Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy McCourt

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Most negative poster or just being realistic? I thought long and hard about my posts because there's a certain tinge of negativity about them and maybe i should change my thinking. But then i look at my continuous thumbs up from people which suggests i'm bang on the money on most things. Funny that. Now do your usual trick and give me another thumbs down. That's what you like doing to my posts right?

Yeah, I do give you a lot of thumbs down, because I rarely agree with you. If you think the club was wrong to sell Ulloa, Bridcutt, Upson, (ok, they let him go)Buckley and Barnes, what in your opinion, should we have done to keep them, bearing in mind they wanted to go, and more to the point , with your incessant criticism of our tranfers in, who would you replace them with. Name names

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yeah, I do give you a lot of thumbs down, because I rarely agree with you. If you think the club was wrong to sell Ulloa, Bridcutt, Upson, (ok, they let him go)Buckley and Barnes, what in your opinion, should we have done to keep them, bearing in mind they wanted to go, and more to the point , with your incessant criticism of our tranfers in, who would you replace them with. Name names
Stop putting words into my mouth. When you get offers like 8 million for Ulloa and 2.5 million for Buckley etc you can't turn them down. That's blindly obvious. It's the replacing part i have a grievance with or lack of. Can't you see that, seriously?
Why should i name names? It isn't my job but i ceratinly like Bamford,Mason,Baldock etc if the price is right.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Stop putting words into my mouth. When you get offers like 8 million for Ulloa and 2.5 million for Buckley etc you can't turn them down. That's blindly obvious. It's the replacing part i have a grievance with or lack of. Can't you see that, seriously?
Why should i name names? It isn't my job but i ceratinly like Bamford,Mason,Baldock etc if the price is right.

but rushing into replacing these players can in some ways end up regressing the teams standard, look at spurs.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
but rushing into replacing these players can in some ways end up regressing the teams standard, look at spurs.
We have two weeks left to find half a team. It wouldn't be this bad if we actually got some of our main targets in much earlier. Now the club doesn't have much time. They can only blame themselves at the end of the day. I expect nearly all Championship clubs are probably just doing their final tweaks to there squads. Where as we are trying to build one.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
We have two weeks left to find half a team. It wouldn't be this bad if we actually got some of our main targets in much earlier. Now the club doesn't have much time. They can only blame themselves at the end of the day. I expect nearly all Championship clubs are probably just doing their final tweaks to there squads. Where as we are trying to build one.

If we sign a striker, a left back and a winger. I do believe we will have a more or less complete first team. 3 signings in the next 2 weeks.

I bet we will pull the signings off and go on to a succesful season in relation to how its looking right now.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If we sign a striker, a left back and a winger. I do believe we will have a more or less complete first team. 3 signings in the next 2 weeks.

I bet we will pull the signings off and go on to a succesful season in relation to how its looking right now.
3 players won't be anywhere near enough over a course of a season. It's a start though.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
3 players won't be anywhere near enough over a course of a season. It's a start though.

If we sign 3 more players in the postions I've mentioned, I don't think we will have a squad as skimpy as you think.

This is what the squad will have after 1 more striker, 1 more left back and 1 more winger-

3 strikers
3 wingers
6 centre midfeilders
3 centre backs
4 full backs, 2 on both sides.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If we sign 3 more players in the postions I've mentioned, I don't think we will have a squad as skimpy as you think.

This is what the squad will have after 1 more striker, 1 more left back and 1 more winger-

3 strikers
3 wingers
6 centre midfeilders
3 centre backs
4 full backs, 2 on both sides.

That's 19 players in total. Sorry fella we aren't going to agree here.

Edit you missed out keepers.

I would like

4 strikers
4 wingers
6 midfielders
4 center backs
4 full backs.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
That's 19 players in total. Sorry fella we aren't going to agree here.

Edit you missed out keepers.

I would like

4 strikers
4 wingers
6 midfielders
4 center backs
4 full backs.

fair enough. I'd still be happier with quality rather than quantity though.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Most negative poster or just being realistic? I thought long and hard about my posts because there's a certain tinge of negativity about them and maybe i should change my thinking. But then i look at my continuous thumbs up from people which suggests i'm bang on the money on most things. Funny that. Now do your usual trick and give me another thumbs down. That's what you like doing to my posts right?

I used to enjoy reading your posts Algie. very well informed and interesting. But when I start reading them now. my thoughts are, here we go again! I can see exactly where you are coming from and don't disagree. But can we please have your normally enjoyable posts back in one form or another. whilst still making your very valid point, thanks mate.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Not sure what will make me happy until I see us starting to score goals and win games! That looks a long way off just now

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

There's the rub, isn't it? If the price is right, and if they want to come, and if their wages don't destroy our pay structue, all of which must be considered. It is very easy to just constantly criticise, the trick is to be constructively critical, offer an alternative to decisions you disagree with. Although it isn't your job, you do seem to believe you have more knowledge of the transfer market than either the clubs owner, or any of the very experienced members of staff in the recruitment department.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I've always been of the opinion you don't sell unless you have a replacement lined up. Why should we be weakened just because another side wants our player.
The Ulloa transfer went on for ages, we should have had a replacement to sign straight away.
If Chris O Grady was that replacement then that says more about our ambition (or lack of it) than it does anything else.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Personally I would have liked Billy Sharp, but apparently wages would be a stumbling block, and I don't know if he would share a dressing room with the axe killing psychopath, Lewis Dunk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There's the rub, isn't it? If the price is right, and if they want to come, and if their wages don't destroy our pay structue, all of which must be considered. It is very easy to just constantly criticise, the trick is to be constructively critical, offer an alternative to decisions you disagree with. Although it isn't your job, you do seem to believe you have more knowledge of the transfer market than either the clubs owner, or any of the very experienced members of staff in the recruitment department.

Is our pay structure realistic though? Judging by the squad we have and the players we're signing , probably not.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've always been of the opinion you don't sell unless you have a replacement lined up. Why should we be weakened just because another side wants our player.
The Ulloa transfer went on for ages, we should have had a replacement to sign straight away.
If Chris O Grady was that replacement then that says more about our ambition (or lack of it) than it does anything else.

And that goes for most of our players sold, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes and Ulloa all rumbled on for a few windows, yet we want to wait til the end of August to react :shrug:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Z
the problem is that replacements aren't easy to find and our ones being chased by others decide they don't want to turn up for games like Bridcutt and Buckley. You are therefore better off getting rid when the price is right even if you have no replacements

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here