Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, Kane and Vardy are the PL top scorers......

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Didn't they play upfront together when we beat Leicester in 2012/13?

1) We didn't beat Leicester in 2012-13

2) Vardy and Kane never played together for Leicester against us. On April 6 2013 (in the 1-1 draw) Kane came on as a 74th minute sub, but Vardy wasn't involved that day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What is the betting though that Rooney will play up front for England in the Euros? I really think it is time for Rooney to be dropped to the bench as he has done nothing at tournaments since 2002.

Would you play Kane and Vardy up top?

He was the best player at the tournament in 2004 until his injury. Otherwise, you're completely right.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You could fit in Rooney playing CM or CAM eg:

Vardy - Kane
Sterling - Rooney - Oxlade-Chamberlain
Alli
Rose - Stones - Smalling - Clyne
Hart

But if he was to start he would be as a striker for England I think, meaning one of those two and Sturridge/Welbeck would miss out.

Where does Ross Barkley fit in?
He deserves a starting place more than Rooney

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If we get to the Premier League, I think we could use both the extra pace up front (sprint speed) and pace at the back (to catch Payet at least).

At the back careful positioning and reading the game really help and Goldson looks very promising. Not be missed Goldson v Andre Gray in the Burnley game. In the past Greer could not handle the pace of Gray.

I think we ought to get Manu back and Will Buckley* has the pace. (*Both Bruno and Bong who are no slouches could not catch Buckley and both got booked trying to stop him and Buckley only touched the ball 5 times in 20 minutes for Leeds.)

If Lualua ran into space he woud be much better. I think our best bet is to get him to improve his running off the ball. Better bet than signing another striker. He has competition now and he has proved to be good on his weaker foot, well two footed enough to be a second striker!

PS: The Watford first goal against Arsenal (and I've seen the move before) was interesting. If Hemed stood in an offside position from a throw-in he would either lose his marker or stretch the defence giving more space. On the east lower we see this problem from throw-ins a lot. He could also take a leaf out of KIt Napier's book (distant past) on running and changing direction at throw-ins (Vicente did this well.)

PS2: I don't think Burnley have got better players than us (although I wish we still at Stephen Ward). It is just that they make better use of them.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: I'm not sure I care enough about England to comment. A younger Gerrard -like player would help.

Vardy would fail like Lineker did when it really mattered.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
If we get to the Premier League, I think we could use both the extra pace up front (sprint speed) and pace at the back (to catch Payet at least).

At the back careful positioning and reading the game really help and Goldson looks very promising. Not be missed Goldson v Andre Gray in the Burnley game. In the past Greer could not handle the pace of Gray.

I think we ought to get Manu back and Will Buckley* has the pace. (*Both Bruno and Bong who are no slouches could not catch Buckley and both got booked trying to stop him and Buckley only touched the ball 5 times in 20 minutes for Leeds.)

If Lualua ran into space he woud be much better. I think our best bet is to get him to improve his running off the ball. Better bet than signing another striker. He has competition now and he has proved to be good on his weaker foot, well two footed enough to be a second striker!

PS: The Watford first goal against Arsenal (and I've seen the move before) was interesting. If Hemed stood in an offside position from a throw-in he would either lose his marker or stretch the defence giving more space. On the east lower we see this problem from throw-ins a lot. He could also take a leaf out of KIt Napier's book (distant past) on running and changing direction at throw-ins (Vicente did this well.)

PS2: I don't think Burnley have got better players than us (although I wish we still at Stephen Ward). It is just that they make better use of them.

I'm not sure I've ever read one of your posts Perseus without thinking "what the **** is he on about?"

Anyway, carry on.

PS Drop Rooney for christ's sake. Kane and Sturridge for me, Vardy to replace a tiring Sturridge.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Let me get this correct, are you saying if we get promoted our wingers should be Manu and Buckley?!
Also, you do realise this is a thread about England?!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think that on his day, Wayne Rooney can be magical and do things on the pitch that most other players can only dream of, but the problem is that those days are mostly behind him now and he's very much a shadow of the player he could have become had he the dedication of someone like Ronaldo.

Too busy smoking fags, shagging hookers and trying to chat up every fit bird he sees when pissed to have that kind of dedication.

