Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Me too, signals that Scotland would be welcomed in to the E.U. if they split, that performance and reaction will certainly embolden Scots thinking of separating from the U.K.

I don't know why anyone is getting excited about Scotland wanting to split from us. Sturgeon was elected a month ago (I believe) on a mandate to keep Scotland in the EU if we voted to leave as a union. We've voted to leave, so she's doing exactly what she's said she'd do in that mandate, and good on her for doing it. She's showing strong leadership for her country.

Surely we haven't got to a stage where we live in a world of people bashing politicians for lying constantly, and heaven forbid ours have lied throughout the referendum campaigns on both sides, and then criticising an elected official for doing the main thing she's been elected into office for.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, I think he is hilarious.
At the Dome in a few weeks I think.
I didn't say it was offensive :shrug:
Hamilton said it wasn't acceptable. Reading the posts on here I was expecting much worse. This is Farage we're talking about, I watched the clip waiting to be outraged, and I just wasn't.

He didn't do us any favours.
No I'm sure he didn't.
Have you applied for a visa?
:lol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I run a small business as well. My partners and I employ 65 people. I have never encountered this mythical EU beast that has stopped me doing business inside the UK or across Europe. It is a blooming myth. Leavers, you were lied to on that front.

Surely it depends what business you're in?

The whole problem with generalising each side in this debate is that everyone has different reasons for voting the way they did. As you say it's complex, but it's also completely subjective.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Me too, signals that Scotland would be welcomed in to the E.U. if they split, that performance and reaction will certainly embolden Scots thinking of separating from the U.K.

Sturgeon sees the EU as her only hope of Scotland being able to afford gaining its independence. Scotland simply could not support itself without central government funding even if it managed to keep North Sea Oil & Gas for itself which she seems to simplistically think belongs to Scotland due to the fact its in the North Sea and many of the Oil service industry is based in Scotland, It doesn't mean the Oil & Gas is yours Nicola! She now sees a lifeline with the EU part of her plan to support Scotland financially to offset the loss of central government funding, she's an unelected spiteful single issue twot. I pray to God they have another referendum north of the border and finally bugger off to sink in a mire of economic gloom when they realise they can't pay their bills without the rest of the UK supporting them.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Surely it depends what business you're in?

The whole problem with generalising each side in this debate is that everyone has different reasons for voting the way they did. As you say it's complex, but it's also completely subjective.

Totally agree.

For many businesses complaining about EU regulations, they will still have to observe them if they want to sell into Europe.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I know nothing about you. Do you believe that the rest of the population possessed enough critical and analytical thinking? Enough to understand all the macro-economics at play? Do you?

It's the duty of government to listen and then enact policy that is in the interests of the population. It's not the duty or responsibility of government to just do what the public says, and it isn't wise. Many people do lack the credible skills to make the right decisions. I'm not sure I could do it and I'm fairly well educated.

Wow,you really are a fascist of the 'Elite Classes',aren't you.In a democracy,a government is elected to do what the public says it should do.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't know why anyone is getting excited about Scotland wanting to split from us. Sturgeon was elected a month ago (I believe) on a mandate to keep Scotland in the EU if we voted to leave as a union. We've voted to leave, so she's doing exactly what she's said she'd do in that mandate, and good on her for doing it. She's showing strong leadership for her country.

Surely we haven't got to a stage where we live in a world of people bashing politicians for lying constantly, and heaven forbid ours have lied throughout the referendum campaigns on both sides, and then criticising an elected official for doing the main thing she's been elected into office for.

I think you misunderstand me, I am upset that English votes have sent us heading down a path that could lead this to happen, not Sturgeon doing it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why are you withdrawing the vote from old people and sun-readers?

Or are you deliberately mistaking the observation that this issue is incredibly complex and had many people saying they did not understand it right up until polling day with another false claim. You Leavers love telling lies.

That's the only good thing to come out of this. I reckon many of the leave camp will be unelectable. The £350m is to Boris what Universities are to Clegg.

Give it a ****ing rest.

