Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Akpom

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The main thing Akpom has done is push Baldock to up his game.

I agree that Akpom hasn't had much of a chance but that's the nature of the beast in his position. With Wenger potentially leaving at the end of the season his career is at a crossroads. He needs to make an impression and do it fast.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:facepalm:

We're chasing promotion to the PL, Baldock doesn't need a bigger incentive than that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
:facepalm:

We're chasing promotion to the PL, Baldock doesn't need a bigger incentive than that.

why the face palm? We were chasing promotion the whole of last season and Baldock was mediocre then. His place has come under threat and he's upped his game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why the face palm?
Because suggesting he's upped his game because of Akpom is stupid.
We were chasing promotion the whole of last season and Baldock was mediocre then.
No he wasn't. When Baldock plays, we do well.
His place has come under threat and he's upped his game.
His place isn't under threat, Akpom is not yet good enough. He's played well all season, just had a few weeks off (and we've struggled) and now he's back and we're winning again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Because suggesting he's upped his game because of Akpom is stupid.
No he wasn't. When Baldock plays, we do well.
His place isn't under threat, Akpom is not yet good enough. He's played well all season, just had a few weeks off (and we've struggled) and now he's back and we're winning again.

Baldock scored only 4 goals in 33 matches last season including none in the big matches at the end of the season. That was a big reason why we didn't go up - he underperformed, but he had no nippy forward breathing down his neck for a place in the team. Hughton now has that option if he wants it. Competition for places keeps players on their toes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Baldock scored only 4 goals in 33 matches last season including none in the big matches at the end of the season. That was a big reason why we didn't go up - he underperformed
No, his performances were a big reason why we had our best finish in a generation. Our side has improved further since then, and the forwards are benefiting. Murray ran the opposition ragged today, which helped Baldock get space, and Knockaert also helps with the assists - he wasn't with us all of last season.

Hughton now has that option if he wants it. Competition for places keeps players on their toes.
Competition is good, but Akpom's arrival is not what's helped Sam. It just isn't.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

That would be the case with some players but Sam is the type to play to his maximum every game. That's not to say he's always brilliant

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Bearing in mind the way our away games have started recently, I'd actually start Akpom as the lone forward in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Sidwell sitting behind Stephens and Kayal or Norwood. We simply have to be more solid. Starting the second half two goals down isn't the way forward. Tell Akpom to run himself into the ground and tire out their central defenders then bring on Murray and Baldock on the hour.

Don't think there's much chance of that happening.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I rescind my earlier opinion that he should be given a chance and looks half reasonable in his cameos. A lazier player I am struggling to remember seeing, hope we send him back to Arsenal. Absolute disgrace today for his lack of effort.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I rescind my earlier opinion that he should be given a chance and looks half reasonable in his cameos. A lazier player I am struggling to remember seeing, hope we send him back to Arsenal. Absolute disgrace today for his lack of effort.

Know what you mean, I thought he'd relish the chance today, but just didn't turn up.

To think I was pleased when he signed, still I felt the same way about CMS........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a very raw player but I think there is talent there. Touch let him down a few times today otherwise he would have contributed.

Our pressure situation of having to get vital points means it's the wrong time for him to work on that rawness. Thankfully Murray is still rescuing the club's failure to get the right striker in January

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here