Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah the article makes them sound like ideal winter hacks, that cover commuting, and light off-road.
I'll be getting a hack anyway, through cycle 2 work, and as said had convinced myself it would be a cyclocross bike.
I can't ride another winter on my pride and joy as I'll ruin it.

The other problem is the article says the range is a close relation to a Canyon Endurace, which is what I was hoping to update my Summer bike with.
That in turn has me thinking I could update my Summer bike with a 'balls out' racer, but that does rather smack of short-termism for a rider like me.

Oh decisions decisions, all this I'll end up with a second hand Carrera.
Aeroad it is SB. Going fast is fun, the "sportive" bike position is a load of shit for people who's gut stops them getting properly aero! [emoji1]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aeroad it is SB. Going fast is fun, the "sportive" bike position is a load of shit for people who's gut stops them getting properly aero! [emoji1]
That's me :thumbsup:

I think I'm far to indoctrinated in shapely frames.
The Aeroad is too angular for me.

As I'm now home this morning :angry: I think I might investigate Bianchi frames, as wheels aside I'm happy with the components on my current summer bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION] has set us on a hydration and nutrition course here's a couple of articles:-

Want to eat all these? Just ride ONE stage of the TdF then
http://road.cc/content/news/153739-want-eat-all-these-just-ride-one-stage-tdf-then

The best carbs for cycling - what to eat and when
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/the-best-carbs-for-cycling-what-to-eat-and-when-34900/

For me when I'm working hard, (headwind 'gentle' spin with Colin etc) the first thing I always forget is hydration.
My mind is elsewhere and I don't drink.
I find the tipping point from ok to oh f*** is a very narrow window.
Once on the other side I drink and eat for England but I can never get enough back into my body so that I'm feeling how I was say 30 minutes earlier.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Gravel bikes are clearly on their way:-

But one fork - fook off.

http://road.cc/content/news/154037-...se-new-road-gravel-bike-lefty-suspension-fork

OK, I have stayed out of this Gravel Bike BS for long enough. They are just cyclocross bikes, rebranded. Off road geometry? Yep, cyclocross bikes have that. 'Better' brakes? Yep, cyclocross. Fatter tyres? Even road bikes are moving that way now! If you want to waste your money on this nonsense go ahead but you would be better off buying a decent steel frame with mudguard clearance, and some bomb proof wheels. Same thing, not several thousand pounds. Ritchey do a really nice steel cyclocross frame, for about £800 that would probably be my choice.

Also where are these gravel paths? I suppose there is the downslink. What do you do after that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK, I have stayed out of this Gravel Bike BS for long enough. They are just cyclocross bikes, rebranded. Off road geometry? Yep, cyclocross bikes have that. 'Better' brakes? Yep, cyclocross. Fatter tyres? Even road bikes are moving that way now! If you want to waste your money on this nonsense go ahead but you would be better off buying a decent steel frame with mudguard clearance, and some bomb proof wheels. Same thing, not several thousand pounds. Ritchey do a really nice steel cyclocross frame, for about £800 that would probably be my choice.

Also where are these gravel paths? I suppose there is the downslink. What do you do after that?
Now you're talking directly to the little voice in the back of my head. (that can't be good for either of us :lol:)

It's saying exactly the same.
Although the 'voices' are saying similar about a cyclocross bike.

Riding last, pretty mild, winter on my carbon forked aluminium Via Nirone Bianchi was not without some pretty scary moments.
Esp cornering at speed, and riding on roads covered with mud, leaves, stones and general winter shite.
Many of the back B-roads around here feel like gravel paths in the summer, winter is considerably worse.
I never felt 100% comfortable and more importantly safe.

I can see the advertising jargon as BS, but I can't lie it's working it's magic.

I want to get a proper winter bike, on the cycle to work, so I'm looking at less than £1000.
I want to still be able to give it some while riding, but feel more in control at the same time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Now you're talking directly to the little voice in the back of my head. (that can't be good for either of us :lol:)

It's saying exactly the same.
Although the 'voices' are saying similar about a cyclocross bike.

Riding last, pretty mild, winter on my carbon forked aluminium Via Nirone Bianchi was not without some pretty scary moments.
Esp cornering at speed, and riding on roads covered with mud, leaves, stones and general winter shite.
Many of the back B-roads around here feel like gravel paths in the summer, winter is considerably worse.
I never felt 100% comfortable and more importantly safe.

