Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Insomnia

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Think of five England players with names beginning a then b then c etc.
Works for me .
Also begin your wind down at least an hour before bedtime.
Also worth having sex, if possible

Baz2000

Oct 12, 2017
Used to suffer badly with insomnia due to multiple reasons for stressing me out - would go to bed and if I wasn’t worrying about anything I would start thinking ‘there must be something I should be’ and soon latched onto some concern or another
My cure came when my wife started watching QVC in bed - clothes, makeup, shoes, skincare, handbags, perfume etc etc.
I would set the auto timer for 30 minutes and have the volume just loud enough to hear which totally stops any train of thought and for my part stopped my ability to concentrate on my worries - seldom stayed awake long enough to witness the tv switching itself off - sorted
Hope this may help

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably not enough to be honest. I dont take any caffeine. Some of the meds I need to take could be worth reviewing, ironically that was what todays meeting/appointment was intended for which I moved

Really annoying, last night was the worst for ages and I ended up crashing at half ten am and slept all day, proper deep sleep as well until six. Not good. Not looking forward to tonight, it should be nearly bed time but not been up long

I cant take valium or diazepams neither

Don’t sleep in the daytime or max it at 20 minutes.

Going for a long walk, do anything else, instead.

You’re in a vicious circle of daytime sleeps taking your body’s edge off of a needing a full deep sleep at night.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sleep is hugely important for health. I suffer with ulcerative colitis and sleep is something I've worked on a lot to help improve my quality of life and in turn has really help my disease.

A lot of poor sleep is due to disrupted circadian rhythm. We don't get enough light exposure during the day, particularly the winter. (also affects Vit D levels which are important for health and sleep) we then get exposed to too much light in the evening when naturally we should be get less though screens, lights, mobile devices etc. Throw in sedentary lifestyles, poor diet and chronic stress, it's a recipe for disaster.

I started tracking my sleep about a year ago using an app called Sleep Cycle. Although I though I was getting reasonable sleep, my nightly "score" was between 50 and 60% I've since then worked hard on improving it. I now get it between 80 and 90% most nights. Wow was a difference it's made to my health and life. Some of the things I've done specifically for sleep (or have an effect on sleep) -

Consistent wake/sleep times even weekends
Avoid all screens at least 1hour before bed
If I do use screen, enable "night/bedtime mode" or install flux.
Bought some blue light blocking glasses which I wear in the evenings
Dim lights in the evening
Magnesium supplementation - magnesium (epsom salt) bath before bed. (Being hot then cooling sends you to sleep)
Vitamin D supplement in the morning (never in the evening as this will wake you, it's the "sunshine vitamin")
Try to get light exposure in the day walk at lunch etc.
Mindfullness as much as possible - Headspace app is very good
Keep my bedroom cool and dark - wear an eye mask if necessary.

Their just a few ideas. These two articles are very interesting if you want learn more -

https://chriskresser.com/how-much-sleep-do-you-need/
https://chriskresser.com/8-tips-for-beating-insomnia-and-improving-your-sleep/

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure about insomnia, but I have a problem where I just don't get enough sleep.
I average about 5 hours and that is restless according to Mrs OzMike.
I often feel tired during the day and lose a bit of concentration.

My missus is struggling with this. Got her a fitbit for Christmas and she has been wearing it over night so it gives here a readout of her sleep patterns. She is getting little or no deep sleep over night.

She now has a log to take to the doctors on Monday to see what can be done.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I really suffer as well. It's one of those things where it doesn't matter how early I go to bed, or how much sleep I've had, I will always feel tired.
Active mind seems to be the worst thing, most nights I lie there with some song from Moana (or whatever the kids are obsessed with) going round and round my head.

I've been trying the following recently:
No coffee / caffeine outside of working hours.
No screen time an hour before bed (reading instead)

Made no noticeable difference so far but a friend has done this and said it's really helped.

I struggled with this for a few years. My solution has been to listen to podcasts to give my mind something to focus on. Works a treat, although now i am a slave to having my phone and headphones available wherever I am sleeping.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
As I do shift work, and have to sleep during the day I listen to R5L. I find it blokes out any back ground noise. I now listen to it at night as I’ve got used to having the radio on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Avoid all screens at least 1hour before bed.

Bruno said the same thing in an article recently. Also think about what you're eating and drinking in the later part of the day, obviously avoiding stimulants like caffeine, fizzy drinks. I try to be in bed an hour before sleeping, as you say, no screens, and I'll read to slow the mind down. Might try the sleep cycle app as I'd be interested in monitoring it. I've also been doing Yoga at lunchtimes 3 or 4 times per week which is amazing, I'm completely hooked on the whole concept of a work out but also about breathing, meditation and calmness. I've also got the Headspace app, and just amazing what simply taking 5 or 10mins out of your day and breathing can do for your mental wellbeing. Max Strom is another one to watch on Youtube who gave a Tedtalk and breathing techniques.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Its a b1tch isnt it. Any one get it? When you are lying in bed at 2 thinking I should be asleep, ah it will be ok, Cant shut down or get in the zone, try every combination of pillows duvets and lying down positions 5 hours till the alarm goes off then alarm goes off and you havent slept a wink. GRRRRR :yawn::yawn::yawn::(

I bet thinking about that bloody pub doesn’t help.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In response to some interest in my sleeping arrangements I can confirm that I do not sleep alone. However if I am experiencing trouble nodding off, a discreet trip to the bathroom in the depths of night where, bent double over my flying fist, I find relief followed by deep sleep when I quietly slip back between the sheets. Sorted.

My bathroom is way too cold at 3.00am for anything like that

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As I do shift work, and have to sleep during the day I listen to R5L. I find it blokes out any back ground noise. I now listen to it at night as I’ve got used to having the radio on.

Any headaches? I do nights every so often and if I don't take headache tablets in the morning before going to bed I wake up with a banging head. Quite common apparently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here