Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"That" book

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Good choices.

Would also like to add 1984 by George Orwell.

I am happy to Report .... 1984, Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm all remain as part of the English Lit GCSE school syllabus that my son brought home recently :)

How far they look into them I dont know, but they are listed as recommended reading along with a host of other titles.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I finished reading First Light for a second time just recently. Wonderfully written, it made a greater impression on me the 2nd time for some reason. Visited Stanmore/Bentley Priory near Watford consequently. A real gem of a little local museum, well worth the trip. Reading Tom Neil's 'Scramble' now, a bit too waffley in need of a better editor. Will persevere but he's also not as likeable a character as Geoffrey Wellum is.[/QUO

Thanks for the tip.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lord of the Rings:
Perseverance - journey to Mordor against all odds
Tolerance - ancient mistrusts between numerous races that are overcome to unite against a common enemy
Compassion - the whole Gollum story

It's also a fantastic read that fires the imagination, hence why it's still widely acknowledged as the master of its genre. Haven't read it for an age but might just take it with me on my next holiday. The late great Christopher Lee read it once a year from childhood. Think he died aged 90+!
Tony Blair's favourite book also. Not that that is much of a recommendation. I read LOTR when I was 16. It's so heavy on plot and the topography is so detailed that although I enjoyed it, when I finished, I wasn't terribly clear on some of the facts. As I finished, I remember putting the book down, thinking, 'what shall I do now?' The book stayed in front of me for maybe ten seconds. I picked it up and started over.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
283e5cda6475d6c4acfca70e07e12e7a.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Any Human Heart by William Boyd. Although I think this might be a book you appreciate more when you've had a few life experiences of your own and you can relate to the flawed protagonist more. Very moving and also a great journey through the 20th century.

Also "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez which was my favourite book in my early twenties.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tony Blair's favourite book also. Not that that is much of a recommendation. I read LOTR when I was 16. It's so heavy on plot and the topography is so detailed that although I enjoyed it, when I finished, I wasn't terribly clear on some of the facts. As I finished, I remember putting the book down, thinking, 'what shall I do now?' The book stayed in front of me for maybe ten seconds. I picked it up and started over.
It's a wonderful book to read as a bed-time serial for children too - so not only have I read it numerous times myself, I've also read it aloud, cover to cover, three times!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any Human Heart by William Boyd. Although I think this might be a book you appreciate more when you've had a few life experiences of your own and you can relate to the flawed protagonist more. Very moving and also a great journey through the 20th century.

I purchased that around around 6 years ago and have already read it four times, stunningly good book and journal through the 20th century as was the series on C4

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Mein Kampf. Thought provoking and endearing.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Alive by Piers Paul Reid.

It's the story of the Uruguayan Rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes in 1972.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Alive by Piers Paul Reid.

It's the story of the Uruguayan Rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes in 1972.

I'm not sure that Alive is going to be much use, unless Tim Over Whelmed's son is planning a future in cannibalism. I see your Alive and raise you Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
does Viz count????

In all seriousness either One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch or The Outsider

I did 'One Day' at school when I was 13 or so and I still remember so much of it today 40 odd years on.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Endearing? I presume you're fishing here.

Yes and a very poor attempt if I say so myself. I am occasionally guilty of crossing the line and to attempt humour involving that vile scum of an author , was I'm afraid yet another example of this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here