Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rail fares increase

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest, the staff at Southern work hard, put their customers first and the service has improved massively. I really don't mind paying the well-above wage-inflation 3% and I hope it goes into the pockets of all the staff, from top to bottom.

Said no-one, ever.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Every now and then I think "maybe I could take that job in London, the pay is much better than here after all"

Then I actually have to use Southern or I read about fares going up (again) and I think:

72858725305627a40ffe8a11c6dce1cbf96aa7b174cdbeb51d76c3b016948a0d.jpg

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...s-when-price-hikes-are-unveiled-a3611686.html

Happens every year so can't say I'm surprised but it does feel like the service is getting worse and not better and that is what is hard to swallow paying more for less.

And this question is surely aimed at the political party that flogged off our railways to foreign companies,don't forget,the inflated fares are subsidising French,German,Italian,Dutch commuters.
Gotta love a Tory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The cost of travelling by train is gradually being moved from the taxpayer to those who actually use it. There is also obviously considerable capital investment going into the structure and new trains.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Same old UK, taking the piss.

How bad does it have to actually get before all those with exciting well-paid jobs in London actually just re-evaluate their lives and their neglected families and tell the train companies to just do one? That way happiness lies.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I can't read any news about this, it will stress me out too much. Happy to read this thread though! Maybe when I get my first pay rise in 13 years, I'll be more understanding about the increase.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can't read any news about this, it will stress me out too much. Happy to read this thread though! Maybe when I get my first pay rise in 13 years, I'll be more understanding about the increase.

If the train companies don't get you, then the utility companies will, or the council tax will. Or more likely all three. All these companies appear to think they exist in a social vacuum and that they all have legitimate claims to make a grab on your fixed income. Utterly shameful that it's allowed to happen in a so-called civilised society.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
As increases go that is nearly 100% higher than last year's increase which iirc was 1.9%. However at least rail fares ARE regulated, as far as I can tell the buses charge what they like.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If the train companies don't get you, then the utility companies will, or the council tax will. Or more likely all three. All these companies appear to think they exist in a social vacuum and that they all have legitimate claims to make a grab on your fixed income. Utterly shameful that it's allowed to happen in a so-called civilised society.

Don't often agree with stuff you post. I'm sure you feel the same. But your post is spot on. It's exasperating isn't it. Just one thing after another.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm trying to avoid the railways unless my journey is absolutely essential. West Brom will be an exception in the near future. :)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
This is why I choose to drive to London rather than get the train. It's quicker and cheaper to drive.
Yup, I bought a car May 2016 when the railways became way too stressful and unreliable (and let's not revisit whose fault that was). Hadn't commuted by car since 1996 and for large periods in the intervening 20 years I didn't even own one. Sad really that I had to go back.

Don't think I'd fancy driving to London though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I can understand the council tax increases. The government has cut its contributions to local authorities, who still have to meet statutory duties, I don't see how councils have much choice (unless you're Surrey, course). The other rises are just money-grabbing but that's what happens when essential services are privatised

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Linked to the RPI I'm afraid and that's at 3.6%, meanwhile the pensioners are protected by the triple lock.

There are winners are losers

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I can understand the council tax increases. The government has cut its contributions to local authorities, who still have to meet statutory duties, I don't see how councils have much choice (unless you're Surrey, course). The other rises are just money-grabbing but that's what happens when essential services are privatised

Brighton council collected £29M in parking fees alone in the last year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here