Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Whitehawk still want to change their name

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How much has the club spent promoting our name. Would ASDA allow you open a grocery shop and call it ASDA Mini Market. Of course they wouldnt as it capitalises on their name and gives the impression of a connection between the two.

singhsburys.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brighton Whitehawk(s) works.

No need to claim Hove by using the City name.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Everton don't do too badly, being a district of Scouseland.

or all of the London clubs, Aston Villa, the Glasgow and Edinburgh clubs, all seem to do OK with out the name of the town. it really doesnt make a jot of difference to the local fans and away fans will find their way. overseas? good luck to them having that issue, changing their name wont make that any more likely.

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
Each to their own but personally I'm against them using the name Brighton.

1 - Most other league clubs where town or city's share a place name have done so since the leagues inception so it's the norm
2 - BHA has battled hard to survive harder than most, why should another club pop along and suddenly be allowed to include Brighton it it's name?
3 -There has traditionally only ever been one pro club in Brighton and thats a big selling point to the Albion and something which has made the club fairly unique
4 - wheres their fan base? why would anyone start watching them even if they made it into the league that are not already following the Albion?

I can hardly believe some of the so called Albion fans on here are pointing out they are in the city and we are not, have they missed the last 20 years or something for F#$K sake!!!
Keep the name Whitehawk and build on your own tradition and history with your 250 fans. I'm all for football at every level but some of the swipes towards the Albion have been out of order. We have grown into a commercial club as thats what success ultimately leads to, especially if you want to progress. If Whitehawk have any ambition they to will have to follow this path.

BUT lets have a reality check, what at the very most can Whitehawk achieve with that name or any other?

I'll be honest, in reading that my view is that Naylor didn't come up with the emergency services angle...

Agreed. Fairly sure this was something that was brought up when their original name change request was turned down, so that's unlikely to have changed between now and then.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'll be honest, in reading that my view is that Naylor didn't come up with the emergency services angle...

I wonder how many times emergency services have gone to the wrong one of Cambridge United and Cambridge City.

Agreed. Fairly sure this was something that was brought up when their original name change request was turned down, so that's unlikely to have changed between now and then.

[MENTION=7142]Vatican Citys No.2 Keeper[/MENTION] is correct. It was an issue more than two years ago - Whitehawk FC

As posted in the linked thread back on August 21 2013:-

I think the emergency services suggest a concern that Brighton and Hove Albion FC is often referred to as just Brighton, so an emergency call out for 'major incident at Brighton Football' or whatever could result in confusion if there was Brighton City as well.

While this is clearly established in other cities such as Manchester, Sheffield etc. they are historic and well known, whereas because this is a new entity with a much smaller club versus a larger one, the confusion could happen.

I don't know if this was a concern raised by the emergency services themselves, or by Albion?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
[MENTION=7142]I don't know if this was a concern raised by the emergency services themselves, or by Albion?
It doesn't really matter, does it? It's a legitimate concern.

They're Whitehawk ffs. Just take pride in it! Forest Green Rovers tried changing their name. After a couple of seasons they recognised it as a disastrous move, and changed it back. Now they're knocking on the door of League 2. The only village team to ever aspire so high! Perhaps it would be good if a housing estate team joined them - but not if they p1ss about trying to rebrand themselves as something they are not.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
It doesn't really matter, does it? It's a legitimate concern.

They're Whitehawk ffs. Just take pride in it! Forest Green Rovers tried changing their name. After a couple of seasons they recognised it as a disastrous move, and changed it back. Now they're knocking on the door of League 2. The only village team to ever aspire so high! Perhaps it would be good if a housing estate team joined them - but not if they p1ss about trying to rebrand themselves as something they are not.

Need better signage than Forest Green though...more than that brown 'FGRFC' sign and a football in Nailsworth high Street! (that was back in 2006 - presumably its a bit better now!)

withdean62

Aug 20, 2008
total network solutions is actually Oswestry, in shropshire, believe it or not!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
total network solutions is actually Oswestry, in shropshire, believe it or not!!

They sold to BT 10 years ago ! I used to work with them. The CEO was a lovely bloke, used to give one of his sports cars to sales person of the month for a weekend

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I wonder how many people are not sure which one of these two teams is in the Premier League or in the Wessex League: AFC Bournemouth or Bournemouth FC.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't know what Whitehawk are moaning at. They have an identify and brand and now want to change it as they move up the leagues. If I was a fan and my chairman was trying to change my club name I would be fuming

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here