Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The future of faith: young people switched off?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Would depend how you define 'full on Christian' I guess.

My wife is a regular churchgoer, as are all her family, and large numbers of our circle of friends (as we met most through the children's Catholic schooling) and I don't know of any amongst them who would consider any significant part of the Bible to be taken absolutely literally.

What say you [MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] ?

I feel honoured to have been mentioned by HKFC.

And I agree totally with HKFC's point.

I've posted elsewhere on this thread that the God created the world in 7 days bit is a "story", and that most Christians I know would accept Darwinism and the like, and don't really believe that the world has only existed for 4,500 years, or whatever the figure is.

Without going on for too long, it is the teachings and the "tone" of the whole thing which is most important. I was involved in a conversation a while ago where a fully trained preacher put forward the idea that he had found somewhere else that Jesus was actually the result of Mary being raped by a Roman Soldier, and that Joseph was a very good and kind man who looked after when no one else would, which is a good example in the first place.

But whether you believe in the immaculate conception or the resurrection or not, it is the teachings and the example of "how to live your life" which are some of the main things about it - about 90% of the bible is about justice. There is a great deal of good teaching in the Old Testament (and some cr@p as well), but whatever you read in the OT or the NT has to be interpreted as to how it is relevant to us today. Jesus in turn was "correcting" some of the over-zealous interpretations and applications of the Jewish Law..... because he was a Jew!

A lot of it, whether NT or OT, is about interpretation. and different people will interpret different things in different ways. It doesn't say anything in the Bible about Facebook and the use or abuse of personal data. People are supposed to use their brains to think about the rights and wrongs of it all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just look at most of the replies in this thread. Loads want to see an end to religion completely. They feel very strongly about that but when it comes to actually doing something themselves it's indifference. They want an end to Christianity but they can't even find the energy to use an alternative word to describe Christmas.

fair enough, lets promote use of Yule and Yuletide. done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Love it. Quantum - theory based on theory. Might as well say a dude with a beard waved his hand and it all appeared in 7 days. Quantum or religious belief, they can both be pulled out of a hat with no actual proof.

quite alot of proof for quantum mechanics, with real application from nuclear power to lasers. how precisely quantum mechanics function in all scenarios is open to some question, with interesting consequences from nothing exists until measured, to everything exists in infinite number of variations. benefit of science over religion is those differences are discussed and debated, and no one gets tortured or goes to war over them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's amusing that so many people say they have no faith, but talk about karma (Budhism) and yoga (Hinduism).

I have no faith and today have been mostly talking about Geoff and his trainspotting Youtube videos.

I do not believe Geoff is a deity, although it would probably be a nicer world if he was.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Faith? No. Christianity? Yes.

Being enlightened here in the UK, we have evolved beyond religious fervour somewhat. Muslims haven't had that pleasure, being only relatively recent immigrants to our fine country in great number. Naturally they've brought their developing country mentality (and religion) with them.

In a few hundred years, they'll grow out of it.

Two generations is the rule. The students I teach (top university, bright kids, very high percentage of 'ethnic minorities') don't bring their parents' religion to college. Twenty years ago the muslim males were rather different - some quite uncomfortable with things. That is simply gone....Actually if I offered a day out at my college to certain posters on here, and they surrendered their bias at the door, they would end the day as different people.

I spent several years in Vancouver in the 80s and saw how the same sort of thing happened with the Chinese immigrants. Yes there were some slow ones back in the boonies (sticks), but the university of BC was awash with kids integrating. Close your eyes and you were listening to Canadians. When I close my eyes at work all I hear are English people (plus the occasional jock, American, Swede, actual overseas fees-paying Indian, etc).

In 1984 Winston Smith was invited to put his faith in the proles. Trust me, the proles influence nothing. Look instead at what the ambitious are doing.....I teach them. They are very, very impressive. Nobody deals in religion, whatever they may pretend to their parents when the go home for the vacations.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I feel honoured to have been mentioned by HKFC.

And I agree totally with HKFC's point.

I've posted elsewhere on this thread that the God created the world in 7 days bit is a "story", and that most Christians I know would accept Darwinism and the like, and don't really believe that the world has only existed for 4,500 years, or whatever the figure is.

Without going on for too long, it is the teachings and the "tone" of the whole thing which is most important. I was involved in a conversation a while ago where a fully trained preacher put forward the idea that he had found somewhere else that Jesus was actually the result of Mary being raped by a Roman Soldier, and that Joseph was a very good and kind man who looked after when no one else would, which is a good example in the first place.

But whether you believe in the immaculate conception or the resurrection or not, it is the teachings and the example of "how to live your life" which are some of the main things about it - about 90% of the bible is about justice. There is a great deal of good teaching in the Old Testament (and some cr@p as well), but whatever you read in the OT or the NT has to be interpreted as to how it is relevant to us today. Jesus in turn was "correcting" some of the over-zealous interpretations and applications of the Jewish Law..... because he was a Jew!

A lot of it, whether NT or OT, is about interpretation. and different people will interpret different things in different ways. It doesn't say anything in the Bible about Facebook and the use or abuse of personal data. People are supposed to use their brains to think about the rights and wrongs of it all.

This is a position(highlighted) you find yourself in today because you are forced to accept it as science shows the creation story is a lie, today christians will say its just a story(not all unfortunately), but a few hundred years ago you would have been forced to accept the reverse and that the creation story was gospel truth and would have argued it was true, saying otherwise would find you at the wrong end of a hot poker and probably in a duck weighing witchcraft trial scenario.You are a result of a softening of ideology and a realisation you must be open to criticism and must adapt, shame this thinking cant be employed across all religions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
quite alot of proof for quantum mechanics, with real application from nuclear power to lasers. how precisely quantum mechanics function in all scenarios is open to some question, with interesting consequences from nothing exists until measured, to everything exists in infinite number of variations. benefit of science over religion is those differences are discussed and debated, and no one gets tortured or goes to war over them.

Gallileo was put to death. Albeit.....by the christians. :lolol:

Post - spot on :thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Two generations is the rule. The students I teach (top university, bright kids, very high percentage of 'ethnic minorities') don't bring their parents' religion to college. Twenty years ago the muslim males were rather different - some quite uncomfortable with things. That is simply gone....Actually if I offered a day out at my college to certain posters on here, and they surrendered their bias at the door, they would end the day as different people.

I spent several years in Vancouver in the 80s and saw how the same sort of thing happened with the Chinese immigrants. Yes there were some slow ones back in the boonies (sticks), but the university of BC was awash with kids integrating. Close your eyes and you were listening to Canadians. When I close my eyes at work all I hear are English people (plus the occasional jock, American, Swede, actual overseas fees-paying Indian, etc).

In 1984 Winston Smith was invited to put his faith in the proles. Trust me, the proles influence nothing. Look instead at what the ambitious are doing.....I teach them. They are very, very impressive. Nobody deals in religion, whatever they may pretend to their parents when the go home for the vacations.

Fascinating read. Too pished to offer anything more, just so productive to have a sensible chat.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here