Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Country Music Fans

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ha, I thought you would be on. I'm on a limited connection at the Greenwich Premier Inn. A bit like Pipkin's wife for us. I didn't know much of Martina'work which we found a bit samey. Clearly a class act, but highlight for me too was Independence Day, which oddly I can both sing and play.
We thought Dierks was excellent and really took his opportunity to put on a great show and get to a wider audience. I'investigat his stuff when I get home. I've waited a long time for the Chicks although there selection wasn't necessarily my favourites. Sound quality was a bit shrill, but Emily and Marti were great and loved they way they smiled all through. Natalie just gives it her all and they just have such an edge. Just a thrill to see them live. Zac Brown Band were a bit too eclectic in their choices for me. Excellent musicianship, but felt they started really well, sagged in the middle and lost their audience a bit withthe extended guitar solos and God knows what posessed them, a drum solo. Finished strongly, but they had lost me a little by then. The skeleton outfits were fun, but I just think they were a little stretched over the lenght of the set. HMV in Brighton had their last two studio albums for 5.99 last week. Have to say, the last thing I wanted to hear in the end was 'here's another track from the Grohl album! Looking forward to tonight and Brad big time. If you see a guy in his fifties with a blue check Ben Sherman shirt, black levis and a wife, say Hi, it'll be me. And well done the Albion for keeping up ther part of the great weekend bargain!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Tonight should certainly be superb - Chris Young is another of my favourites who I can't wait to see live for the first time - another fantastic voice.

I don't really know any of TBPs stuff so that'll be a new experience, Rascal Flatts are not massive favs of mine but I'm assured they do a great live show so I don't doubt that will be fun.

As for Brad...we know he's going to be awesome.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
THAT, Ladies & Gentlemen, is how you do modern country music.

Brad Paisley, take a bow.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
OK, so now I'm home I shall offer a fuller review of the weekend. I look forward to hearing from [MENTION=13265]Super Steve Earle[/MENTION] or anyone else who went/knows someone who did, as my views probably won't exactly match theirs, but here goes anyway. For reference, I was seated in Block 101, so just to the left of the stage as you were looking at it - great seats, can't fault the view at all.

MARTINA MCBRIDE: I like Martina as a singer and I know she has a fantastic voice, but that didn't really come across here for me. The sound wasn't great at all (not her fault in the slightest) for most of her set and she was borderline inaudible at times over her backing band. "Independence Day" is my favourite of hers so I was pleased to hear that, and I think she did the job well of opening up and getting people in the mood.

DIERKS BENTLEY: The BIG surprise of the weekend for me. I knew a few songs of his going in, but wasn't prepared for how impressed I would be with his stage presence and live ability. He really cranked up the energy level of the place, and is someone I would now be more than happy to see play on his own. I think he's the one out of all the acts who will have seen his UK "reputation" rise the most as a result of this weekend. He also gets plus points for doing a Pink Floyd cover.

DIXIE CHICKS: Sorry to say this SSE, but they were the weak link of the weekend for me. As I've mentioned before I wasn't really aware of any of their songs beforehand, so went in with an open mind and hoped to be impressed...I wasn't. For a start, I'm not sure if there are internal issues with them or if it's just normal for how they perform, but there seemed to be no interaction at all between Natalie and the other two - at times it was bordering on a Natalie Maines solo show with the other two just hanging around to no great effect. Natalie's vocals weren't bad (particularly on "Wrecking Ball") and they certainly had their share of very loud, very loyal fans but just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid.

ZAC BROWN BAND: From the reviews I've been reading, they seem to have been the act which most divided opinion among the audience and I can certainly see why. Although some of their solos (particularly the almost-interminable one at the end of "Who Knows") went on rather too long even for my taste, I have to say I loved them. A brilliantly talented group of musicians who could probably make basically anything sound good - I'd just rather they'd cut out a solo or two and got another song in ("Whatever It Is" or "Let It Go" perhaps), but generally speaking I loved them. Probably not one for the line dancing, tasselled-jacket section of the crowd but it's inevitable with a line-up of eight acts that you won't please everyone all the time.

CHRIS YOUNG: I loved his voice going in and was hoping he'd sound as good live as on CD - I wasn't disappointed at all. Great voice, and I really wish he'd had a longer timeslot to show off more of his catalogue. Hopefully he'll be back again sometime soon though, and I'll be in the crowd when it happens.

THE BAND PERRY: If the Osmonds were around in 2014, they'd sound like this. That "I'm A Keeper" thing was possibly the cringiest thing I've ever seen a live act do, closely followed by the bloke having a crack at "God Save The Queen" on a violin. I found Kimberley's vocals a bit shouty and shrill a lot of the time, and Reid & Neil (I've no idea which was which) seemed more like backing musicians a lot of the time rather than bandmates. That said, I like "If I Die Young" and thought they performed that very well.

