Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banter - just an excuse for otherwise socially unacceptable behaviour

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No one is blaming the complainant -why should anyone do that if that is how she felt. But to be fair to mcT some folk can react like that to innocent banter, which has no obvious evil intent whatsoever. Had she stayed, he would doubtless have changed his way of going about things, knowing the effect of his banter. 99% (or whatever) of the time, his banter would have produced a different reaction. It happens all the time.

People can do things with no malice as their intent that adversely impact others. Not intending malice isn't a barrier to considering the consequences of our actions or words.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
People can do things with no malice as their intent that adversely impact others. Not intending malice isn't a barrier to considering the consequences of our actions or words.

Christ -what must you be like to live/work with. Of course this can happen but to what extent do we go round considering every word/phrase we use and the effect this will have. Next time, I give up my seat if an old lady is standing on the bus, I am going to reflect on how I have insulted her ability to cope.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Christ -what must you be like to live/work with. Of course this can happen but to what extent do we go round considering every word/phrase we use and the effect this will have. Next time, I give up my seat if an old lady is standing on the bus, I am going to reflect on how I have insulted her ability to cope.

My point was that McT, shared his story for a reason and your FIRST instinct is to doubt the legitimacy of what this person has said. McT's story and your response is a really interesting insight for me.

The fact that you are now bringing in Rotherham and ridiculous comparisons with completely unrelated things in an attempt to turn it on me is also interesting.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My point was that McT, shared his story for a reason and your FIRST instinct is to doubt the legitimacy of what this person has said. McT's story and your response is a really interesting insight for me.

The fact that you are now bringing in Rotherham and ridiculous comparisons with completely unrelated things in an attempt to turn it on me is also interesting.

I thought it was all just banter :whistle:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And where better to turn for some mature, balanced reflection on this very topic (unlike most of this thread), based on experience, than to our very own Liam R?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/19/eni-aluko-drew-spence-fa-liam-rosenior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could not agree more with this.

I cannot fathom how a man in Sampson’s position would even think of such things, never mind say them, and, while his actions are inexcusable, he shouldn’t be hung out to dry by an institution which in its clumsy, insensitive attempts to cover up the scandal has shown itself to be just as amoral and culpable as the perpetrator himself."

And this. Note “banter”

"I’ll be honest with you and admit that, in my career, if I made an official complaint every time I heard myself or other players on the end of unsavoury words or “banter” based on race, sexual orientation, nationality or gender, I would be a part of an investigation on a daily or weekly basis. But this does not make it acceptable."

Liam R is great. I think he'll go on to be a fine manager someday if he wants.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

This just says it all about sad folk of your ilk, who are so looking to be offended at anything that they miss totally what was being written. I did not doubt the legitimacy about anything - mcT indulged in banter, which he knows would have been regarded as such most of the time. Sadly, one of his staff took it the wrong way and he has since adjusted what he says accordingly. Neither he nor his employee are to blame, given your insistence that someone is to blame -he was just poking what he thought was innocent fun (which he has since regretted) and she is clearly a very sensitive soul, who does not react as many others would. This happens. Get over it .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You play in a band just like Gem holds a pen not a gun, pffft soldiers my arse

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Ahhh , youre ignorance knows no bounds , me , ill overlook it , but you might want to think about tbe scots and welsh guards who helped.liberate the falklands or the countless.grenadier guardsmen killed in afghanistan , including HOVE boy jamie janes , or dare i say it an 18 year old me who saw people blown up by car bombs as an 18 year old kid, there is a band , most regiments have a band , ive never held a musical instrument in my life , the guards have a dual role , ceremonial (buck palace) etc and normal infantry , all in all i think youve cemented youre reputation as an absolute bell end on this thread.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ahhh , youre ignorance knows no bounds , me , ill overlook it , but you might want to think about tbe scots and welsh guards who helped.liberate the falklands or the countless.grenadier guardsmen killed in afghanistan , including HOVE boy jamie janes , or dare i say it an 18 year old me who saw people blown up by car bombs as an 18 year old kid, there is a band , most regiments have a band , ive never held a musical instrument in my life , the guards have a dual role , ceremonial (buck palace) etc and normal infantry , all in all i think youve cemented youre reputation as an absolute bell end on this thread.
Chill out mate it's only banter, I thought you guys were ace at it, obviously not .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Only cnts say “guys”
Come on don't be rude, its not my thought you're not intelligent enough to spot good banter, probably why you become a soldier [emoji23]

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Come on don't be rude, its not my thought you're not intelligent enough to spot good banter, probably why you become a soldier [emoji23]

12FDE685-EC4B-44DB-912D-29C296B15746.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here