Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
My point was more that politically if you are defined as poor then you are somehow undeniably vulnerable and once deemed vulnerable you must remain unchallenged.

Poverty is a little easier to define, but the arbitrary formula of 60% of the UK median income only offers some kind of relative poverty and shouldn't immediately, in my view define them as vulnerable.

My own Son who is 22 years who graduated a year ago is in what we consider a decent job and his annual salary is a rather disappointing £34.00 per week above this imaginary poverty line, he is neither poor nor vulnerable.

So whilst accepting there are vulnerable people that should receive unstinting support, I am less inclined to accept poverty in the context used by the left is so prevalent, more a dysfunctionality that often manifest itself into a position of need that then makes them vulnerable.

Its a more complex set of circumstances that rely on different solutions, just saying benefit claimants must be both vulnerable and/or poor is not always true.

Funnily enough I dont think were in disagreement. Many poor people are not vulnerable and many vulnerable people are not poor. I also acknowledge there are those on the left, usually those who have no experience of poverty, who think that being poor prevents you from feeling joy, pleasure or even that you didnt choose to be poor. I know from personal experience none of that is true.

All I was saying is that as one of those who uses the term, many of us are aware of the point you make and are using the term poor and vulnerable rather than poor or vulnerable.

I really dont know why I feel the need to debate this point. Perhaps today I am just feeling vulnerable :)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
here are some policies of JC that the majority of the public agree with.
renationalising the railways.
75% top rate tax on incomes over 1 million.
international convention on banning nuclear weapons.
rent controls on private landlords.
mandatory living wage.
cut tuition fees.
didn't want iraq war and bombings in Syria.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...most-people-actually-agree-with-10407148.html
and this is from the Independent which is a tory rag.
The Independent a Tory rag???
Hardly; do some research.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In all honesty I couldn't be doing with the argument, some think Corbyn is some sort of force of nature some think he's a prick, that's what it boils down to.

Love and peace to you all, even the nutters.

:)

A neat summary of 180 plus pages.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
I could have guessed. But Mizen also appears to support a number of workers issues which Corbyn does. I was wondering if there is a tipping point where this would out weigh the other in light of McDonald's comments? Clearly not and I understand.
And what's your view on this piece of shit ?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
PMQs was refreshing I thought. If this new style of debate in the House lasts then all good (not necessarily the public questions, that would become stale, but I don't believe for a minute JC is that naïve, good opening idea though to set a new tone). Credit where it's due, I though DC played it with a pretty straight bat too and attempted to answer most of the questions fairly directly and showed respect for JC. Who you were more convinced by will obviously depend on your world view, but I'd imagine a fair few of the undecided are at least going to start getting a bit more interested in Parliamentary debate again, at least I hope so.

I thought PMQ was all a bit of a gimmick by Corbyn, more to do with his lack of skills,his unwillingness to ever get involved in confrontation and choosing a format he can hide behind as opposed to trying to make the commons more accountable.

He really should know by now what the concerns of the people he represents are.He should be able to ask his own questions accordingly and not rely on requests by email.
Other MP`s seem to have no problem raising issues that have been brought to their attention by people in their constituencies.

I don’t buy into this bunkum that the commons is simply a bear pit that must be more accountable.Yes PMQ is rowdy, but it’s a few minutes of daft theatre. I can only presume those asking for change only ever watch PMQ rarely on the news which would give this false impression. I very much doubt they switch over to the parliament channel after Eastenders when you can still catch reasoned measured debate still going on in The Commons,The Lords and in Select Committee meetings………..and yes I am fully aware as i wrote this I realised I probably need to get out more.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I thought PMQ was all a bit of a gimmick by Corbyn, more to do with his lack of skills,his unwillingness to ever get involved in confrontation and choosing a format he can hide behind as opposed to trying to make the commons more accountable.

He really should know by now what the concerns of the people he represents are.He should be able to ask his own questions accordingly and not rely on requests by email.
Other MP`s seem to have no problem raising issues that have been brought to their attention by people in their constituencies.

I don’t buy into this bunkum that the commons is simply a bear pit that must be more accountable.Yes PMQ is rowdy, but it’s a few minutes of daft theatre. I can only presume those asking for change only ever watch PMQ rarely on the news which would give this false impression. I very much doubt they switch over to the parliament channel after Eastenders when you can still catch reasoned measured debate still going on in The Commons,The Lords and in Select Committee meetings………..and yes I am fully aware as i wrote this I realised I probably need to get out more.

Although I feel you may need to get out a tad more you've hit the nail right on its bonce its a yes from me! :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
She was in the studio with Adam Parsons, Nicky Campbell and me. The voice was like melted Toblerone and she WINKED at me when she asked a question.

#Love

I know - i was listening. Lucky *******.

Top marks for managing to mention Brighton and Hove Albion though! Made me smile.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

What is this 'Eastenders' you speak of?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can only presume those asking for change only ever watch PMQ rarely on the news.

"Those" includes both Cameron and Corbyn. I think it's fair to say both see a bit more than the odd few minutes on the News at 10

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have always found PMQ's very embarrassing, our parliament is set up so confrontational. Good to see other ways, although would have been good to see Corbyn come back and challenge some of Cameron's bland responses. Look forward to what he is going to do next PMQ's that I think may be after the conferences.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i like the idea of peoples questions, and maybe MPs would do well to take this up more widely as a simple way to contect to constituents and engage them in the political process (get a name drop against the questions. in practical terms though its a gimmick of course - Corbyn isnt going to ask any question he wouldnt otherwise likely ask. now if there was suggestions then an open poll on those questions, things could get interesting (and potentialy embaressing for Corbyn so unlikly).

and "reasoned measured debate" is one of putting it, i'd call it dull, tedious rambling. it aint for TV.

Look forward to what he is going to do next PMQ's that I think may be after the conferences.

isnt he going to sit and let someone else take the session as part of his new politics? i'm sure that was something being talked about at the weekend.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
I could have guessed. But Mizen also appears to support a number of workers issues which Corbyn does. I was wondering if there is a tipping point where this would out weigh the other in light of McDonald's comments? Clearly not and I understand.

Well ?? What's your view ??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well ?? What's your view ??

Taken at face value, what McDonnell said seemed reasonable to me. As did a number of other items in that particular interview.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
i like the idea of peoples questions, and maybe MPs would do well to take this up more widely as a simple way to contect to constituents and engage them in the political process (get a name drop against the questions. in practical terms though its a gimmick of course - Corbyn isnt going to ask any question he wouldnt otherwise likely ask. now if there was suggestions then an open poll on those questions, things could get interesting (and potentialy embaressing for Corbyn so unlikly).

and "reasoned measured debate" is one of putting it, i'd call it dull, tedious rambling. it aint for TV.

isnt he going to sit and let someone else take the session as part of his new politics? i'm sure that was something being talked about at the weekend.

Probably Zippy from Rainbow:lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know - i was listening. Lucky *******.

Top marks for managing to mention Brighton and Hove Albion though! Made me smile.

It's up there with squeezing 18 Joy Division and New Order titles into an article what I wrote for the club programme as one of the highlights of my life

#Loser

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here