How long are you going to continue with your classification of 'remainers' and 'leavers'? Or is it just 'leavers', the rest are the sensible ones with views you share? The referendum is over.

First us 'leavers' were lied to, now we are the liars. It's a real struggle to sieve through your dissentient shite.

Whatever the result of the referendum I am almost entirely sure I would accept and move forward. You on the other hand, are here almost a week later flying the flag of divisiveness once more.

I sympathise that it may be difficult for you to try and agree on a best approach toward what you think is a wrong move, perhaps it needs more time. But don't for one second thing that there is some kind of legitimacy in 'leavers' changing their minds because camp fear feels vindicated over forecasts. I voted knowing we would take a short-term economical hit, most don't even realise we still haven't even recovered from 2008. The pound has stagnated and plateaued since then and people view this is a good status quo to campaign and vote on? It's almost comical hearing people claim we have taken a hit from a position of strength.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At the Dome in a few weeks I think.

I've booked in advance.

Hamilton said it wasn't acceptable. Reading the posts on here I was expecting much worse. This is Farage we're talking about, I watched the clip waiting to be outraged, and I just wasn't.

It was cringeworthy. Another thing he said was: "17 years ago you all laughed at me, who's laughing now" It seems that his mission was more about his personal pride than leaving the EU. It was embarrassingly child like.

I think he is entertaining, but I certainly don't trust him. He fills a gap in the market and does very well for himself because of it.

He's got it easy, he hasn't even got to do any work on the Brexit plan, his job is moaning about the Brexit plan when we have one. You wait and see :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It was cringeworthy. Another thing he said was: "17 years ago you all laughed at me, who's laughing now" It seems that his mission was more about his personal pride than leaving the EU. It was embarrassingly child like.

I'm no great lover of the man, but he has been systematically and politically shat on for two decades, awash with false accusations and in all honesty all he was doing was campaigning for something he believed in, shared by many, with some conviction.

Still no excuse, he's certainly no saint, he's not even an MP, but you can see why he might stoop to that level when the tables turned.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
She's already been discussing the options. She said that we couldn't have free access to the single market without the free movement of people, capital and goods.

We'll see shall we.

It is palpably NOT a negotiation to state a political viewpoint :nono:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm no great lover of the man, but he has been systematically and politically shat on for two decades, awash with false accusations and in all honesty all he was doing was campaigning for something he believed in, shared by many, with some conviction.

Still no excuse, he's certainly no saint, he's not even an MP, but you can see why he might stoop to that level when the tables turned.

It's a freakshow to be honest and I cannot take these people seriously even if sometimes I agree with them.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
United Kingdom’s Top Import Partners. JUNE 22, 2016

Angela Merkel must be nervous to any outcome.

United States: US$66.5 billion (14.5% of total UK exports)
Germany: $46.4 billion (10.1%)
Switzerland: $32.2 billion (7%)
China: $27.4 billion (5.9%)
France: $27 billion (5.9%)
Netherlands: $26.6 billion (5.8%)
Ireland: $25.5 billion (5.5%)
Belgium: $17.8 billion (3.9%)
Spain: $13.1 billion (2.8%)
Italy: $12.9 billion (2.8%)
United Arab Emirates: $10.3 billion (2.2%)
Hong Kong: $9.6 billion (2.1%)
South Korea: $7 billion (1.5%)
Saudi Arabia: $6.7 billion (1.5%)
Sweden: $6.6 billion (1.4%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-exports/

That's what we sell to Germany, we import

United States: US$127.2 billion (9.6% of total many exports)
France: $114.3 billion (8.6%)
United Kingdom: $98.7 billion (7.4%)
Netherlands: $81.9 billion (6.2%)
China: $79.7 billion (6.0%)

Don't think Germany will be slapping tariffs on us anytime soon! We import more than double than what we export to them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I run a small business as well. My partners and I employ 65 people. I have never encountered this mythical EU beast that has stopped me doing business inside the UK or across Europe. It is a blooming myth. Leavers, you were lied to on that front.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

I heard plenty of small business owners during the course of the debate who don’t trade with the EU, moaning with regards to EU red tape and how they find it stifling to their business and often an unwanted burden, never stopped though
Those that trade with the EU complain about this too.

