Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That was my first thought too - then I thought, 'No, I couldn't give a ****!

If anything,the whole thread-including added threads has probably a 50/50 split,or was that 52/48.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This would run contrary to the forthcoming speech by Mrs May according to JC Footy Genius as we are not going to be subject to the ECJ. Therefore this will be undemocratic and dangerous and leavers won't accept as out is out.

Rather than looking for this being turned into a negative perhaps you should be asking if this is acceptable for leavers and why.

And where does it say in that Guardian article that we would still be under the jurisdiction of the European court? Anyone would think some people are trying to deflect from the welcome news that behind closed doors the EU look more likely to be adopt a position which is far less hardline than some of the public politicking suggests and readily swallowed and repeated by some Remainers on this thread.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And as if by magic, there they are, both posts pre-empting the deal with all sorts of assumptions based on what we have now and spinning against it vigorously. It's bizarre but I genuinely believe there are people out there who want these Brexit negotiations to fail (spoiler alert - they won't) just so they can have a pyrrhic victory in these debates.

The EU banks need access to the City, the City needs access to the EU banks regardless of whether we are in the single market or not (and my personal opinion is that it is becoming clear that we will not be in the single market) so a deal will be struck that is acceptable to both sides that respects both parties' sovereignty, financial institutions and laws. If there is one thing that is becoming increasingly clear from that article is that there are politicians outside the negotiations huffing, puffing and posturing whilst inside where the real work is being done, there appears to be sensible debate, realism and give and take on both sides.

It would be helpful if you read and understood what had been posted before jumping in with your biased comments. I have not stated that I am against such a deal if this happens. Indeed any deal that allows the whole of the financial sector to continue as they currently do I am in favour of.
I was merely stating that you may find leavers not so in favour if there is still a level of control from the EU.
Just as one example to help you out.
Would the UK have to fully adopt the Vnuk decision under this type of post Brexit or not. If yes how does that fit with the sovereignty position.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
:lolol: that's why i love this thread....you and a special mention to [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION] have made me laugh so much this morning...

I agree - 2Prof's slice at me wasn't bad at all.

It's good when he tries a joke - almost funnier than when he rants that the mods are involved in some sort of conspiracy to silence the brave Brexit boys from telling the truth.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Surely he was just noting that there are more Brexiters than Remainers contributing to this thread, and that this is a reversal of the Leave/Remain numbers on the NSC polls?

Maybe in the latter stages of the thread,many of the original Remain in the early threads have accepted the result or in part,or stopped contributing altogether...leaving us with the dregs or was that the cream,i'd say the cream to be fair.

Where is [MENTION=25549]5ways[/MENTION] [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] or [MENTION=17963]Hampster Gull[/MENTION] ALL Remain big guns-appologies if i have not mentioned others

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And where does it say in that Guardian article that we would still be under the jurisdiction of the European court? Anyone would think some people are trying to deflect from the welcome news that behind closed doors the EU look more likely to be adopt a position which is far less hardline than some of the public politicking suggests and readily swallowed and repeated by some Remainers on this thread.

Last 5 paragraphs

And as I have stated I'm not against this potential deal. I just find it strange that it doesn't fit the out is out leave position.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It would be helpful if you read and understood what had been posted before jumping in with your biased comments. I have not stated that I am against such a deal if this happens. Indeed any deal that allows the whole of the financial sector to continue as they currently do.
I was merely stating that you may find leavers not so in favour if there is still a level of control from the EU.
Just as one example to help you out.
Would the UK have to fully adopt the Vnuk decision under this type of post Brexit or not. If yes has does that fit with the sovereignty position.

Me biased? What, as opposed to your neutral stance? I've not jumped in anywhere. Go back and re-read your post and you will see you have made all sorts of assumptions and ran with them in an attempt to make this latest piece of news look like it's bad news for Brexit.