RASCAL FLATTS: Confession time - Gary LeVox gets right on my tits. I'm not sure quite what it is about him, but I just don't like him. Certainly a very talented singer though, as are the others - their harmonies on "Bless The Broken Road" were stunning, and overall they did a good job of doing what they were there for - to get the crowd in the right mood for the main event.

On the subject of which....

BRAD PAISLEY: Going in, Brad was my sure thing. The one act I thought I could 100% rely on to deliver a stunning show - as usual, I was not disappointed in any way, shape or form. I was on my feet from "Southern Comfort Zone" to "Alcohol" and loved every single second of it. The William Shatner bit to "Warp Speed" was very funny, and the tribute to George Jones at the end of "This Is Country Music" was just pure class. Brad is a brilliant live performer and one of only two in the world (Springsteen is the other) who I would bend over backwards to see, come hell or high water, any time they visit the UK. If I had to nitpick it would only be to say that I'd have liked to hear "Celebrity" or "Welcome To The Future", but then again I love so many of Brad's songs that I'm highly unlikely to ever get every single song I love in the same set. Overall, a superb end to a brilliant weekend of music.

Roll on 2015. :thumbsup:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hi Frutos. Me and Mrs Earle had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Stayed at the Greenwich Premier Inn and got a refund on the first night due to stale cigarette smoke coming through the air con.

I don't think we were that far distant in our opinions. Our view was from block 102 near the front and we had the luxury of access to the Amex Invites lounge for some great food and drink in between.

I had expected more familiar stuff from Martina McBride and in the end only Independence Day saved her set for me. I found it hard to differentiate the songs which didn't seem to rock, swing or move me much at all. Even the Elvis cover from her new album seemed a bit tired. Looked a star, but delivered like the opening act she was.

Dierks was the highlight of the first night for Mrs Earle with his massive enthusiasm for the show and the event. We didn't know any of his stuff but he played music that sounded instantly familiar yet fresh and looked like a guy who saw an opportunity and gave it 110%. I'll definitely look out for his stuff in future.

I know what you mean about the Dixie Chicks. We thought the sound was shrill but I knew everything they did. Unfortunately four or five were amongst my least favourites such as Sin Wagon, Goodbye Earle, Landslide. I think they went for big audience crowd pleasers and it was a thrill to see them, but I would have liked more off the last album rather than a career spanning set. But you can't have it all. I got the impression that Marti and Emily are just pleased to get Natalie back on stage so let her take the lead a bit, but she sure is an enthusiastic performer. Her voice is the strong lead, but I thought the harmonies from the girls were excellent and warm and their fiddle and banjo work added the colour and power that others don't have. I thought they were better received than ZBB too and was sorry they didn't do more.

Back later as better go to work now.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Zac Brown Band. Must be the Ashley Barnes of country music. As I said before, started well then sagged in the middle, lost the audience a bit then finished stronger. I've reflected on their set and played Uncaged again. I really liked the Uncaged songs, particularly Goodbye in her eyes, Jump right in, and The Wind. Oddly I can't recall if they played Sweet Annie but I love that track. Great musicians with no boundaries but equally that can explain the mixed reaction. I genuinely thought the tracks from The Grohl Sessions sounded a bit like a vanity project where they wanted to be associated with him but the songs weren't very good really.

So to Sunday. Hard to be objective as overlaid by anticipation Brad Paisley. Chris Young was very good although not truly memorable. But The Band Perry were great. Full of energy, edge mixed with showbizzy country pzazz. Reminded me of a country Blondie or Roxette so Mrs Earle made me laugh when we came out by saying 'They've got the Look'. The songs were strong and Fat Bottom Girls, the Queen favourite was great fun and well performed. If I Die Young was all I knew from their set. Someone did a great version of the ZZ Top classic Sharp Dessed Man, but blowed if I can remember who.

Rascall Flatts struck me as a really professional well honed act, albeit possibly a bit dull. I expect my lead singers to look a bit leaner, but he looked like a standard chubby American and I didn't like the falsetto bits. But in many respects I found them similar to ZBB, but showing a bit less flair. I'm more likely to buy another ZBB than RF?

So to the main event - Brad Paisley. Well he is a giant amongst midgets in this environment. A massive superstar amongst ordinary performers. We both felt slightly shortchanged that like the Dixie Chicks he elected to go for a career spanning set rather than include my very favourite Welcome to the Future. But what a talent. He is such a mighty guitarist he can outplay most rock musicians. The way he weaves his music around the videos is awesome and again we loved the visit to the small stage for the acoustic numbers. Was it as exciting and original as 2011 - no we didn't think so. But then we had seen it before. Were the videos as good? Not quite. But then I loved Eastwood. But they were still fun and better than any others I have ever seen - he has set the bar high and nobody does it better. It was still a great show.

