Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World's Hardest Creature IX: NOMINATIONS

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Sperm whales have strong conical (cone-shaped) teeth on their lower jaw and only remnants of teeth in the upper jaw. The largest teeth are 11 inches long! That's about as long as an adult human's forearm. Can you imagine? One tooth from the mouth of this massive creature is as big as your arm. Do you think he could eat you? It's not likely you'll find yourself being eaten by a sperm whale, they don't eat people. Their favorite food is giant and colossal squid.

They also feed on other creatures, such as octopus and fish. But sperm whales have been the stuff of legends because of their massive size and predatory nature and because of the telltale markings left on their bodies by the giant squid they stalk and hunt in the great ocean depths. Scientists have recovered huge beaks from the stomachs of sperm whales that came from colossal squid that were bigger than any specimen ever captured by humans, dead or alive. These discoveries beg the question, "Just how big can a colossal squid get?"

This great ocean carnivore has been known to eat another great ocean carnivore - the great white shark! So the sperm whale really is the baddest of them all!

Needs to be seconded, the Great Sperm Whale

Nope. Just uses it's size to bully.

Soft.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sperm Whale for Centre-forward

Then, after two or three spouts, the giant made straight for the Essex, “coming down for us at great celerity,” Chase would recall—at about three knots. The whale smashed head-on into the ship with “such an appalling and tremendous jar, as nearly threw us all on our faces.”

The whale passed underneath the ship and began thrashing in the water. “I could distinctly see him smite his jaws together, as if distracted with rage and fury,” Chase recalled. Then the whale disappeared. The crew was addressing the hole in the ship and getting the pumps working when one man cried out, “Here he is—he is making for us again.” Chase spotted the whale, his head half out of water, bearing down at great speed—this time at six knots*, Chase thought. This time it hit the bow directly under the cathead and disappeared for good.

(* that's faster than Chris O'Grady!)

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...inspired-moby-dick-17576/#0AYCq28ySTr5uKb7.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: [MENTION=26685]Smith[/MENTION]sonianMag on Twitter

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Latest Update

Creatures with two (or more) nominations are:

Honey Badger
Immortal Jellyfish
Cassowary
Malayan Sun Bear
Mosquito
Great White Shark
Tardigrade(moss piglet/water bear)
Cape Buffalo
Mantis Shrimp
Wolverine
Greater Grison
Tasmanian Devil
Hippo
Rhino
Hyena
Leopard
African Crowned Eagle
Grey Wolf
African Hunting Dog
Siberian Tiger
African Elephant
Cone Snail
Human
Orca
Brazilian Wandering Spider
Komodo Dragon
Bullet Ant
Japanese Giant Hornet
Dog Whelk
Box Jelly Fish
Tarantula Wasp
Shrew
Grasshopper Mouse
(salt water) Croc
Bobbit worm
Jaguar
Sea Horse
Grizzly Bear
Sting Ray
Colossal Squid
Black Mamba
InIand Taipan
(nile Crocodile)
Praying Mantis
Sloth Bear

Creatures nominated but in need of being seconded:

Lynx
Giraffe
Tiger Shark
Blue Ringed Octopus
Giant Centipede
Sperm Whale
Golden Poison Dart Frog
Bull Shark

Have I missed any out?

I've put the Nile crocodile in for now but as far as I can work out it's basically the same as the salt water croc so for the competition I'll probably just put the SWC in.

Deadline for nominations and seconding is roughly same time tomorrow so if you want a beast in the tournament be quick!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sperm Whale: headbutting ships is pretty hard 648794856798376984763.png

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yet again, many are missing the key word in this competition: "Hardest".

The hardest snake is the Puff Adder as, like pretty much all other snakes, it does not get out of the way when it hears or feels you coming. It stands it's ground and gives a warning. Don't heed that warning and it will strike with the fastest strike of any snake. Get bitten and it can kill you.

Hard. Should be given a bye straight to the final

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
NOMINATIONS CLOSED

Beasts competing for the title of Worlds Hardest Creature 2016 are:

Honey Badger
Immortal Jellyfish
Cassowary
Malayan Sun Bear
Mosquito
Great White Shark
Tardigrade(moss piglet/water bear)
Cape Buffalo
Mantis Shrimp
Wolverine
Greater Grison
Tasmanian Devil
Hippo
Rhino
Hyena
Leopard
African Crowned Eagle
Grey Wolf
African Hunting Dog
Siberian Tiger
African Elephant
Cone Snail
Human
Orca
Brazilian Wandering Spider
Komodo Dragon
Bullet Ant
Japanese Giant Hornet
Dog Whelk
Box Jelly Fish
Tarantula Wasp
Shrew
Grasshopper Mouse
(salt water) Croc
Bobbit worm
Jaguar
Sea Horse
Grizzly Bear
Sting Ray
Colossal Squid
Black Mamba
InIand Taipan
Praying Mantis
Sloth Bear
Bull Shark

There will be five groups of nine combatants*. The top three from each group will qualify for the second round along with the best fourth placed beast. I'll draw the groups tonight and will post the first two tomorrow.

This is it NSC, WHC IX is about to kick off. Get your arguments, photos and videos ready. Defend your animals of choice to the hilt. Every vote counts, so work work work at convincing those undecided.

Good luck to the 45 selected warriors.

*Unless I've missed someone out in which case please let me know and I'll add them to one of the groups.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Problem is you get the same people voting for the same things.
How on earth a Siberian tiger and arguably the most feared animal on the planet gets nowhere near the top four tells you all you need to know.I have no doubts what's so ever this beast would kill crocodiles, polar bears etc....Its so agile and the perfect killer with immense power.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Problem is you get the same people voting for the same things.
How on earth a Siberian tiger and arguably the most feared animal on the planet gets nowhere near the top four tells you all you need to know.I have no doubts what's so ever this beast would kill crocodiles, polar bears etc....Its so agile and the perfect killer with immense power.

In the jungle or out on the ice? ???

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
image.jpeg

The naked mole rat. Any creature hat looks like this has got to be hard. They are the only animals that never get cancer. They have no 24 hour body clock so would never get jet lag!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here