Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Feeling flat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I keep reading about next week and next Saturday.

It's this week and this Saturday. Middlesbrough is just 4 days away.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I don't even feel like drinking. I've not had a pint since 1:30.

That's how bad it is!

I got so drunk I completely missed the first half (even though I was desperately looking forward to it).

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I feel flat as well and have doubts about our ability to beat Middlesbrough or even win the playoffs. The team deserve better than that and even though I gave the loudest scream/shout/howl/noise when the Wilson goal went in I still feel down this morning. We have had a fantastic season (much better than any of us could have dreamed) and so we need to gather our thoughts, get the positivity back and get behind our fantastic team for the challenge next Saturday. PS still hate Dyche and his scummy little promotion team.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
I can understand a certain amount of despondency - we missed a great opportunity to go into the automatic spots - but some of you are going way over the top. We're an excellent team that do not give up, are very hard to beat and can win in a number of situations home or away.

The first goal next week is going to be hugely important. And in that, nothing has changed, it would have been massively important if we had won yesterday too. We score first we sit back, defend and catch them on the counter. They score first they sit back, defend and score on the counter. I imagine the first 60-70 minutes will be very cagey with neither team committing too much to attack. The last 20 is when we'll go hell for leather and is also the time that Middlesbrough will be the most nervous(so close to the premier league but so little time to get a goal back if they concede).

It's a big, big ask but if any team in this division can go to Middlesbrough and get the result needed, it's us. Yes I would have rather the result needed was a draw, yes we're the underdogs, yes it's not ideal having to play with a centre back pairing that have about 30minutes of competitive football playing together but we can do it. So pick yourselves up and show a bit of positivity. The players deserve nothing less.
Excellent post, fully concur with all of this!

"Middles-bor-aah, we're coming for you!"

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No other way of putting it, we blew it after an excellent first half. Dare I say choked?

I'm a negative ****er though and this team have proved me wrong again and again this season. One more time please lads.

I was disappointed with our 2nd half in that Derby came out with a plan B and were the better side. We didn't seem to react to their changes. We had enough chances in the first half to have won and I am sure if just one had gone in , it would have been a very different result.
If we can respond to a poor result as well as we did after Cardiff then we should win on Saturday .
We are going up! (one way or another)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I am feeling a bit flat but...

Objectively, yesterday was a very creditable result considering we were down to ten men against the only team close to us in the form table for the past 6 games. There's a case to say that now they have their formidable midfield trio back, Derby are better than Boro.

We're simply in pretty much the same scenario as Palace were in the play-offs against us. Off the back of the 0-0 at Selhurst, a lot of their fans felt they'd blown it. Our home record suggested as much, we had a really good side and they'd lost an important player. Look how that panned out.

It's a great position to be in. 1 win from the Premier League.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Keep the faith!
It's the year of the underdog.
(See Leicester City)
:albion:

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I agree with WarmleySeagull on #108.

I can't help but feel pretty down about things - even after a nights sleep. There are too many posters making the point about playing for a draw - we were never going to set up to do that at the Riverside - but the draw was another outcome that would have given us promotion had we been able to put Derby away yesterday.

It would have always been preferable to go to the Riverside knowing two of the three possible match outcomes would be in your favour - now we have to win...against a top side... a feat that we've only been able to do once in nine attempts.

Derby were better than us in almost every department yesterday - only Knockhaert, Goldson and Dunk played up to their usual level and we were second best across the pitch everywhere else. When it came to it we collectively bottled the opportunity to put ourselves in the strongest position for the final game and (crucially) send out a marker to Derby that they should fear us in the play off final if Boro should beat us next week.

Now we travel to Boro with a patched up defence knowing we have to win - as the alternative is likely to be a resilient Derby waiting for us at Wembley knowing they only have to repeat yesterday's performance and they are over the line.

I'm trying to keep the faith for these last game(s) - but having the season we've had, commanding the top of the table in the manner we have would make failure to get promoted much worse than the play off losses to Palace and Derby.

Let's just hope the team can pull a 0-1 out of the bag on Saturday and complete the season. The likelihood is that we have to stop Boro scoring though as two goals up there would be a huge ask...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Now we travel to Boro with a patched up defence knowing we have to win - as the alternative is likely to be a resilient Derby waiting for us at Wembley knowing they only have to repeat yesterday's performance and they are over the line.

[/QUOTE]

Derby didn't win yesterday. They only managed a draw against ten men despite playing well. This team has resilience. Keep the faith.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
As I see it:
1. We're one win from the PL. will we win? No idea but this season we have always been imperious immediately after a crap performance - which yesterday was to some degree (yes Derby got it right against us but we also made it easy for them).
2. Or we're four games from the PL including a wonderful day out at Wembley
3. Or we now know the weaknesses in our squad, strengthen from strength over the summer and smash the CHampionsip next year. I'm sure someone somewhere said that CH asks for four transfer windows to achieve his target - well so far he's only had three.
T
The key if we don't go up is to keep CH and the backrom, keep the players we want and strengthen in midfield, central defence and with a forward.

I've been following the Albion for nearly 50 years now and this is the best of times. INch by inch

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Actually I think yesterday gives us an advantage if we meet Derby in the playoffs as we know exactly how they'll play against us. Houghton is too good a manager not address that if we play them again.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Ok - they didn't win but they were clearly the better team yesterday. We had greater motivation to win that match knowing it could have improved our automatic promotion chances - for Derby other than maintaining confidence in form it was practically a dead rubber as play offs were assured for them already.

In a one off game off course either side can win - BUT the odds will favour Derby now having come to the Amex and nullified us so completely. We will need batter tactics and an effective Plan B if the initial formation doesn't bring better outcomes after 60 mins next time around.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ok - they didn't win but they were clearly the better team yesterday. We had greater motivation to win that match knowing it could have improved our automatic promotion chances - for Derby other than maintaining confidence in form it was practically a dead rubber as play offs were assured for them already.

I think you have blue tinted glasses on. We did not trouble Carson at all. He commanded his area, collected every cross easily. Their midfield also ran the show finding a lot of space

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Not flat at all. Been expecting us to have to win at Boro to go up automatically (at best) for a few weeks. Almost better to be going up there needing to go for it rather than potentially being able to try to nick a draw. Miss out, and we've got another shot at it in the playoffs (I know, I know). Sense the players will be massively up for if if we miss out on the autos.

Not telling you how this was sent or from what device [emoji867]

Exactly. I'm not down at all, in fact I cannot wait for the weekend!

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I think you have blue tinted glasses on. We did not trouble Carson at all. He commanded his area, collected every cross easily. Their midfield also ran the show finding a lot of space

No blue tinted glasses on me Springal - I'm saying Derby beat us comprehensively all over the pitch. The only thing that ended up even at the final whistle was the score. And let's be honest that was a consolation and we only got that because Carson couldn't get out of his deckchair quickly enough where he'd happily spend the whole of the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here