If he was a playboy like Best or Worthington then I'd at least have a bit of respect for him but by all accounts he's just a thick tit with a load of cash who can only buy a shag (oh and he's married).

Our England captain. :ffsparr:

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Simple, let's see how they do in the friendlies rather than jump on a fashionable bandwagon before a decision has even been made.

Half the problem with the national team is that people are ITCHING to criticise anything, to the point where it is cool to assume dropping the nations player of the year, record scorer and captain through our 100% qualifying campaign is a MUST.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I guess it's testament to how far we've come that we're in a position to debate starting our all time top scorer!

Yes he only scores against San Marino etc....

Or how poor the choice has been for English strikers that Rooney has managed to play so many games, which has allowed him to become England's all time top scorer.

Comparing Rooney to other England strikers:
Rooney's 51 goals have taken 109 games - 0.4679 goals a game
Gary Lineker had 48 goals in just 80 games - 0.6000 goals a game
Jimmy Greaves had 44 goals in 57 games - 0.7719 goals a game
Nat Lofthouse had 30 goals in 33 games - 0.9090 goals a game
Then you have
Bobby Charlton managed 49 goals in 106 games - 0.4623 goals a game - from midfield

Had any of the other strikers listed above had as long at the head of England's attack, it's likely that they would have found the few extra goals they needed (and probably scored many more) when reaching Rooney's games played tally, leaving Rooney well down the scorers list.

The worry is that someone like Kane who could match or break Rooney's record may end up being kept out of the side by an aging Rooney because Rooney has this record and England will stick by him, reducing the number of games Kane can play in his own international career

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

What does this have to do with the actual subject of the thread? And could you please stop mentioning Buckley, we get it already but you can't help but shoehorn a reference to old tissue paper hamstrings at every chance.

Back on subject and I agree with the OP that Vardy and Kane should start as the inform pair, Greer is our captain but hasn't been allowed to walk back into the side due to the form of the other players and the same should apply to Rooney unless he starts doing the business for Man U when he gets back from injury.

PS: I'm not sure I care enough about England to comment. A younger Gerrard -like player would help.

Vardy would fail like Lineker did when it really mattered.

Lineker a failure? You mean the player that won the golden boot in Mexico 86 ahead of players like Maradona, Careca and Emilio Butragueno? I'm sure the reason that the '86 side failed wasn't Gary Lineker.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Vardy and Kane with Alli in behind them seems the way to go for me.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bobby Smith 13 goals in 15 games for England. 86%

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Vardy,Kane,Alli,Dier,Barkley,Smalling,Butland,Drinkwater have been the stand out English players this year and should be in the starting 11 in the Summer.

Henderson/Wilshire (injury) should be nowhere near the squad despite what Roy says.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I would want to be playing alli in that attacking midfield position, he's been brilliant for Spurs there. There just isn't room for Rooney, he's third choice now and should get used to it.

Would Rooney accept a place on the bench and still encourage his team mates, etc or would he be disruptive and a bad influence on moral within the camp if he was left out of the 1st XI? - my feeling is that if dropped to the bench he would show his unhappiness, just like he snapped at fans in South Africa during the poor World Cup campaign we had there.

Team unity is massive, and you don't want people in the squad that will threaten this and divide the squad no matter how good they are (see pretty much any recent France tournament team)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Bobby Smith 13 goals in 15 games for England. 86%

Love your random stuff perseus but although nowadays he may be a crisp advertising smug permatanned half Spurs/half Leicester scarf style dick, Lineker can never be described as a failure for England. Whatever stats are applied.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Vardy,Kane,Alli,Dier,Barkley,Smalling,Butland,Drinkwater have been the stand out English players this year and should be in the starting 11 in the Summer.

Henderson/Wilshire (injury) should be nowhere near the squad despite what Roy says.

Unbelievably Woy stated on Talksport that he does not believe in picking form players and he only picks players based on talent. Much as I agree with your choice Woy doesn't seem to and pretty much said Wilshire and Rooney will start if fit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Allí has been a success at club level, but really would be worried about his ball retention in a high quality international game. Flicks, risky balls, counter attacking etc. all work in the PL, but you start losing possession in internationals and you're in trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here