Overall we had a fantastic couple of days and a really great break. Loved the atmosphere at the 02 but they could pay a bit more attention to the sound. Brad was still a knockout, Dixie Chicks were excellent, ZBB are obviously big hitters now and Dierks Bentley and The Band Perry were our exciting newcomers. What next year?

P.S. Topped the weekend with a Monday nigt visit to the West End for Angela Lansbury in Blythe Spirit. A hilarious, brilliant way to finish a great 3 days in town including an Albion win as well.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
OK, so now I'm home I shall offer a fuller review of the weekend. I look forward to hearing from [MENTION=13265]Super Steve Earle[/MENTION] or anyone else who went/knows someone who did, as my views probably won't exactly match theirs, but here goes anyway. For reference, I was seated in Block 101, so just to the left of the stage as you were looking at it - great seats, can't fault the view at all.

MARTINA MCBRIDE: I like Martina as a singer and I know she has a fantastic voice, but that didn't really come across here for me. The sound wasn't great at all (not her fault in the slightest) for most of her set and she was borderline inaudible at times over her backing band. "Independence Day" is my favourite of hers so I was pleased to hear that, and I think she did the job well of opening up and getting people in the mood.

DIERKS BENTLEY: The BIG surprise of the weekend for me. I knew a few songs of his going in, but wasn't prepared for how impressed I would be with his stage presence and live ability. He really cranked up the energy level of the place, and is someone I would now be more than happy to see play on his own. I think he's the one out of all the acts who will have seen his UK "reputation" rise the most as a result of this weekend. He also gets plus points for doing a Pink Floyd cover.

DIXIE CHICKS: Sorry to say this SSE, but they were the weak link of the weekend for me. As I've mentioned before I wasn't really aware of any of their songs beforehand, so went in with an open mind and hoped to be impressed...I wasn't. For a start, I'm not sure if there are internal issues with them or if it's just normal for how they perform, but there seemed to be no interaction at all between Natalie and the other two - at times it was bordering on a Natalie Maines solo show with the other two just hanging around to no great effect. Natalie's vocals weren't bad (particularly on "Wrecking Ball") and they certainly had their share of very loud, very loyal fans but just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid.

ZAC BROWN BAND: From the reviews I've been reading, they seem to have been the act which most divided opinion among the audience and I can certainly see why. Although some of their solos (particularly the almost-interminable one at the end of "Who Knows") went on rather too long even for my taste, I have to say I loved them. A brilliantly talented group of musicians who could probably make basically anything sound good - I'd just rather they'd cut out a solo or two and got another song in ("Whatever It Is" or "Let It Go" perhaps), but generally speaking I loved them. Probably not one for the line dancing, tasselled-jacket section of the crowd but it's inevitable with a line-up of eight acts that you won't please everyone all the time.

CHRIS YOUNG: I loved his voice going in and was hoping he'd sound as good live as on CD - I wasn't disappointed at all. Great voice, and I really wish he'd had a longer timeslot to show off more of his catalogue. Hopefully he'll be back again sometime soon though, and I'll be in the crowd when it happens.

THE BAND PERRY: If the Osmonds were around in 2014, they'd sound like this. That "I'm A Keeper" thing was possibly the cringiest thing I've ever seen a live act do, closely followed by the bloke having a crack at "God Save The Queen" on a violin. I found Kimberley's vocals a bit shouty and shrill a lot of the time, and Reid & Neil (I've no idea which was which) seemed more like backing musicians a lot of the time rather than bandmates. That said, I like "If I Die Young" and thought they performed that very well.

RASCAL FLATTS: Confession time - Gary LeVox gets right on my tits. I'm not sure quite what it is about him, but I just don't like him. Certainly a very talented singer though, as are the others - their harmonies on "Bless The Broken Road" were stunning, and overall they did a good job of doing what they were there for - to get the crowd in the right mood for the main event.

On the subject of which....

BRAD PAISLEY: Going in, Brad was my sure thing. The one act I thought I could 100% rely on to deliver a stunning show - as usual, I was not disappointed in any way, shape or form. I was on my feet from "Southern Comfort Zone" to "Alcohol" and loved every single second of it. The William Shatner bit to "Warp Speed" was very funny, and the tribute to George Jones at the end of "This Is Country Music" was just pure class. Brad is a brilliant live performer and one of only two in the world (Springsteen is the other) who I would bend over backwards to see, come hell or high water, any time they visit the UK. If I had to nitpick it would only be to say that I'd have liked to hear "Celebrity" or "Welcome To The Future", but then again I love so many of Brad's songs that I'm highly unlikely to ever get every single song I love in the same set. Overall, a superb end to a brilliant weekend of music.

Roll on 2015. :thumbsup:

Good review. My view is above.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bob Harris's Country Show on Radio 2 at 19:00 tonight will have highlights from the Saturday shows if anyone fancies a listen.

Sunday's highlights will be on next week's show at the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here