Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Extraordinary. My flabber is gasted.
It wouldn't even cross my mind to claim for overtime while I'm on holiday.

It's more aimed at people who do regular or contractual overtime like our lads who are on formal call out rota

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Every time I think my work life is bad (and I genuinely have no justification for any grievances) I come onto this thread and the sun immediately starts shining again.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Extraordinary. My flabber is gasted.
It wouldn't even cross my mind to claim for overtime while I'm on holiday.

Isn't it to do with compensating where you do overtime throughout the year? Say your contract is 20 hours, but over a year you average 25 hours, you're entitled to the 25 hour a week pay instead of 20.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Probably mentioned this person before.

One of my colleagues works 20 hours a week. As such, they do not accrue nearly as many holiday hours as the rest of us do. So let's say they only get 80hours, while the rest of us get double that. Which is reasonable, no?

Over the space of four or five weeks, they managed to use ALL of their allowance. Bear in mind that it takes the rest of us nearly a year to take that much holiday.

I'd say that it added to our workload but they're neither use nor ornament so we only missed them insofar as we didn't see them for that period of time.

When they got back to work, we'd just been paid and immediately they made a beeline for the manager claiming to have been severely underpaid and that they were having a problem booking more holiday. So we went through their rota with them and reminded them that at our company, if you take annual leave you only get paid for your basic contracted hours only to be met with the fact that, as it was summer, they assumed they'd be getting paid for potential overtime hours as well (what?). Not believing we had to tell them this, and not being able to dumb it down further, we pointed out that you will only be paid overtime if you work overtime.

Eventually they refused to stop complaining that people get paid more so the deputy manager stopped explaining and shouted "you decided that you'd book your entire annual leave allowance at once, haven't been here for five weeks and you have left holes that your colleagues have had to fill, so don't be so stupid".

We thought that's the last we'd hear of this matter, but every time we see them now they tell about how it's completely unfair and that management are bullying them. As I've said before, working without them wouldn't seem like a sweat because they add nothing, but the relentless stupidity is taking it's toll. We we've told our supervisor to deal with it (which was met with 'that's for me to do' and no action) and our managers genuinely seem to be oblivious despite seeing it every day.

Bucking the trend here, but don't tell your colleague.
But as I work shift and get shift pay added to my basic wage, I still get played this when on holiday.
Also I can do overtime on my stand down days whilst on holiday.
Different strokes I guess :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Every time I think my work life is bad (and I genuinely have no justification for any grievances) I come onto this thread and the sun immediately starts shining again.

100% this.

It also always reminds me how lucky I am that I don't have to get involved in office politics anymore. When I tell people that I work from home most of the time they often ask something like "don't you miss the social side of being in the office?".

*stares blankly and shakes head*

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
on a bit of a tangent but how come they were able to take all their leave in one go so early in the year? I'm probably missing something but where I have worked you normally can't take more leave than you have accrued?

Common sense can be applied to the above, but if I went to my boss and said I wanted to take all my annual leave this early on I think I'd have it declined.

you'd have thought, right? It was approved by one of them!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's more aimed at people who do regular or contractual overtime like our lads who are on formal call out rota

Agreed. Applies to calculation of redundancy too. Guy who used to work for me as a messenger in one of the banks I worked in used to get in at 6.30am every day to 'open the building' and habitually claimed 2.5 hours a day O/T - he got this included as 'contractual' when I managed to secure him the exit he wanted (after 30 years service). Added a very large amount to his payout. Fact is, he let himself in, then sat on his arse reading the paper for 2 hours [emoji23][emoji23]

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
with respect, even though they usually work 20 hours a week so should be familiar with the work, we regularly (in fact, daily) have to tell/show them:

-how to do their job (uses the don't work here as much card)
-not to leave half drunk cups of water around the workplace, if they are to bring some in it has to be in a container (they have a tendancy to leave cups of it next to sockets, computers, in public areas and tends not to see a problem with this)
-to be present on the sales floor at all times when working alone (an expensive load of stock got stolen the other day beause they turned their back, they then blamed the manager until we proved the manager wasn't present on CCTV)
-to get to work before their shift starts to be ready to work when it starts (feels entitled to start 15 mins late because she should be able to eat/drink/get ready but doesn't want to do it on her time)

By no means would I ever talk to them like manager did, because it's not my job. If I was a manager, than yes, I would. It's not on me to deal with it but despite repeated and thorough explaining how the job works, we shouldn't have to just tolerate it.