It's no good asking me what will and won't be in the deal as, and I'm surprised that I have to keep repeating the obvious, we won't know the details of what has been decided until it's been decided. What we can take from this though is that whilst both sides have strong hands to play, the negotiators appear to be working towards a mutually beneficial solution despite the dogma of politicians playing to the gallery and others who are keen to tell us why this solution of which they know no details won't be acceptable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Me biased? What, as opposed to your neutral stance? I've not jumped in anywhere. Go back and re-read your post and you will see you have made all sorts of assumptions and ran with them in an attempt to make this latest piece of news look like it's bad news for Brexit.

It's no good asking me what will and won't be in the deal as, and I'm surprised that I have to keep repeating the obvious, we won't know the details of what has been decided until it's been decided. What we can take from this though is that whilst both sides have strong hands to play, the negotiators appear to be working towards a mutually beneficial solution despite the dogma of politicians playing to the gallery and others who are keen to tell us why this solution of which they know no details won't be acceptable.

Welcome to the [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] world of not answering questions and using the its in the future defence
On the basis that we are 2 years and 2 months away from knowing the detail perhaps you will refrain from posting on this thread until April 2019 as you have nothing to contribute

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Last 5 paragraphs

And as I have stated I'm not against this potential deal. I just find it strange that it doesn't fit the out is out leave position.

The last 5 paragraphs? You mean these bits:

He made clear that the UK would have to follow EU law if it wished to remain a member of the single market during the transition period.

Elmar Brok, the German centre-right chair of the foreign affairs committee, reportedly voiced concern the UK would become “a Trojan horse of the US” – echoing fears that date back to the time of Charles de Gaulle.....Werner Langen, a German centre-right MEP who is leading the investigation into the Panama Papers, wants to ensure the UK accepts international rules to clamp down on tax avoidance. Some EU politicians are worried the UK will embark on “a race to the bottom”, by slashing corporate taxes, to compensate for Brexit.....Barnier, however, said he expected the UK to stick to existing commitments to enact more than three dozen laws to combat money laundering and tax avoidance.

Blimey, that's quite a huge leap from reading those comments to concluding:

This would run contrary to the forthcoming speech by Mrs May according to JC Footy Genius as we are not going to be subject to the ECJ. Therefore this will be undemocratic and dangerous and leavers won't accept as out is out

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surely he was just noting that there are more Brexiters than Remainers contributing to this thread, and that this is a reversal of the Leave/Remain numbers on the NSC polls?

Thought it was us Brexiteers that couldn't count!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Last 5 paragraphs

The last section only refers to a supposed transition period where we would still be in the Single/internal market. So suggesting the EU wanting a post-Brexit special access deal to the City being incompatible with (the reports of) PM May's pledge is utter nonsense then.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Welcome to the [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] world of not answering questions and using the its in the future defence
On the basis that we are 2 years and 2 months away from knowing the detail perhaps you will refrain from posting on this thread until April 2019 as you have nothing to contribute

Eh? You are specifically asking me whether the UK will adopt a specific position and I have answered that I don't know. That IS answering the question - I don't know, you don't know, the EU and UK negotiators don't know.

And if you don't like me posting in this thread then you have a couple of options open to you, either block me so you don't see them, you can find an online echo chamber where only your world view is expressed and your dismal predictions are never challenged or you can just suck it up.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The last section only refers to a supposed transition period where we would still be in the Single/internal market. So suggesting the EU wanting a post-Brexit special access deal to the City being incompatible with (the reports of) PM May's pledge is utter nonsense then.

We shall see

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Eh? You are specifically asking me whether the UK will adopt a specific position and I have answered that I don't know. That IS answering the question - I don't know, you don't know, the EU and UK negotiators don't know.

And if you don't like me posting in this thread then you have a couple of options open to you, either block me so you don't see them, you can find an online echo chamber where only your world view is expressed and your dismal predictions are never challenged or you can just suck it up.

:shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here