I can see the advertising jargon as BS, but I can't lie it's working it's magic.

I want to get a proper winter bike, on the cycle to work, so I'm looking at less than £1000.
I want to still be able to give it some while riding, but feel more in control at the same time.

Steel. It is the only answer. Much more comfortable, I am sure half of the skittish ness of aluminium frames is imagined because of the amount of vibration you get. I certainly see where you are coming from though. Look at the Genesis Equilibriums, chunkier tyres on those, used to have mudguard clearance last time I looked at one as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Steel. It is the only answer. Much more comfortable, I am sure half of the skittish ness of aluminium frames is imagined because of the amount of vibration you get. I certainly see where you are coming from though. Look at the Genesis Equilibriums, chunkier tyres on those, used to have mudguard clearance last time I looked at one as well.
Thanks I'll have a look over lunch.
I should say last winter wasn't entirely the bikes fault.
My persisting with 23mm slicks couldn't have helped :facepalm:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks I'll have a look over lunch.
I should say last winter wasn't entirely the bikes fault.
My persisting with 23mm slicks couldn't have helped :facepalm:

But they are quicker...

Only it turns out they aren't. I wonder how much winter tip toe cornering could have been saved down the years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But they are quicker...

Only it turns out they aren't. I wonder how much winter tip toe cornering could have been saved down the years.
Quite a lot, I have 2 scary moments that instantly spring to mind.

Coming down 8% Duncton Hill, it has a wide 180 degree turn at the bottom.
It was wet, I was going as slow as I could, but I just couldn't get the front of my bike to take the turn.
I was going wider and wider until I crossed the white line.
Luckily there's no hedgerow obscuring the view, so the car coming the other way was able to slow right down as I finally got into shape.
The driver must have wondered why a guy with such bad tourettes was allowed on the road.

In a similar fashion I also passed a van on the wrong side of the road at the apex of a narrow country lane.

That's without any of the 'usual' slipping and sliding.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Now there is no need to get personal, it's my back as well as my guy don't you know.

What a fantastic Dauphine stage today. Called superbly by NSC Geeks Mr Popular, Carlton Kirby. Some interesting signs for Le Tour, or perhaps just misdirection :shrug:.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Now there is no need to get personal, it's my back as well as my guy don't you know.

What a fantastic Dauphine stage today. Called superbly by NSC Geeks Mr Popular, Carlton Kirby. Some interesting signs for Le Tour, or perhaps just misdirection :shrug:.
Just trying to goad SB into the purchase!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
P did a very good job this morning of bringing me back down to earth.
Irrespective how cool that Cannondale video looks.

Thanks to [MENTION=705]Jeep[/MENTION] I had a tyre deflation incident today, at least I finally got round to using my CO2 thingy.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Right, Strava has bent me over my handle bars and given me a right rogering again in messing up my ride recording. This is the 3rd time in about 6 rides. Not sure what is going wrong, but something is and I don't think it's me. 2 years using it with an iPhone over 3000 miles and not a problem, now all of a sudden every other ride. :censored:

What Garmin do I need!!??

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Right, Strava has bent me over my handle bars and given me a right rogering again in messing up my ride recording. This is the 3rd time in about 6 rides. Not sure what is going wrong, but something is and I don't think it's me. 2 years using it with an iPhone over 3000 miles and not a problem, now all of a sudden every other ride. :censored:

I'd go for a 500 / 510 for accurate readings (200 appear low on climbing, 810 high)

Haven't watched much cycling since some early season classics unfortunately but todays Dauphine had me gripped, what a technically difficult descent and will appear again in Tour.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd go for a 500 / 510 for accurate readings (200 appear low on climbing, 810 high)

Haven't watched much cycling since some early season classics unfortunately but todays Dauphine had me gripped, what a technically difficult descent and will appear again in Tour.

Seems a tempting price for the Edge 500 on Amazon at £119. Tempted to have a map function though...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Go big or go home.

or

The 810 and 510 are both upgrades of the still available 800 & 500's.

Not being a Garminer I'd imagine the upgrades won't bother you.
So if not a 1000, which is £300 although an upgrade is imminent, which might bring that price down

The 500 is about £50 cheaper than the £200 510.
If you can find an 800 and that's similarly priced I'd take that.

The 810 is north of £250.
It's a lot of money but my long time discontinued 705 is bomb proof.

See it as a buy once purchase, so try not to scrimp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here