Remember that gov report on the negativity of EU red tape?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...u-red-tape-report-from-the-business-taskforce

I didn’t hear anyone however say The EU stopped them doing business here or abroad, I don’t think I have ever heard anyone say The EU has stopped them doing business,stiffled maybe but not stopped.
You clearly have.......apparently.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Cameron talked with Merkel on Sunday, he is talking with her again today. It may not be "negotiations" but it is certainly discussion about what happens next and how to come t an agreement.

No. No it is not a negotiation nor will it be.
Merely will say that there can be no negotiation until Article 50 is activated. Cameron will say he is leaving that to his successor.
Both will agree that until that time we remain full members with full obligations and benefits. End of discussion.
It is in no way a negotiation no matter how hard you grab at straws

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Totally agree.

For many businesses complaining about EU regulations, they will still have to observe them if they want to sell into Europe.(

This is something that has puzzled me for some time. What exactly are all these regulations that the EU 'impose' that damages our businesses? I've never really worked it out.

Last week one chap on telly said that he was suffering directly because the company he worked for was being forced to implement an EU regulation - and rather than do that it was shutting the factory here and moving to Poland. The interviewer didn't follow-up with the obvious question of how come the factory in Poland won't have to implement the same regulation, as it will be in the EU?

Pig breeders in the UK have had a tough time I know, because we have implemented the regulations agreed through the EU, whereas other countries have just ignored them. But surely, the fact that our animal welfare has been raised is a good thing rather than a bad thing?

I know the fisherman have been particularly aggrieved, but then again, it was Europe wide cod quotas that have enabled stocks to recover.

And so on.

So, serious question, what regulations have we had from the EU that have disadvantaged us and our businesses?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I voted knowing we would take a short-term economical hit, most don't even realise we still haven't even recovered from 2008. The pound has stagnated and plateaued since then and people view this is a good status quo to campaign and vote on? It's almost comical hearing people claim we have taken a hit from a position of strength.

In what sense have we not recovered since 2008? FTSE has increased by nearly 2000 points since then (http://swanlowpark.co.uk/ftseannual.jsp). The pound has certainly stagnated at or around 1.75 to the Dollar but is currently trading at about 1.31 - about a 25% drop. House prices have rocketed, inflation and interest rates have stagnated, unemployment is back to pre-2008 levels (but probably with crapper, zero hours contract jobs). So it is arguable that we have recovered - ask a banker and we have, ask a steel worker and we have not. That's the truly interesting thing about this referendum. People who understand the impact are also those likely to be better off if we stayed in. Can't think many Tata Steel workers had Remain posters.

None of this devalues [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]'s points though. Voting against something you dislike but don't fully understand is perfectly acceptable in a democracy and the result should be accepted but it doesn't make it a sensible course of action financially.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No. No it is not a negotiation nor will it be.
Merely will say that there can be no negotiation until Article 50 is activated. Cameron will say he is leaving that to his successor.
Both will agree that until that time we remain full members with full obligations and benefits. End of discussion.
It is in no way a negotiation no matter how hard you grab at straws

Yep, Cameron just went to Brussels to say sorry and goodbye.

The only discussion will be between EU members to come up with their Brexit plan for us and set the agenda's in advance. Meanwhile we will be flapping about for the next three months before the new PM will start on our Brexit plan.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's what we sell to Germany, we import

United States: US$127.2 billion (9.6% of total many exports)
France: $114.3 billion (8.6%)
United Kingdom: $98.7 billion (7.4%)
Netherlands: $81.9 billion (6.2%)
China: $79.7 billion (6.0%)

Don't think Germany will be slapping tariffs on us anytime soon! We import more than double than what we export to them.

If we are not in the E.U. and do not have an agreement with the E.U., they will have to have Tarriffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here