt (or "granules" as Bancroft so clumsily put it) on a bit of tape didn't quite hold up for me.

Edit: Ah, I see the official report now. Even better. They lied about it to the world's media. No wonder they've been hammered :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
[TWEET]978900956527153154[/TWEET]

BTW, anyone else think it's convenient the 12 month bans mean both are available for the World Cup and Ashes?

I think it seems fair. Plus if any of them come back into the team for the Ashes, imagine the stick they'll get from the crowd :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I love seeing the Aussies made to question themselves and not like the answer, it is very funny. A supplier I spoke to yesterday opened with the line 'not about cricket please'. But please, get off your high horses everyone. You cannot really believe that England players have never tampered with the ball?

This blatantly and such a pre-meditated fashion? I doubt they ever have. It is astonishing. SANDPAPER ffs!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
So the 3 remain eligible for competition outside Australia. Being naughty, how disappointed would you be if Gillespie used his contacts to bring Smith over to Sussex for the summer? Unlikely given his comments this week but still, play along...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This blatantly and such a pre-meditated fashion? I doubt they ever have. It is astonishing. SANDPAPER ffs!

Amazing, isn't it? I mean: this must be the first time that applying sandpaper to one's balls has been heard of outside the niche London club scene.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Oh irony of ironies - the quote below is from the BBC report when Du Plessis was accused of ball tampering:

Du Plessis was found guilty of ball-tampering by the International Cricket Council. He had previously been fined half his match fee for scuffing the ball on the zip of his trousers against Pakistan in 2013.

The charge did not result from any accusations by Australia but vice-captain David Warner told reporters afterwards: "We hold our heads high and I'd be very disappointed if one of our team members did that.

"The rules are in place for a reason. If you're not going to use them why bother having them?

"If you're going to overstep the mark, be prepared to get fined and miss Test matches."

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Amazing, isn't it? I mean: this must be the first time that applying sandpaper to one's balls has been heard of outside the niche London club scene.

yes , yes Edna and as an officer of the law you should know all about that but really on the face of things , Warner and Smith are fuct .....which can only be to the good ....lets face it ...i must admit i am as smug as feck at the moment , Aussie cricket fans are gonna take a while to get this monkey of the back.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
So the 3 remain eligible for competition outside Australia. Being naughty, how disappointed would you be if Gillespie used his contacts to bring Smith over to Sussex for the summer? Unlikely given his comments this week but still, play along...

Steve Smith with his wages paid for by a leading sandpaper manufacturer would be a massive boost for Sussex .

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Maybe Yorkshire should offer Davey Warner a contract. I'm sure he'd get a warm reception at Headingley.

Completely agree with the above points that there is no way this is the full story, Lehman will probably go after this series one way or another and this summer's matches are going to be EPIC from a piss taking point of view.

The fact that it's now come out that it was sandpaper is even funnier as it means they lied about the lie about cheating as well. Amazing levels of arrogance and self entitlement even for Australian cricketers.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
fooking bell enders...a whole legacy of aussie champion cricketers compromised by some funky nuttkin with some sand paper in his jocks ......i know on a world scale it is not important but in a sporting context this is absolute GOLD...!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
fooking bell enders...a whole legacy of aussie champion cricketers compromised by some funky nuttkin with some sand paper in his jocks ......i know on a world scale it is not important but in a sporting context this is absolute GOLD...!!
I'm absolutely convinced that they've been doing this for ages. It goes back to the tape on Warner's hand which he apparently needed when fielding but not batting. The rumours were rife that something was up with the tape and SA weren't happy about it.

First he writes his wife and kids names on the tape to try to justify why he's always studying it so much, then he hands over ball maintenance duties to Bancroft and in the very next test, Bancroft gets caught sandpapering the ball.

It ****ing stinks....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Barmy Army have a good track record for witty ditties encapsulating a theme in cricket.... I look forward to whatever they come up with for the next time we play Australia. I know Smith, Warner & Bancroft will be missing, but the rest of the 'leadership team' are still there, and of course Lehmann is still there.

Mary Poppins: A pocket full of sugar makes a cricket ball reverse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here