Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking Of Commuting To London Tomorrow ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Id certainly WFH tomorrow.

Basic trackwork is completed and signalling is now being sorted, that usually takes 48 hours to do according to a family member ITK, they only started doing it this morning......make of that what you will. Getting 2 lines open will be the minimum though.

PS - Dont go via East Grinstead - go via Coulsdon Town, much less people going that way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i posted else where the same question: how is a land slip at Dorking causing an issue between Gatwick and London Vic.

and how does one get to Coulsdon ???

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
i posted else where the same question: how is a land slip at Dorking causing an issue between Gatwick and London Vic.

and how does one get to Coulsdon ???

1) Direct trains were planned to run between Gatwick and London via Horsham and Dorking - but because of the landslide at Ockley (between Horsham and Dorking) - they cant run.

2) Buses are running between Three Bridges and Coulsdon non-stop via the M23.

Of course, the above info may be irrelevant if they somehow finish on time.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Id certainly WFH tomorrow.

Basic trackwork is completed and signalling is now being sorted, that usually takes 48 hours to do according to a family member ITK, they only started doing it this morning......make of that what you will. Getting 2 lines open will be the minimum though.

PS - Dont go via East Grinstead - go via Coulsdon Town, much less people going that way.

It is not looking good. But at least over running engineering works will mean delay repay. 2 hours each way would work out as a score.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
1) Direct trains were planned to run between Gatwick and London via Horsham and Dorking - but because of the landslide at Ockley (between Horsham and Dorking) - they cant run.

k... so they were planning that the work wouldn't be completed on time, or they are over running and already made a contingency?

see ive not complained about southern, they gave loads of notice of xmas works, but they need to sort out effing communication. if i'd known a divertion was on the cards i'd have taken the week off, too late for that.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I have an advance ticket for tomorrow from Hassocks > Victoria. Is it possible to get a refund on that now the line is closed?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
k... so they were planning that the work wouldn't be completed on time, or they are over running and already made a contingency?

see ive not complained about southern, they gave loads of notice of xmas works, but they need to sort out effing communication. if i'd known a divertion was on the cards i'd have taken the week off, too late for that.

Not overrunning yet, its a contingency plan - though that is the same service as today.

I have an advance ticket for tomorrow from Hassocks > Victoria. Is it possible to get a refund on that now the line is closed?

It isnt scheduled to be closed tomorrow, only if the work overruns. Ticket would be valid on buses and you'd get delay repay.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Yes you should or possibly vouchers to use at a later date, however if the line opens then I suspect you won't.

It should depend on whether the train you booked the ticket on actually runs.

Executive decision already made, I am WFH tomorrow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No taxis unless it is the last train of the day and pre approved, nobody falls for that old scam anymore

We will see. When confronted with a similar situation when stuck in London Vic due to snow a few years back out of frustration I took the decision to hire a car. After a series of phone calls and letters Southern refunded me the cost of the car hire in full which was just over £200.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Latest update as per 2000 is that everything is on time and ready for tomorrow mornings peak time service

I do hope so. But Southern and Network Rail let me down on a weekly basis (sometimes several times a week), so wont believe anything until both trips run smoothly.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
We will see. When confronted with a similar situation when stuck in London Vic due to snow a few years back out of frustration I took the decision to hire a car. After a series of phone calls and letters Southern refunded me the cost of the car hire in full which was just over £200.

They do back down if you persistently complain. Got £20 from them recently as they kept mucking up a £2.40 delay repay. Took about 4 months to sort, but was worth it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Latest update as per 2000 is that everything is on time and ready for tomorrow mornings peak time service

so there's no planned diversion or buses for tomorrow? all the work through Gatwick/Selhurst/wherever on the way to London is done?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here