Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
People often say look at how other countries deal with snow, but in other countries it is a regular occurrence so they have the infrastructure to cope. Why spend millions on snow ploughs when it snows one day every four years or so.

Indeed. It’s totally understandable why we are not geared up for it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do any of the Michael Fish's on here think there is any faint sniff of a winter and snow 2017/18 still or is it yet another write off ? Not had any real snow for over 7 years, and an Easterly is a once in a lifetime occurrence now. Looking at the forecasts, it seems very benign for at least 2 weeks with no cold weather to be seen and then we have 3-4 week left of any potential winter. Snow in the south of england seems to be a thing of the past now

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The folks on the netweather community aren't giving up yet. Also, for us in the south the real winter is Jan and Feb and even a little into Mar. It's still possible.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The folks on the netweather community aren't giving up yet. Also, for us in the south the real winter is Jan and Feb and even a little into Mar. It's still possible.

Once you get into Feb the sun's strength (at least down here) starts to increase quite quickly. I know we've had some memorable snow in Feb and later, but for a lengthy spell with snow on the ground NOW is the prime time for Sussex.

I see nothing too promising in the data, but we certainly aren't in a classic long fetch SW wind, with temps >13C. Once the Atlantic pushes the block and the stagnant air away I expect a NW / SE aligned jet with opportunities for snow for Scotland and N England, and maybe some flakes further south, but they will only be fleeting as colder air is drawn south as each system passes through.

So, if you look at the Ens graph for somewhere in West Sussex, we DO have & chances of snow

graphe_ens3_znu5.gif

But these are associated with short bursts of colder air, as the 2M temp plot supports

graphe_ens4_xah6.gif

Clearly, the GFS is only 1 of the 3 main models, but I would expect to see any possible 'interesting' weather reflected in the ensemble somehow.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
People often say look at how other countries deal with snow, but in other countries it is a regular occurrence so they have the infrastructure to cope. Why spend millions on snow ploughs when it snows one day every four years or so.

Which would be fine but we're also not geared up for leaves, sun, wrong type of rain and just about every season we do have. We live in England, leaves are not a major surprise unless you are network rail...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Remember visiting friends in Etobicoke and they had a ton of snow overnight, but the place was up and running pretty quickly. New York City had 8-9" of snow yesterday and they were back to normal today - Heathrow gets a dusting of snow and they shut the place
You're joking right?

I got on a plane from London to JFK on Thursday and it was turned back half way thanks to the incompetence of JFK airport.

I took the same flight Friday and it took 4 hours , yes 4 hours to find a stand for the plane once it had landed.

Flying back last night was also abysmal.

JFK is one of the worst airports in the world with easily the rudest tossers working there.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Once you get into Feb the sun's strength (at least down here) starts to increase quite quickly. I know we've had some memorable snow in Feb and later, but for a lengthy spell with snow on the ground NOW is the prime time for Sussex.

I see nothing too promising in the data, but we certainly aren't in a classic long fetch SW wind, with temps >13C. Once the Atlantic pushes the block and the stagnant air away I expect a NW / SE aligned jet with opportunities for snow for Scotland and N England, and maybe some flakes further south, but they will only be fleeting as colder air is drawn south as each system passes through.

So, if you look at the Ens graph for somewhere in West Sussex, we DO have & chances of snow

graphe_ens3_znu5.gif

But these are associated with short bursts of colder air, as the 2M temp plot supports

graphe_ens4_xah6.gif

Clearly, the GFS is only 1 of the 3 main models, but I would expect to see any possible 'interesting' weather reflected in the ensemble somehow.

Any updates on this Papa. Changes increasing?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Any updates on this Papa. Changes increasing?

It's certainly looking interesting next week. This is for near Worthing

graphe_ens3_oxp4.gif

What's going to happen is a large part of the polar vortex will relocate from Greenland to the North Atlantic south of Iceland. This will give us a persistent NW wind with unusually cold airflow involved.

This is unusual having such cold air from a Westerly direction, but not without precedent.

This is for Tuesday

gfseu-0-114_bmq2.png

This will give an extended period of cold conditions, with the air getting slowly colder as we go on.

A NW wind isn't great for snow here, and I'd expect NW England, Wales and Scotland as a whole to get a pasting with snow at times, often from heavy showers.

Here? I'd expect showers and some longer spells of precipitation, with snow / hail / graupel in some of these, which will depend upon many factors (time of day, air temp, intensity etc). I wouldn't rule out settling snow on the downs at times, but also rain at times.

There's a chance of an easterly here later, with colder air still.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
This will give an extended period of cold conditions, with the air getting slowly colder as we go on.

A NW wind isn't great for snow here, and I'd expect NW England, Wales and Scotland as a whole to get a pasting with snow at times, often from heavy showers.

Here? I'd expect showers and some longer spells of precipitation, with snow / hail / graupel in some of these, which will depend upon many factors (time of day, air temp, intensity etc). I wouldn't rule out settling snow on the downs at times, but also rain at times.

Gosh, lets hope so. Not reflected in BBC forecast yet.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Gosh, lets hope so. Not reflected in BBC forecast yet.

It will be.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
All sorts of weather weirdness here. We had the COLDEST ever 5th January last week, when it got down to -23C. Then yesterday was the WARMEST ever 11th January with it getting as high as 13C.

Today has a high of 7C and raining this morning, with the forecast low of -14C and snowing this afternoon.

It needs to make up its mind!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Colder, possibly colder still. Rain, windy, then sleet, possibly hail, and possibly snow. Frost.

Pretty much what we'd expect in January effectively. Like you Papa, I'm a Worthing boy but I don't have to go north of the Downs to work like you do. I'm not expecting anything much in the way of frost and snow down here.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Pretty much what we'd expect in January effectively. Like you Papa, I'm a Worthing boy but I don't have to go north of the Downs to work like you do. I'm not expecting anything much in the way of frost and snow down here.

I would suggest that's a good way to approach it. We don't live down here for the snowfall after all.

We could get some snow and frost next week, but experience tells us that it's more likely to be rain / sleet down here. If the chances increase I'll report back.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not sure where this " cold " weather is mean't to be BBC site has 8 - 10 c daytime max all next week. We all know with a NW wind we never get snow down here or even cold as it is a relatively mild direction. Europe has been very mild all winter and there is nothing at all in the East to suggest and easterly would actually be cold. I am sorry but this winter is a write off

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brighton

Monday 11 c
Tuesday 7 c
Wednesday 7 c
Thursday 10 c
Friday 6 c

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’m currently in Iceland where I though we would be guaranteed some white stuff but it is currently mild and drizzling and no sign of it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here