Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Following a friend attempt to run a 2:45 marathon at London but looks like he's blown it already. Weather reminiscent of Brighton last year, far too hot for a PB!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
21 miles in 1:40! :ohmy: Incredible pace. Kipchoge is scuh a bully, at mile 18 he had Mo come alongside so he's murdered him by knocking a few seconds off per mile. Brilliant tactics, having run the first half in 61 minutes. Mental pace! Even [MENTION=17139]Capricorn[/MENTION] would struggle to run a Half in 61!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
21 miles in 1:40! :ohmy: Incredible pace. Kipchoge is scuh a bully, at mile 18 he had Mo come alongside so he's murdered him by knocking a few seconds off per mile. Brilliant tactics, having run the first half in 61 minutes. Mental pace! Even [MENTION=17139]Capricorn[/MENTION] would struggle to run a Half in 61!

I refuse to believe these people are all human I mean FFS.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone for Worthing 10k Sunday June 3? I've entered on [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] s word.

This week is another play week for me followed by a structured 4 week 10k plan easing myself back up to speed.

Good man. It’s pancake flat, the only issue with a good time will be heat or wind so don’t have a jalfrazi on Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I refuse to believe these people are all human I mean FFS.

Astonishing times. I didn’t watch the race but the report I read said Kipchoge looked at ease right to the finish line. As you say, FFS.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It was incredible to watch because although Kipchoge looked a little bit troubled in the last few miles, he never looked like he was going to drop the pace and if the other fella hadn't dropped away, he could have found a bit more. Madness. :bowdown:

My hip is still not right, so I'm going to focus on cross training this week before deciding which marathon to attack later in the year. I'm going to carry on focusing on longer distances, I think the Lunar-tic will happen again, because it's an evening race!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Although I'm feeling good at the moment need to prepare for when Jesus the sports injury healer emigrates.

Woman at the allotment goes to our fast man from Withdean, Malcolm Stuart. Says it's £25 a session and he works from his bungalow in Mile Oak, with swimming pool, flitting between 2 clients at the same time. Must be worth a visit just to see the set up.
http://www.malcolmstuart.co.uk/

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Although I'm feeling good at the moment need to prepare for when Jesus the sports injury healer emigrates.

Woman at the allotment goes to our fast man from Withdean, Malcolm Stuart. Says it's £25 a session and he works from his bungalow in Mile Oak, with swimming pool, flitting between 2 clients at the same time. Must be worth a visit just to see the set up.
http://www.malcolmstuart.co.uk/

Jesus is fully booked up now until he leaves. His last day at Coral’s is 18th May.

I’m booked in for this Tuesday with the new onsite physio there so I’ll report back with my review.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just got back in from a full day photographing at the Southampton Marathon with Ant and his SSP squadron. Anybody run that today? The weather was probably just a little kinder than London with the temperature down a few notches.

Am going to watch the Marathon highlights over dinner. Suddenly my life is all about marathons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just got back in from a full day photographing at the Southampton Marathon with Ant and his SSP squadron. Anybody run that today? The weather was probably just a little kinder than London with the temperature down a few notches.

Am going to watch the Marathon highlights over dinner. Suddenly my life is all about marathons.

Not me but a couple of clubmates did it. Think they were a bit below par on expected times as whilst not as hot as VLM is was still sticky. Feels much fresher out now ironically.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Jesus is fully booked up now until he leaves. His last day at Coral’s is 18th May.

I’m booked in for this Tuesday with the new onsite physio there so I’ll report back with my review.

