Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mushrooming

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There wasn't mush room when a group of mates tried this in my garden ..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
As others have said mushroom season is generally Autumn September/October usually after a cool damp night need to get out early for field mushrooms as the animals will trample then if left but you can still find them in Febuary and to be fair it's been a mild winter so far, look out for Giant Puffballs solid mushroom upto the size of a football make sure it's very white and not yellow just slice and fry in butter, for field mushrooms check that they are fresh and do not bruise a yellow colour or bleed when cut again yellow or brown make sure the underside of the mushroom is a dark brown and not light flesh also smell the mushroom if it smells mushroom that's good if it smell at all of almonds that's bad if only ever eat a mushroom if 100% sure as lots of field looking mushrooms are not safe to eat we were only talking to a lady this week who's son picked and eat the wrong type and died.
My advice if you are really not sure is go to Tesco and buy a tray of wild mushrooms when you get home from the mushroom hunt quietly bin any you pick and serve up the purchased ones so very much safer

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Find out where is is going exactly Jack and get up there with your camera. A new long running thread could develop here.

I'm on it!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Anyone know any good spots for the magic ones? I've searched to no avail.

There was a superb field in Horam which seemed to offer ideal conditions for them as they were everywhere. Apparently the field is now covered in solar panels so that's the end of that colony. :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Phallus Impudicus is quite common around these parts.
I'd imagine you'd kick up quite a stink among your lady companions waving one of those things about though.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm a kean forager.
Been doing it quite a while now. Love autumn for this reason
Best to go on a foray to begin with.
I recommend Geoff Dann and he's just written a book which is very good for British fungi.
I can give you his number and he goes out around the Hastings and rye area.
There's over 4000 species in this country and no more than 10 that are really fatal.
Another bible is rogers mushrooms. Buy in online

How many are there that are a bit fatal?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
How many are there that are a bit fatal?

For example, the brown roll rim is poisonous but will take an estimated 20 years to kill you.
Given that the deathcap takes only 5 days, that's what we class as fatal.
There's loads that are listed as poisonous but most of these aren't fatal.
There's plenty of fungi that look very similar and the only TRUE way to determine species is a pore-print.
That's the fungi's equivalent of a thumb print

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
As others have said mushroom season is generally Autumn September/October usually after a cool damp night need to get out early for field mushrooms as the animals will trample then if left but you can still find them in Febuary and to be fair it's been a mild winter so far, look out for Giant Puffballs solid mushroom upto the size of a football make sure it's very white and not yellow just slice and fry in butter, for field mushrooms check that they are fresh and do not bruise a yellow colour or bleed when cut again yellow or brown make sure the underside of the mushroom is a dark brown and not light flesh also smell the mushroom if it smells mushroom that's good if it smell at all of almonds that's bad if only ever eat a mushroom if 100% sure as lots of field looking mushrooms are not safe to eat we were only talking to a lady this week who's son picked and eat the wrong type and died.
My advice if you are really not sure is go to Tesco and buy a tray of wild mushrooms when you get home from the mushroom hunt quietly bin any you pick and serve up the purchased ones so very much safer

This ....mate of mine picked the wrong one and ended up foaming at the mouth, after drinking copious amounts of water from a local stream he ended up violently ill.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Aren't there better things to do on a Saturday than potentially poison yourself?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I love mushrooming early in the morning, adding some beans, eggs and bacon to them and lavishing them like my bit on the side.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a friend who is into foraging and he has taken me out locally looking for funghi a couple of times.

Both times have been Nov/ Dec and we found winter Chanterelle, hedgehog, bluetts and Amethyst deceivers.

FB_IMG_1486166109256.jpg

I borrowed [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] s dehumidifier and stored them in jars.

Later i made some mushroom pate which was apparently very nice. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] both had some.

FB_IMG_1486166127594.jpg

I would never go out on my own, despite owning a number of books on the subject, it's far too dangerous.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1486166118231.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486166118231.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 385

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Once went to a foraging course at the Food Festival on Hove Lawns. One of these is tasty snack and the other will kill you in 48 hours.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I have a friend who is into foraging and he has taken me out locally looking for funghi a couple of times.

Both times have been Nov/ Dec and we found winter Chanterelle, hedgehog, bluetts and Amethyst deceivers.

I borrowed [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] s dehumidifier and stored them in jars.

Later i made some mushroom pate which was apparently very nice. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] both had some.

I would never go out on my own, despite owning a number of books on the subject, it's far too dangerous.

Was a tasty pate.

Dehydrators are great if you have an allotment or grow chillies as they are great at preserving produce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here