Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silverstone- F1

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Bought the old man tickets to the British GP this Sunday for his birthday. Any tips from those who have been before? We have general access tickets, so advice on where to set ourselves up in order to watch the action would be great.

If you're going to travel Sunday leave very, very early in the morning as traffic around the track can sometimes take hours to get in.

Was thinking of going myself next year, and now Silverstone have told Liberty Media to do one regarding the contract looks like 2019 may be the last ever British Grand Prix.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
All i can say is get there as early a humanly possible, then you get a good chose of where your can sit. if you arrive later then all good spaces gone.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Gates open at 5 in the morning therefore be in queue by at least at 3 in order to get a good veiwing position. I used to go through that routine for many years before the new stands and corporate hospitality units took up all available space. All I can say is best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on leaving at about half 5/6 AM as it is usually about 45 mins on the M40 from mine. Might leave even earlier now!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on leaving at about half 5/6 AM as it is usually about 45 mins on the M40 from mine. Might leave even earlier now!

Echo what [MENTION=27631]Brian Parsons[/MENTION] said. Go early to get somewhere to sit and take some chairs with you to set up camp. Copse corner used to be a good viewing spot as was the exit from the 'complex' onto woodcote but I haven't been for 15 years and a lot has changed in that time. Wherever you go, there will be big screens. Ear plugs used to be a must but the mickey mouse engines change the dynamic.

Almost went this year as some of the blokes from the local have gone camping with their kids for the weekend.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Take waterproofs as it nearly always rains at some point and plenty of money as nothing is cheap. Because of the recent "terror attacks" getting in will take a lot longer than normal and that was a long process beforehand.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Take fold up chairs, waterproofs, earplugs and a picnic. Get there early.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I've been there in General Admission for the last 8 years. It's actually 6am that the gates open and you'd usually want to be in the queue an hour before to get your spot. Probably obvious, but take a camping chair, as it reserves your spot and it's a long wait until the race starts. You can take in food and drink (inc. booze but not glass bottles), which is a good thing to do, as like most events it's not the cheapest once you're in. Also if you have a portable radio and headphones, that can be good for commentary during the race.

Everyone has a different opinion on the best spot. My advice is to go to Luffield but at the Woodcote end of it. You walk under the Granstand and there is a few rows of GA. As it get close to Woodcote the fence rises, but if you get to the right of that, you can see the cars come into Brooklands corner which is at the end of the DRS zone so you get to see some overtaking, round Luffield and disapear down the old pits 'straight' towards Copse. I think it's the best place as you get overtaking action, see a lot of the cars and get very close to the cars too. You also have the leader board and big screen close by.

It's a very similar view to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzOB83NcIE but personally I'd go just a bit further to the left.

Becketts is a cool spot to see F1 cars but better for Qualifying than the race, as not really an action spot during the race. A lot of people rate Vale for GA, I don't personally see the attraction.

Once you've chosen where to go, check the nearest Gate, as you want to be as close to your spot as possible. So Gate 1 or 3 for my suggestion. In the map below, my suggested spot is in front of the Luffield granstand (not on the corner itself) to the left hand side.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/170627-EntGuide-Plan-A4-prop-lowres.pdf

Last edited:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I've been there in General Admission for the last 8 years. It's actually 6am that the gates open and you'd usually want to be in the queue an hour before to get your spot. Probably obvious, but take a camping chair, as it reserves your spot and it's a long wait until the race starts. You can take in food and drink (inc. booze but not glass bottles), which is a good thing to do, as like most events it's not the cheapest once you're in. Also if you have a portable radio and headphones, that can be good for commentary during the race.

Everyone has a different opinion on the best spot. My advice is to go to Luffield but at the Woodcote end of it. You walk under the Granstand and there is a few rows of GA. As it get close to Woodcote the fence rises, but if you get to the right of that, you can see the cars come into Brooklands corner which is at the end of the DRS zone so you get to see some overtaking, round Luffield and disapear down the old pits 'straight' towards Copse. I think it's the best place as you get overtaking action, see a lot of the cars and get very close to the cars too. You also have the leader board and big screen close by.

It's a very similar view to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzOB83NcIE but personally I'd go just a bit further to the left.

Becketts is a cool spot to see F1 cars but better for Qualifying than the race, as not really an action spot during the race. A lot of people rate Vale for GA, I don't personally see the attraction.

Once you've chosen where to go, check the nearest Gate, as you want to be as close to your spot as possible. So Gate 1 or 3 for my suggestion. In the map below, my suggested spot is in front of the Luffield granstand (not on the corner itself) to the left hand side.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/170627-EntGuide-Plan-A4-prop-lowres.pdf

Excellent advice, much appreciated!

Will aim to get there for about 5AM then to try and get a decent spot

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
When I went to the GP at Silverstone in about 1989, we started queueing the night before by the turnstile. Come about 5am, chaos ensued as the concept of queueing had suddenly been discarded, and loads of JCL dragged their knuckles past and got to the front of the scrum. But once through, we got our corner, chairs out - and relaxed!

I've been to a few GPs, always stood, and I vowed that the next time I'd buy a grandstand seat to avoid all the drama.

Take your ear defenders, esp if you're on a straight and happen to be at a point where they're accelerating through the gears - it's deafening!

Gave up on Silverstone. Traffic is awful, facilities are shit and expensive.

When we did go we camped at Whittlebury for 4 nights. If you are mad and travelling just for Sunday then get there for 5.30, if not sooner and reverse Park into your space.

I have just come back from the Austrian Grand Prix and it was fantastic. Beautiful scenery and a seat on Red Bull Tribune B which enables you to see 75% of the track.
Smaller tracks with multiple views from your seat are the future of F1 for me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

When we did go we camped at Whittlebury for 4 nights. If you are mad and travelling just for Sunday then get there for 5.30, if not sooner and reverse Park into your space.

I have just come back from the Austrian Grand Prix and it was fantastic. Beautiful scenery and a seat on Red Bull Tribune B which enables you to see 75% of the track.

I usually arrive on the Wednesday and leave on the Monday (as we're all drinking a lot on race day) and the traffic is fine doing it that way. :D It's a shame the surrounding Towns are so pants though. Went to Austin last year and the bus from Austin to COTA is about the same distance as MK to Silverstone but well, that's where the similarities end! Austin's an amazing city! I don't mind camping once a year but Austin, Montreal and Valencia were all great in terms of having a proper bed and staying in a cool city. Was very, very close to going to Austria this year but didn't quite happen in the end. Gutted as love Austria. Did you camp there? Wasn't sure whether to camp or find and Air BnB to drive too. Even considered driving back to Vienna each day! Will go to Monaco next year now that there's no chance of a Play-Off Final clash and hoping to get down to Paul Ricard too.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

If only Brands could accommodate the F1 circus.

Take fold up chairs, waterproofs, earplugs and a picnic. Get there early.

From what I understand from a mate who goes every year, earplugs are no longer a necessity since the engine change a couple of years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here