Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The last post on the Burnley messageboard thread on this. Says it all I think:

"I'm closing this thread because it has now reached the point where there are too many posts that need to be removed.

There are accusations from some posters of racists posting on here. We are currently working on setting up rules for this board that will come into place some time during the close season. We will rid this board of racists because it is what decent people want. I can confirm that a number of posters are currently serving suspensions for recent, and totally unacceptable, racist and/or homophobic posts. They are week long suspensions but in future those suspensions will become considerably longer.

We will continue to need everyone's help although the plan will be to have more mods which will enable us to police the board in a much better way than we do now. A big thanks to those who have reported posts on this thread which have enabled action to be taken."

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

"I'm closing this thread because it has now reached the point where there are too many posts that need to be removed.

There are accusations from some posters of racists posting on here. We are currently working on setting up rules for this board that will come into place some time during the close season. We will rid this board of racists because it is what decent people want. I can confirm that a number of posters are currently serving suspensions for recent, and totally unacceptable, racist and/or homophobic posts. They are week long suspensions but in future those suspensions will become considerably longer.

We will continue to need everyone's help although the plan will be to have more mods which will enable us to police the board in a much better way than we do now. A big thanks to those who have reported posts on this thread which have enabled action to be taken."

Can we sing "you're just a board full of racists?"

Oh, the delicious irony.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Maybe thats why a few have been on here because they can't get on their own board :moo:

Last edited:

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
I think most would find it hard to view JR to be a victim of anything else rather than process.

Although the whole thing became inflamed (and again after settling down by fans of Burnley) if you are going to behave like he did on a football field that day a number of things can potentially happen, rightly or wrongly.

What would have been really really sensible the next day would have been to issue an instant apology. That wouldn't have affected any further case since it was all there to be seen by millions.

I would have advised him to acknowledge that his actions (although not racist) were open to interpretation. Specifically it was particularly unwise to aggressively face off a fellow black player and tell him he smelt.

In most areas of employment (including mine) that would definitely result in a disciplinary. It would probably result in instant dismissal.

Whilst the organisation may not be able prove racism, I'd definitely leave under an air of suspicion that I would be unable to control.

I fully understand what a shock it would have been to him, no-one wants to be accused of that.

But he isn't a victim in this story and he trigger was pulled at West Brom.

It's ridiculous to suggest you can apply a standard from a normal workplace to that of a football pitch. If you pushed a counterpart from a rival company at a meeting that'd result in a disciplinary. If you mouthed off at an official from a regulatory body who highlighted an error of yours that'd result in a disciplinary etc.

I made my stance pretty clear in my first post on the issue. I didn't boo Bong because he made a complaint, I booed because outside of the correct process he made statements that could have been potentially prejudicial, could not be proven and if made during the course of a criminal trial would likely have resulted in the collapse of the case. He then continued to make the statements after the tribunal did not rule in his favour.

RE: Exoneration. Unless the charge/sanctions have been suspended or the accusation is still being investigated then for all intents and purposes he has been exonerated. At the very least saying he has been exonerated is a close to the ruling of the tribunal/content of the report as Bong's repeated statements in the aftermath. So if you suggest that Rodriguez is wrong to make such comments then you must also accept that Bong is wrong to make his. IMO they should have both kept it to a minimum but it was Bong who prompted the post-tribunal exchange and that cannot be denied.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't know.

You do seem to have a bit of a problem down there with hearing things. It may be a strange form of tinnitus or just some folk like making things up.

I mean you have one chap on the other thread who posted yesterday that we were singing 'We are racist and we don't care'.

Yet I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone else anywhere. I wonder which tune that went with, and were there any cuckoo noises?

You fella have lost all credibility on these boards because you refused to condemn the constant abuse of Bong and the homophobic chants of your pals.

Don't give a **** about your opinion on anything.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
It's ridiculous to suggest you can apply a standard from a normal workplace to that of a football pitch. If you pushed a counterpart from a rival company at a meeting that'd result in a disciplinary. If you mouthed off at an official from a regulatory body who highlighted an error of yours that'd result in a disciplinary etc.

I made my stance pretty clear in my first post on the issue. I didn't boo Bong because he made a complaint, I booed because outside of the correct process he made statements that could have been potentially prejudicial, could not be proven and if made during the course of a criminal trial would likely have resulted in the collapse of the case. He then continued to make the statements after the tribunal did not rule in his favour.

RE: Exoneration. Unless the charge/sanctions have been suspended or the accusation is still being investigated then for all intents and purposes he has been exonerated. At the very least saying he has been exonerated is a close to the ruling of the tribunal/content of the report as Bong's repeated statements in the aftermath. So if you suggest that Rodriguez is wrong to make such comments then you must also accept that Bong is wrong to make his. IMO they should have both kept it to a minimum but it was Bong who prompted the post-tribunal exchange and that cannot be denied.

