Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Even the Aussie Government calling for Smith to stand down.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There should at least be an investigation.

More than likely user error given the evidence in New Zealand currently, but something didn’t seem right about the way we collapsed with ease at certain points and it didn’t really happen to them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was sandpaper and if it had been the Pakistani team caught doing this they would already have been banned from Test cricket for years to come. Double standards? Cricket?
Weird, it is being reported as sticky tape over here.

Players hatched the idea of cheating with yellow sticky tape, which they hoped would capture debris from the pitch and scuff one side of the ball in an attempt to get it to reverse swing, at lunch on Saturday (local time).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...australia-confesses-to-ball-tampering/9584476

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Steve Smith is an even bigger idiot if he thinks he will survive this. The Aussie Prime Minister was already waded in this morning expressing his disgust.

Smith and Warner now stood down for the rest of this Test. It's going to be a lot longer than that.

I can already hear the 'Same old convicts, always cheating' chants the next time they're here. And the South African fans normally dish a bit out, going to be lively today.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Steve Smith is an even bigger idiot if he thinks he will survive this. The Aussie Prime Minister was already waded in this morning expressing his disgust.

Smith and Warner now stood down for the rest of this Test. It's going to be a lot longer than that.

I can already hear the 'Same old convicts, always cheating' chants the next time they're here. And the South African fans normally dish a bit out, going to be lively today.

Surely Bancroft has to removed, he did it ?

Why step down they are still playing in the game.

How many players have they got out there ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It would be great for some sort of compensation to be worked out for millions of us who watched at unearthly hours and shelved out on BT sport. Cheating Aussie b@stards.:wrong:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Looks to me like Cricket Australia got a pretty fierce phone call from the PM telling them what to do, having disgraced the nation. The pre-meditated aspect from the 'leaders' makes it a lot worse, and impossible for Smith to carry on in that role IMHO.

But of course you're right, Bancroft should be removed. If it isn't from this Test, he will presumably be getting a ban.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It's a weird one I'll grant you, but, the Test has to go on. What we have here is attempted cheating outside the Laws of the game. The attempt did not work so Smith and Warner, who both admit prior knowledge have stood down as captain and vice but will play on for the remainder of the Test. Any ban will have to be looked at the end of this Test but I can see a spell on the sidelines for all three players either voluntarily or enforced.

Bearing in mind that match fixing is about cheating for financial gain and is punishable by long bans, surely cheating to gain an unfair advantage is a kind of match fixing and should also be punishable with long bans ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Yes it's wrong but I find the whole affair a bit of a non news story as it's been going on for years. I know this doesn't make it right but it's not the first time and won't be the last. Bottle tops, dirt in pockets, lozenges, sun cream, ect.
The Aussies were just stupid enough to get caught.
Even at club cricket you give the ball to a certain fielder and the ball comes back to the bowler in an unrecognisable condition from the previous delivery.
Wrong yes but it happens.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Excellent stuff. Great SMH article. Can't get rid of the grin covering my face.

I do know that I would rather rub Vaseline on my balls than sandpaper.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Er, Mike Atherton. Short memories people seem to have.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Not really, whenever I hear about ball tampering I think about Atherton and I guess many do the same. It hasn’t effected his media career but he’ll still have that stigma attached to him.

Smith will be recognised as a gifted run maker in years to come, but also as a cheat. People don’t forget.

Jimmy Grimble

Broad perhaps insinuating that the Aussies may have been tampering in the Ashes.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Surprised by all the outraged comments in Australia. Their PM is saying it’s completely beyond belief that the Australian cricket team have cheated, Australian cricketers are role models, cricket is about fair play. This is the country that bleed under armed to New Zealand who needed a 6 to win a match a few years ago. Ha

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can't see how Smith can remain as Captain. He has admitted he knew about the ball tampering before hand. He has basically admitted to cheating. He simply has too stand down, and if he doesn't, he should be sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here