Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Alan Sugar in the sh*t !!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why is this seen as a right wing issue? Shouldn't the left be concerned about these things too? - and if not, what the hell are they worrying about that is more important?

Everyone should be, I agree.

Through my work, I spoke to a woman yesterday in her 30’s with kids. After a divorce she’s living with her parents, miles down the BHCC housing list.

And all most homeowners and councillors do in the I’m alright Jack south of England is oppose new housing developments tooth and nail. Even brownfield. The selfishness.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Who would have argued the other side? Jim Davidson?

You’re missing the point, she trotted out loads of misplaced outrage underlining her prejudices and ignorance. And why do you feel the need to mock with an extreme example. Jim D and Lord Sugar couldn’t be more different. Unless you think all white people look the same...?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Everyone should be, I agree.

Through my work, I spoke to a woman yesterday in her 30’s with kids. After a divorce she’s living with her parents, miles down the BHCC housing list.

And all most homeowners and councillors do in the I’m alright Jack south of England is oppose new housing developments tooth and nail. Even brownfield. The selfishness.

Most people haven't a hope in hell of getting a property off the BHCC housing list, even worse when you see the amount of empty properties around the city and the amount of space where you could build. The trouble is the more you build the more rents will drop and vested interests win out all the time

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Most people haven't a hope in hell of getting a property off the BHCC housing list, even worse when you see the amount of empty properties around the city and the amount of space where you could build. The trouble is the more you build the more rents will drop and vested interests win out all the time

This!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a problem with anyone in the public eye making these sorts of racist jokes. This one is probably not particularly offensive, but it's not funny either or a decent thing to say, so why bother? And when that person comes from a minority group himself, you have to say he really should know better.

But for all that, people demanding the sort of action [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is talking about also need to have a word with themselves. We really ought to be at a point in society where we can discuss and condemn casual racism for what it is, and not treat it as something far, far worse such as racially-motivated ABH or murder.

So people who scream "racist!" as per US's example really irritate me. I mean what has Sugar really done apart from embarrass himself? It's like treating rapists and murderers in the same way as a hungry beggar who steals a chocolate bar from a newsagent.

I agree to a point. But taking away his knighthood will show very clearly that the nation doesn’t stand by racism however casual; a very small but highly visible action.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree to a point. But taking away his knighthood will show very clearly that the nation doesn’t stand by racism however casual; a very small but highly visible action.
No it really would do nothing of the sort. In fact, that would be the establishment equivalent of the bell-ends Uncle Spielberg was talking about earlier.

It would highlight how stupid the honours system is though. That a bloke be stripped of an honour for saying something a bit stupid, while Sir Phillip Green - at best, indirectly responsible for thousands of job losses owing to corporate greed - gets to keep his, along with that **** running one of the train companies with absolutely no shame whatsoever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No it really would do nothing of the sort. In fact, that would be the establishment equivalent of the bell-ends Uncle Spielberg was talking about earlier.

It would highlight how stupid the honours system is though. That a bloke be stripped of an honour for saying something a bit stupid, while Sir Phillip Green - at best, indirectly responsible for thousands of job losses owing to corporate greed - gets to keep his, along with that **** running one of the train companies with absolutely no shame whatsoever.

Don’t worry, I’ll strip them of their knighthoods as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

One of the supposed great British traits is tolerance. Where is your tolerance over what was a silly mistake by Sugar for which he has profusely apologised?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One of the supposed great British traits is tolerance. Where is your tolerance over what was a silly mistake by Sugar for which he has profusely apologised?

Yes, but you're forgetting that we are encumbered with the very intolerant self-appointed guardians of tolerance who tell us what we must tolerate - such as, for instance, travellers (free spirited people gamely trying to uphold their precious cultural traditions), or graffiti (it's art :facepalm:) - and what we must not tolerate (generally things they don't like, or which they feel are not generating sufficient outrage).

We just have to learn to tolerate them, I suppose..................

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You’re missing the point, she trotted out loads of misplaced outrage underlining her prejudices and ignorance. And why do you feel the need to mock with an extreme example. Jim D and Lord Sugar couldn’t be more different. Unless you think all white people look the same...?

OK, nominate someone you feel would be prepared to go on TV, and argue that Alan Sugar has every right to make a racist joke and should not be criticised for doing so. Given that Sir Alan tweeted a racist joke, I would say he has more in common with Jim D than just skin colour.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Racism: 'Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior' - OED

While the joke is crap and he should know better. How is it racist?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, but you're forgetting that we are encumbered with the very intolerant self-appointed guardians of tolerance who tell us what we must tolerate - such as, for instance, travellers (free spirited people gamely trying to uphold their precious cultural traditions), or graffiti (it's art :facepalm:) - and what we must not tolerate (generally things they don't like, or which they feel are not generating sufficient outrage).

We just have to learn to tolerate them, I suppose..................

Good point well made, not sure you’ll get a response from HT though?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So I now have to follow prescribed stereotypical British traits do I? What else would you like me to do, chat endlessly about the weather? Wear shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops when it hits 15 degrees? Queue, and mutter about queue jumpers behind their backs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So I now have to follow prescribed stereotypical British traits do I? What else would you like me to do, chat endlessly about the weather?

It's not a stereotype. By global standards Britain is one of the most tolerant nations on earth when it comes to race, religion, sexuality, freedom of speech and I believe this ingrained trait is a prevalent as it ever was, perhaps more so now.

Stripping the guy of his knighthood after a silly tweet is an over-reaction. Do you take the money out of your wife's housekeeping when she accidentally smashes a plate?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here