As has been pointed out. Your own webmaster has taken Bonggate off your own forum because of, guess what, racism and homophobia. You're on your last cigarette when it comes to this. The fact you continue to defend your club, in spite of the mounting hysteria up there, tells me that you are either a fool or so obdurate that you will not shift an inch whether or not you're right.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I made my stance pretty clear in my first post on the issue. I didn't boo Bong because he made a complaint, I booed because outside of the correct process he made statements that could have been potentially prejudicial, could not be proven and if made during the course of a criminal trial would likely have resulted in the collapse of the case.

That stand was full of solicitors was it ?

I can imagine the interchange...

Mmm, that chap seems unaware of the due process...

It seems so.

Do you think I should boo ?

Yes I think you should.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Keep on digging pal. Anyone who actually watches the footage can see Rodriguez holding his nose and disguising his lip movement as he comments to Bong. The question most normal, level headed people will be asking is what was he hiding, and why. Why indeed. And why apologise if he is 'exonerated'? Sorry but you lot now look like the kid with chocolate round his mouth stamping his foot and insisting he didn't eat the cake. This won't go away easily, and Burnley Football club looks like a disgrace in the light of its deafening silence regarding the fans behaviour. The world is now watching, and you have only yourselves to blame. Good luck with justifying 90 mins of booing a black player over a race incident.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
First highlight - Reiterating his stance that Rodriguez made a racist comment, a pretty direct criticism.
Second highlight - Rodriguez's statement which he was forced into making after Bong posted a tweet minutes after the tribunal's verdict was made public which also continued to state, unequivocally, that he did not mishear and Rodriguez made racists remarks, whilst also misrepresenting Rodriguez's apology as him accepting he made a racist remark. Had Bong not made this statement chances are JR would have maintained the respectful minimum comment that he had done throughout the whole process, unlike Bong who went on international TV to state Rodriguez was racist (whilst simultaneously contradicting his statement in immediate aftermath of the incident, as highlighted in the tribunal's report).

Next.

What were the "statements issued by him and on his behalf by his various PR and legal advisors" referred to in Bong's statement?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
“Did he say anything to Gaetan Bong that was out of order? I really don’t know."

quote from Scholes, 66, a leading member of the Burnley FC Supporters Groups,

BHA supported Bong's right to make the accusation. They never said we backed someone with no evidence whatsoever.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Rodriguez probably said what Bong alleges. His actions at the time were so suspicious that, on the balance of probability, it's almost certain.
I think he regretted it almost immediately...he looks shell shocked when Bong fronted him and called the officials attention to it.
I doubt he is a raving racist, it looks like he was very angry with Bongs challenge before the incident and hit out with a stupid comment.
I then think he tried to apologise to Bong, who wasn't having it.
Rodriguez is now faced with a potential ban, possible criminal charges and a fine...not to mention a lifetime of racist association if he admits what he did...so he lied his Arse off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hopefully, we've all taken a big lesson from this:

Never start on a Burnley player. Given their defence of someone who long since left them for far better things, god help anyone who has a pop at one who is still a Claret.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
First highlight - Reiterating his stance that Rodriguez made a racist comment, a pretty direct criticism.
Second highlight - Rodriguez's statement which he was forced into making after Bong posted a tweet minutes after the tribunal's verdict was made public which also continued to state, unequivocally, that he did not mishear and Rodriguez made racists remarks, whilst also misrepresenting Rodriguez's apology as him accepting he made a racist remark. Had Bong not made this statement chances are JR would have maintained the respectful minimum comment that he had done throughout the whole process, unlike Bong who went on international TV to state Rodriguez was racist (whilst simultaneously contradicting his statement in immediate aftermath of the incident, as highlighted in the tribunal's report).

Next.

Let me put this to you. I cover my mouth and you hear what you believe is me saying something truly horrific about your family. I mean, really quite awful. No one else heard what I said. Only we know what I actually said.

You tell people around you and they say "thing is, he covered his mouth so we have absolutely no idea what he said". You say "I know what I heard"

I then say "thank you. I'm glad the truth has come out"

You would just walk away and never say anything again? You would be COMPLETELY satisfied that the process is over and we can all move on now.

Oh, let me add, my other friends are now also calling you a liar for making up the allegation.

Seems fair?

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
That stand was full of solicitors was it ?

I can imagine the interchange...

Mmm, that chap seems unaware of the due process...

It seems so.

Do you think I should boo ?

Yes I think you should.

I made my position pretty clear in my first post on the topic, as I said I can't speak for everyone but that was also the thinking of those around me that I discussed it with, it's also consistent with the stance being stated by most of the representatives of Burnley fans (ie. Scholes, Boden etc.) for the reasoning behind the booing.

The suggestion that Burnley fans booed him for "having the temerity to report" a racial slur has originated with Brighton fans. As has a completely untrue and so far uncorroborated accusation of monkey chants. It's ultimately backfired and wasn't worth it but this is due in part to the disproportionate and (in the case of the monkey chanting allegation) downright malicious response by both BHA and their fans. It's also due in part to a minority of moronic Burnley fans who continue to suggest GB lied and have wet the bed themselves and proceeded to make racist and/or homophobic comments which are wrong and cannot be justified in any circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here