Drat, I hadn’t realised Paul was emigrating! I need a full MOT at some point as I don’t want to start sub 4 training in November and blow straight up. I think I’ll give Malcolm a try, just up the road from me, ex Albion connection and a really nice guy who did the emergency first aid part of my Level One coaching course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Eased into some windy intervals today. 6 X 1/4 mile with 1/4 mile recovery. Sandwiched between warm up and cool down. Was looking forward to a pretty Strava graph with 6 humps from a horizontal straight line but accidentally left the watch on and recorded a 45" mile pace amble around the garden and ended up with a horizontal line.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Sunday, well what can I say. I had an absolutely brilliant weekend. Met up with some running mates at the expo and had a good day, we then went to Canary Wharf for some food and and chill out. I headed back to my hotel and we all hoped for a dramatic change in the weather. So 6am Sunday monrning and not a cloud in the sky. A few of us met up at London Bridge and we headed to Blackheath. It was Scorchio, no cover, no trees, but luckily plenty of water and sports drinks being handed out. I got in my starting pen at 9.30 and crossed the start line at 10.38, the new waves a good idea, but meant a long long wait in the sun. I had tired legs from Brighton so planned to start with the 4.30 pace runners and drop back with a target of 5 hours (Brighton time was 4.32). It all started well, up to 7 miles then the 4.30 pacer dropped out! I had lost the other one, so was now on my own. The crowd support and fellow runners are amazing, I enjoyed the sites, the atmosphere and used every drinks station or shower point plus the welcome additional spray points provided by a couple fo fire stations. I started to really struggle at mile 23 so moved to the side of the course to get as many high fives , jelly babies, orange segements, water and name shouts as possible. The noise and support from the crowd from miles 23-25 is something I will not forget, it literally pushed me along, I have to confess to shedding a little tear as it was so immense. The final mile was brilliant and looking back even with the heat and tired legs probably the most I have enjoyed 26.2 miles. I took in the crowds, the sites, the whole event and absolutely loved it. I crossed the line in 5.05 so everything went pretty much to plan. My 3 in 6 weeks will now finish in Edinburgh on the 27th May.
Buckingham Palace 1.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run It's creeping up on us. Wednesday evening June 20th 7pm. World Cup Iran v Spain that night so no football excuses.

Anyone interested thumbs up this post so we get an idea of how many teams we'll enter. As each team has 4 runners it's only fair to guarantee places to those who put their names forward first.

Nice one – Wednesdays work well with the Ironman training plan –sort of. I'm down for a six-mile 'easy run', so I'll work around that! Great event.

Sunday, well what can I say. I had an absolutely brilliant weekend. Met up with some running mates at the expo and had a good day, we then went to Canary Wharf for some food and and chill out. I headed back to my hotel and we all hoped for a dramatic change in the weather. So 6am Sunday monrning and not a cloud in the sky. A few of us met up at London Bridge and we headed to Blackheath. It was Scorchio, no cover, no trees, but luckily plenty of water and sports drinks being handed out. I got in my starting pen at 9.30 and crossed the start line at 10.38, the new waves a good idea, but meant a long long wait in the sun. I had tired legs from Brighton so planned to start with the 4.30 pace runners and drop back with a target of 5 hours (Brighton time was 4.32). It all started well, up to 7 miles then the 4.30 pacer dropped out! I had lost the other one, so was now on my own. The crowd support and fellow runners are amazing, I enjoyed the sites, the atmosphere and used every drinks station or shower point plus the welcome additional spray points provided by a couple fo fire stations. I started to really struggle at mile 23 so moved to the side of the course to get as many high fives , jelly babies, orange segements, water and name shouts as possible. The noise and support from the crowd from miles 23-25 is something I will not forget, it literally pushed me along, I have to confess to shedding a little tear as it was so immense. The final mile was brilliant and looking back even with the heat and tired legs probably the most I have enjoyed 26.2 miles. I took in the crowds, the sites, the whole event and absolutely loved it. I crossed the line in 5.05 so everything went pretty much to plan. My 3 in 6 weeks will now finish in Edinburgh on the 27th May.
View attachment 96369

Nice one, Mr B. It brings back memories of past VLMs for me. It's a really special race, glad you got round and enjoyed it. The pacer dropping out is a bit dodgy though!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You can tell the big two marathons (for most people) are out of the way – this thread is dropping like a stone :lol:

Anyway, the Ironman training plan calls for intervals tomorrow with 'relaxed sprints' ??? Any ideas what they might be, or how they might differ from standard ones? Just a bit slower, I'm guessing, but enough to get the HR up...

TIA

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
10 days until my marathon. Just quietly carrying on with my taper runs and trying to avoid any kind of injury or illness. I'm at that point where I just want it to be race day.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You can tell the big two marathons (for most people) are out of the way – this thread is dropping like a stone :lol:

It'll get busy again on Monday when ballot entries for next year's London Marathon open! :thumbsup:

In the meantime I've entered the Hogs Back Road Race, and its new June sister race, as something to keep me interested either side of the Barns Green Half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It'll get busy again on Monday when ballot entries for next year's London Marathon open! :thumbsup:

In the meantime I've entered the Hogs Back Road Race, and its new June sister race, as something to keep me interested either side of the Barns Green Half.

And I’ve got Stockholm marathon in a months time. This is now relegated to a training run as I can’t batter myself as I need to pick up the Berlin marathon training the following Monday. The question is how fast/slow do I run this so I am okay for the following Monday?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
View attachment 96369

You’re looking trim. Mr Not Blobby! Well done Sir!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's true. I got the email about the BM 10k this morning. Bit steep price-wise, but I'll probably end up getting involved, just to make sure I don't miss out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here