I like the way you have been guarded as to the sex of the person in all the previous posts except this where you let it slip :)

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Had to sit through a presentation from two teenagers from the Innovation Team today. Blood was already boiling at their self-congratulation for being able to "think differently" by "putting the customer first", when they suddenly upped the bell cheese anti with talk of running an "idea-ation" at which multi-disciplinary teams can meet to "idea-ate" leading up to a "hackathon"...
WTF are you talking about you gibbering buffoons? Idea-ters the lot of them....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
with respect, even though they usually work 20 hours a week so should be familiar with the work, we regularly (in fact, daily) have to tell/show them:

-how to do their job (uses the don't work here as much card)
-not to leave half drunk cups of water around the workplace, if they are to bring some in it has to be in a container (they have a tendancy to leave cups of it next to sockets, computers, in public areas and tends not to see a problem with this)
-to be present on the sales floor at all times when working alone (an expensive load of stock got stolen the other day beause they turned their back, they then blamed the manager until we proved the manager wasn't present on CCTV)
-to get to work before their shift starts to be ready to work when it starts (feels entitled to start 15 mins late because she should be able to eat/drink/get ready but doesn't want to do it on her time)

By no means would I ever talk to them like manager did, because it's not my job. If I was a manager, than yes, I would. It's not on me to deal with it but despite repeated and thorough explaining how the job works, we shouldn't have to just tolerate it.

sounds so familiar.....so many bell -ends in the work force theses days ....self entitled , indignant and useless..........i ended up quitting my job as a building supervisor because i was either going to strangle some twatt or get a heart attack......got my own gig now....:thumbsup:

Had to sit through a presentation from two teenagers from the Innovation Team today. Blood was already boiling at their self-congratulation for being able to "think differently" by "putting the customer first", when they suddenly upped the bell cheese anti with talk of running an "idea-ation" at which multi-disciplinary teams can meet to "idea-ate" leading up to a "hackathon"...

Anyone on here have "fond" memories of the "Customer First" initiative launched many, many years ago when I were but a lad working in a high st bank? It was the one with an equine symbol and I recall that, over a three day period, a third of each branch's work force were bussed off to various venues for indoctrination. Unfortunately the dates they chose for this were around the Easter Bank Holidays period so chaos ensued in the branches. Our curmudgeonly first cashier had great delight in telling customers that the reason for the lengthy queues and shortage of staff to deal with their enquiries was due to everyone being trained to improve customer service!

At the actual session the usual b*ll s*it was propounded with forced jollity by fresh faced management trainees . One group exercise was to choose an animal and its various qualities to illustrate good service. One keen chap chose a Black Racehorse , which made the trainers face light up with joy. The chap went on to describe qualities such as full of energy, strength and endurance, keen to win the race, etc etc, which led up to his punchline which brought the house down "....and when my work is done and I retire I get put out to stud"!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I love this thread.. in particular The picture in my head of a whole audience of good old British workers uniformly sitting back in their chairs, folding their arms, and thinking "go on then......motivate ME". Our absolute delight in refusing to be motivated by any means is a constant source of delight..
Incidentally, I attended a Global company meeting in the US, and the breakfast meeting on day 1 ended with a song.. not just any old song, but a bespoke, specially written, emotional power ballad in the Michael Bolton style.. the "big-finish" ended up with attempts to get the audience on their feet, clapping, stadium-style.. the contrast of cultures was fantastic ... this was 0830 in the morning, with over half the audience (about 75 people) jet-lagged... I had to film it on my phone to stop myself from being the Brit who refused to join in... it was great.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

A few years back our management had an "initiative" (yes, another one) and called it something like Forward Focussed. This one was different because "we", the underlings, would come up with it ourselves. So they formed a team to go away for a few weeks and come up with something "game changing".
Each manager was asked to give a team member to the new cause; So they did what anyone would do in that situation, they gave the new team their bell-end.
The new team, coming up with the game changing plan was, therefore, comprised almost entirely of slackers, buffoons and twats.
After about 3 months of travelling up and down the country, endless meetings and brainstorming sessions (and nights out on expenses) what they came up with was a little bit short of "game changing".
I was on the first tranche of "inductees", as was my tier 2 manager. About an hour into the first session of the WEEK LONG programme he said "This is bollocks, I'm off. I'll not be back".
Several others of us also made similar excuses and left.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A few years back our management had an "initiative" (yes, another one) and called it something like Forward Focussed. This one was different because "we", the underlings, would come up with it ourselves. So they formed a team to go away for a few weeks and come up with something "game changing".
Each manager was asked to give a team member to the new cause; So they did what anyone would do in that situation, they gave the new team their bell-end.
The new team, coming up with the game changing plan was, therefore, comprised almost entirely of slackers, buffoons and twats.
After about 3 months of travelling up and down the country, endless meetings and brainstorming sessions (and nights out on expenses) what they came up with was a little bit short of "game changing".
I was on the first tranche of "inductees", as was my tier 2 manager. About an hour into the first session of the WEEK LONG programme he said "This is bollocks, I'm off. I'll not be back".
Several others of us also made similar excuses and left.

