Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indian takeaway in Worthing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Moving slightly out of Worthing, the Bengal Tandoori in East Preston is consistently better than any I have been to in Worthing.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm always surprised by recommendations of good Worthing restaurants. There was another thread a couple of weeks ago.. I don't go to Worthing much anymore, but on the whole my eating-out experiences have been poor. Here is my rebuttal to recommendations I've seen recently on here: Mahaan (dry meat, burnt sauce); Efes (salty, microwaved food that isn't mixed properly so is warm in places and cold in others, grilled tomatoes that have come out the fridge and are stone-cold; Tex-Mex (under cooked side orders e.g. hard potato wedges; poor fajitas, no colour on chicken/onions/peppers = no flavour, lack of seasoning, mushy onions/peppers).

The best curry I've had in Worthing has been from The Royal Jaipur, but they are not consistent in terms of food quality and often mess up orders, and so to be safe I would go for Shafiques which is pretty consistently decent.

Brighton/Hove on the other hand is absolutely fantastic for eating out. It doesn't get much better than Shandiz in Hove for a Persian feast.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm always surprised by recommendations of good Worthing restaurants. There was another thread a couple of weeks ago.. I don't go to Worthing much anymore, but on the whole my eating-out experiences have been poor. Here is my rebuttal to recommendations I've seen recently on here: Mahaan (dry meat, burnt sauce); Efes (salty, microwaved food that isn't mixed properly so is warm in places and cold in others, grilled tomatoes that have come out the fridge and are stone-cold; Tex-Mex (under cooked side orders e.g. hard potato wedges; poor fajitas, no colour on chicken/onions/peppers = no flavour, lack of seasoning, mushy onions/peppers).

The best curry I've had in Worthing has been from The Royal Jaipur, but they are not consistent in terms of food quality and often mess up orders, and so to be safe I would go for Shafiques which is pretty consistently decent.

Brighton/Hove on the other hand is absolutely fantastic for eating out. It doesn't get much better than Shandiz in Hove for a Persian feast.

What would you recommend in Shandiz? The menu doesn't look that vast. When I worked in London I eat in Mohsen in Warwick Road a few times the bread and Lamb were always fantastic.

We had a Kurzi Lamb delivered from Mahaan on Friday night, which was my birthday treat and it didn't disappoint. Also the Gurkha Tandoori has some good Nepalese dishes.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What would you recommend in Shandiz? The menu doesn't look that vast. When I worked in London I eat in Mohsen in Warwick Road a few times the bread and Lamb were always fantastic.

We had a Kurzi Lamb delivered from Mahaan on Friday night, which was my birthday treat and it didn't disappoint. Also the Gurkha Tandoori has some good Nepalese dishes.

A mixed grill is what I often go for, along with a stew on the side. Tender and tasty fresh meat, and the lamb fillet is brilliant. If you like rice, you can ask for three kinds on one plate - normal, broad bean and barberry. For a safe stew, I would go for the aubergine/lamb Gheymeh. The Ghormeh Sabzi is great too, but not everyone likes it. I always enjoy their starters with fresh, warm bread as well. They are all pretty good, but it depends on your tastes. My favourite is the Salad Olivieh, but there are safer options on the menu.

There are other good options on the menu too, but it is a bit smaller compared to some other Persian restaurants. That's probably a good thing as you can be sure what you're getting is going to be fresh because of the turnover. It's always busy in there as well, which is another good sign.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

If you don't think you can get a decent Ruby in Worthing then you should of course stay in Brighton. Eshna's in East Worthing and the Golden Bengal on Lyndhurst road are good tho for takeaways.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
-Mex (under cooked side orders e.g. hard potato wedges; poor fajitas, no colour on chicken/onions/peppers = no flavour, lack of seasoning, mushy onions/peppers).

Agreed. But they are very tolerant of boisterous parties and also do free kids meals which is why it is popular.

Only good Mexican is Salsa Viva pop up take away at Feast Cafe. Believe they are looking to open a restaurant

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Moving slightly out of Worthing, the Bengal Tandoori in East Preston is consistently better than any I have been to in Worthing.

Moving even further out of Worthing, the Cowfold Cottage Tandoori is absolutely dreadful.

(Sorry Mustafa, but it needs to said).

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Seems we're blessed in Worthing. I've yet to be disappointed with The Anaz in Findon Valley.
Anaz for me too. Always used to use Curryland but been using Anaz last few years but gave Curryland another go recently and it wasn't even in the same league so back to Anaz for me. Never had a bad meal (eat in or takeaway) from there

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stay well away from the Jafflong, awful food.

One of my sons who lives in Ferring says the same but a relative of my sister in law who also lives in Ferring swears by it but that is probably because it is cheap and BYO drinks and she is one for anything cheap, although being wealthy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anaz for me too. Always used to use Curryland but been using Anaz last few years but gave Curryland another go recently and it wasn't even in the same league so back to Anaz for me. Never had a bad meal (eat in or takeaway) from there

Is that the one on the left going towards Findon village from Offington Corner near the BP Garage

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Stay well away from the Jafflong, awful food.

Haha, I spoke to my dad last night and he said there's been immigration raids in the middle of the evening dinner rush by the Border Agency. I humbly retract that recommendation. It may be the nearest to us, but that's not saying a lot about quality, especially in a village the size of Leon Knight's pinkie.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Weird innit , I never get my take away from a restaurant either. Should probably try shafiques for a take away at some point

I had a meal at Shafiques a while back and wasn't very impressed. Perhaps they were having an off night because they used to be very good.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
One of my sons who lives in Ferring says the same but a relative of my sister in law who also lives in Ferring swears by it but that is probably because it is cheap and BYO drinks and she is one for anything cheap, although being wealthy.

The last meal I had in that place put me off eating there ever again.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had a meal at Shafiques a while back and wasn't very impressed. Perhaps they were having an off night because they used to be very good.

I originally did that place up in 1986 when it first opened. Shafique was a lovely chap and the only owner of the many Indian restaurants we did up who didn't try and haggle on the price at the end of the job. Couldn't explain that a price was a price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here