Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier ambition

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Our lack of recent youth products breaking through to the first team ld and sm excluded has not been good and I'm wondering if that is in part due to the fact that we are already a very good side and therefore difficult for the youngsters to break through but that might not have been the case if we were mid table and more able with less pressure to blood them? Leeds and Huddersfield have succeeded in bringing a good few players through this season but would they have risked it if they knew they were going to be pushing for promotion and just got lucky with the crop? Have we missed an opportunity in giving some of the kids games because of our league position and potentially missed better players because of it? Excuse the poor grammar it kind of blurted out as I was watching crap on the telly

Just out of curiosity re HUddersfield ..who else have they brought through there 'youth' system apart from Billings?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Just out of curiosity re HUddersfield ..who else have they brought through there 'youth' system apart from Billings?

TBH I don't know but there team is awfully young probably a bad example I wish people would stop thinking that I'm knocking the club I'm not it was just a question that if our position was different would we have brought the likes of Tilley through already

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your Post sums this thread up perfectly.

Premiership ambition has been many years in the making for Brighton.

It's a dream of the owner who just happens to have a lot of cash to try and make it happen because he was and is a fan of the Club. He invested his money in the infrastructure. That was followed by Managers when he seemed to take the approach of ''lets go down the foreign coach route for quite a few years'' in the hope they would get to the PL quickly. That didn't work because they ultimately didn't make it the turning point from that route being the major failure of the last foreign coach.

Then the Owner made the decision to go for a tried and tested Manager in the Championship. That has bourn fruit although no fruit has actually dropped from the tree as of yet.

The reason that this is likely to be successful though is because the Manager and the owner want the same thing. They are pulling together. This Manager wants to be in the PL and this Owner wants to be in the PL. So as soon as CH becomes Manager of Brighton he wants Brighton to be in the PL. That means that both their goals become the same.

I think the other Managers had an agenda of enhancing their personal reputations and perhaps moving on. I think CH on the other hand thinks. ''Become successful on the pitch and Personal Reputations will look after themselves. He did not need to build a reputation. Apart from amongst Norwich City fans he already had a good one. And I even think some of them think differently now in hindsight.

All the while CH and TB are trying to achieve their ambitions of taking Brighton to the PL the Development squad is growing and being enhanced. The facilities are excellent and some players are even giving up first team football at other clubs to come to it. Ben Hall being an example of that. Many others are actually choosing to come to Brighton ahead of some Premiership Clubs

The standard of players in the Youth System is growing year by year. It has not been discarded at the expense of a ''Premier League Dream'' It is still there and getting better. The only difference is that because the Manager has built a better first team squad now then it is going to take real excellence for players to break out of it into the first team but it most definitely not bee discarded at the expense of making it to the PL.

The Development squad in time will consist of player, who if they don't break into the first team at Brighton will be being sold for £5 and 6 Million to clubs in the Championship. It will become self financing and in time there will be little gems which occasionally break into the first team.

It most certainly NOT a ''sideline'' to the first team. It goes hand in hand with the whole infrastructure of the club.
The difference being only 1 of us wakes up grumpy :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We are always going to struggle with attracting the youth players when you can drive down the A27 near Lancing Manor and see adverts for Chelsea holding training sessions less than1 mile from our academy. Hopefully in time when we are in the Premier this will change and we may be able to attract them. The problem then will come from Portsmouth if they are taken over by the Disney man.

I take your point, although in my son's case the Chelsea training really helped progress him and his friends from the ages of 7-10 and now two of them are in the Albion Development Squad.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Dunk, March, Hunt, Walton others out on loan like Dallison and Tilley, and some in the Dev are showing well like Ben Hall, Adekube and Bjordal. Don't know much about the rest but our youth policy isn't too bad if we also consider Elphic and Cook have done well from us. I can't see any negatives and we have only just had the training ground built.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take your point, although in my son's case the Chelsea training really helped progress him and his friends from the ages of 7-10 and now two of them are in the Albion Development Squad.
Not to mention the fact there must be 1000's of Chelsea training sessions all over the south east, and I guess further afield as well.
It's hard to imagine the Albion being to bothered by Chelsea FC giving Sussex kids, a decent foundation in basic football skills and training.

Chelsea (I've seen Spurs too) might 'win' a few and as you say Brighton might 'win' a few,
But in the meantime all the children wanting to play football all win.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just round the corner from where I live, a school hosts the Ben Marskell soccer school.
When walking past on a Saturday sometimes, you can see all the youngsters wearing a multitude of clubs shirts, ie QPR, Watford, Chelsea, Brentford and Fulham.
It's a massive catchment area for the clubs, the kids heads don't know where to turn to.
I think we're fortunate not to be in such a position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH I don't know but there team is awfully young probably a bad example I wish people would stop thinking that I'm knocking the club I'm not it was just a question that if our position was different would we have brought the likes of Tilley through already

Have you seen this:-

2017-02-19-ch-age1.png

The title race is being contested between two teams of vastly differing ages: Brighton have fielded the oldest line-ups in the division and have barely used anyone under 24, while Newcastle‘s average starting XI is almost three years younger and rarely features anyone in their 30s.

The youngest side of all has been Barnsley, whose chart looks like some sort of majestic gliding bird. The Tykes are one of only two EFL sides not to have deployed a 30-something in a league match this season.

I think they're being a little cheeky due to the amount of regular players the Albion have under 25.
Plus Bruno and Murray are never going to help any average but this season they'd walk into most other Championship sides. (That is until GM signed his new contract!!)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here