This is a tantalising story, I want details!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone on here have "fond" memories of the "Customer First" initiative launched many, many years ago when I were but a lad working in a high st bank? It was the one with an equine symbol and I recall that, over a three day period, a third of each branch's work force were bussed off to various venues for indoctrination. Unfortunately the dates they chose for this were around the Easter Bank Holidays period so chaos ensued in the branches. Our curmudgeonly first cashier had great delight in telling customers that the reason for the lengthy queues and shortage of staff to deal with their enquiries was due to everyone being trained to improve customer service!

At the actual session the usual b*ll s*it was propounded with forced jollity by fresh faced management trainees . One group exercise was to choose an animal and its various qualities to illustrate good service. One keen chap chose a Black Racehorse , which made the trainers face light up with joy. The chap went on to describe qualities such as full of energy, strength and endurance, keen to win the race, etc etc, which led up to his punchline which brought the house down "....and when my work is done and I retire I get put out to stud"!
Yep, me. Would have been around 1986 I think (I was an MD management trainee at Axminster in Devon). Some fresh-faced uber-confident presenter telling you to stand in the middle of a lift, smile and speak to everyone. Not sure what happened - everyone in the lifts these days are catching jigglypuffs.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Seeming as we're on the subject of overtime;

At my work you can pick up as much overtime as you want as long as there's enough work to go around. For the first 5 hours of overtime you are paid your normal rate, after that you are paid time and a half. On Monday we were told there would be an OT Saturday shift (everyone works Mon-Fri). Needing the cash I thought this was a perfect chance to earn a bit extra. I work the late shift at work so the plan was to come in 3 hours early every day from Tuesday onwards and then work the early shift on Saturday for six hours. 18 hours overtime, 13 at time and a half would do my finances a world of good.

Despite being promised there would be overtime, I have now been told there will be no overtime on Saturday. Already done the hours at normal pay but half of my extra pay hours have been taken away ffs. C*nts :cry:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This is a tantalising story, I want details!

I can't remember a lot of it but we had to introduce ourselves to each other despite the fact we'd worked together for several years. Then we had to come up with answers to questions like "Who do you see as a role model ?" A couple of people said their dads, others said Captain Kirk, Tarzan & Ron Jeremy. I said I didn't have a role model because I am unique.
Another thing they came up with was "you have the power to change any part of the job for the better". So we said "can we change XYZ ?" and the tier 2 said "no, that has to stay the same". Rinse and repeat.
Eventually it turns out things we can change is stuff like using our own mice/keyboards and swapping desks (we hot-desked anyway).
It was a complete and utter waste of time.

If I get time (and there's demand) I will tell of the most recent complete fiasco.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't get why organisations are so obsessed with 'supporting' people that are off sick all the time?! All I ever hear is about person X has (insert nonsense affliction here) and we have to support them in their return to work. These lazy arsed workshy clungemonkeys are taking the piss but we have to 'support' them all the bleeding time. Some of them have been off for so long or so regularly they have to be retrained to do their job just in time of course to coincide with their next bout of non-specific wanker syndrome. And when they finally do drag their useless fat arses back to work, inevitably just a few days before they go onto half pay or some other sanction they are trying to avoid, they are only in 3 hours a day because any more than that will break their fragile brains or bodies FFS. On the off chance you do see them in a remarkably rare work situation and ask them to do anything they pull the occupational risk assessment card out of the bag and start droning on and on about not being able to do the task you asked as it isn't on the list of things they are allowed to do. Professional work dodgers, the bane of any workplace.

You forgot that after spending all this time off work the next thing they do is book holiday, as they have accrued so much while they have been sick/skiving.!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here