Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our West Ham warm up

BlueWhiteStripes

Jul 6, 2003
Watched our warm up from behind the goal and thought it was incredibly relaxed and casual - much less intense than the norm at the Amex - more like a pre-season at Worthing than preparation for a vital 'must win' play off qualifier away to a top 3 side. Brez looked like he was half asleep and was hardly worked by Casper and the coach. Thought the rest of the team's work out seemed equally low key. I just don't think the team was properly prepared in those minutes and it showed in the first ten minutes of the match..So apart from the uniquely defensive formation and a team selection inviting pressure - I just don't think the team were ready to play at kick off...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Watched our warm up from behind the goal and thought it was incredibly relaxed and casual - much less intense than the norm at the Amex - more like a pre-season at Worthing than preparation for a vital 'must win' play off qualifier away to a top 3 side. Brez looked like he was half asleep and was hardly worked by Casper and the coach. Thought the rest of the team's work out seemed equally low key. I just don't think the team was properly prepared in those minutes and it showed in the first ten minutes of the match..So apart from the uniquely defensive formation and a team selection inviting pressure - I just don't think the team were ready to play at kick off...

20 posts in nearly 9 years, and when you do finally have something to say it's this! I can't believe that it registered as that big a deal to you. For all we know that was a conscious decision by Gus to play the whole occasion down a bit, maybe he felt some of the players were lookinga bit tense. Who knows?

But either way, I can't see it had a big part to play in the outcome. It's a bit like Harry seeing his team get stuffed 5-1, and saying it was the refs fault because one of teh goals shouldn't have been given. Naah Harry, it was 5-1, or in other words, not close.

We lost 6-0, we weren't a more intense warm-up away from getting anything out of this game.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But either way, I can't see it had a big part to play in the outcome. It's a bit like Harry seeing his team get stuffed 5-1, and saying it was the refs fault because one of teh goals shouldn't have been given. Naah Harry, it was 5-1, or in other words, not close.

I listened on the radio - so you will have a better insight into the day - but the game was lost in the first ten minutes and the pattern of that 10 minutes was set in the first two minutes.

Players have to be right up for games from the start. From the commentary it sounded like we were not ready. If the OP thinks the warm-ups was relaxed and casual - that is relevant. If the relaxed nature of the warm-up was part of a plan - well that needs looking at.

And nothing like the analogy to the Spurs game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:facepalm:Really??? Could you not think of anything else to start a thread with accept this irrelevent drivel. If you going to have moan at least find something relevant to moan about.

Crap Team - Crap Warm Up

I think it is lazy to have a pop at the OP for this. I'm not expecting a 5 mile training run consisting of 200 laps of the perimeter of the pitch, but you want to see some purpose, surely? If not to warm up muscles, then to sharpen the player's minds to the task ahead. In any case, it is something to point out for the benefit of those who didn't go.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
:facepalm:Really??? Could you not think of anything else to start a thread with accept this irrelevent drivel. If you going to have moan at least find something relevant to moan about.

It is a well made point unlike your spelling which is poorly made.
If the team sheet said ...we're not going to score all night....to the fans do you not think the players may have noted this as it's their profession & affected their attitude

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
The fact that we didn't start the game well is not even up for debate.
In my opinion the players and staff looked pretty relaxed in the warm. I would say this is a sensible approach to a big game, unfortunately once the whistle went we froze like rabbits stuck in the headlights.
for the OP, I wouldn't pay much attention to people having a go at you for offering your opinion on an albion match that you actually attended.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Players have to be right up for games from the start. From the commentary it sounded like we were not ready. If the OP thinks the warm-ups was relaxed and casual - that is relevant. If the relaxed nature of the warm-up was part of a plan - well that needs looking at.

I would have thought that is far more about what happens between warm-up and going back out for the start of the game. The teamtalk; and we have absolutely no way of knowing that.

And nothing like the analogy to the Spurs game.

Only in that we were well beaten, and that comes from a number of causes, not just one.

BlueWhiteStripes

Jul 6, 2003
Well I still don't think my post was irrelevant drivel and yes, it was because the half-hearted warm-up did strike me as a big deal such that l that I made a very rare post.Normally things I feel strongly about are well covered by other NSC posts, but I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere else and thought it worth a mention. I love the Albion and Gus, but this was wrong. After that warm up I said to my son before the kick off we've lost this..and I went on to see the second biggest defeat I've seen the Albion suffer (worst was 2-8 to Bristol Rovers). I was upset at the display and think some of it stemmed from the attitude set in the warm up. Having watched the albion for 50+ years I still maintain that it was a notably aimless warm up, but I never said it was the only reason - my OP also mentiioned team formation and selection.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would have thought that is far more about what happens between warm-up and going back out for the start of the game. The teamtalk; and we have absolutely no way of knowing that.

It is what it is called - a warm-up. You get players physically and mentally focused. Mental preparation does not just come from the final words from the manager.

Only in that we were well beaten, and that comes from a number of causes, not just one.

No-one has said it was the only cause - those are your words.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The warm up was so bad it made a kid in the front row cry

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here