Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I think you'll find they were 2 regulation saves every keeper would expect to make.

The one where he spread himself was maybe a regulation save, but the pen was well struck and heading towards the corner so I think maybe he should be given some credit.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
And not forgetting the saves whereas he pushes the shots back out instead of pushing them out for a corner. We could be here all night discussing his faults instead of his strengths as he has none. What worry's me is Houghton comments when he said that he wouldn't ever drop Stockdale and that is scary.

You're right. No manager should say that about any player.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Stockdale contract is 3 years so no premiership football then. Wow, he saved a penalty so now is a world class keeper. He's so shocking it's unreal, he's cost us at least 12 pts. Law of averages says he'll have a good game or two but Jesus, the man is a clown and we paid over £1m for him.

He's best calamity moments are yet to come and someone should tell him the game doesn't start after conceding after their first shot on target and how many has he let in after the first shot, I've lost count now.
I'm sorry, so just to clarify, "law of averages" says he'll have the odd good game...so when he plays well he doesn't deserve praise? And what specifically makes it not the case that "the law of averages" says he'll make the odd mistake?

You can think he's great or not very good, that's your opinion either way - but don't be a hypocrite about it. If he plays well he should get credit, and if he plays badly he should get criticism. But you can't have it both ways and twist good moments around to still try and beat him with your rather one-way stick.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He also made a massive clanger today, instead of catching a long shot, he punches it strait to a bham player in the centre of the box.
Luckily there player shot high and over cos should of scoref
Sorry that's bollocks if you are taking about the first half. The shot took a small deflection from a defenders head and he had to adjust quickly to save it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Stockdale contract is 3 years so no premiership football then. Wow, he saved a penalty so now is a world class keeper. He's so shocking it's unreal, he's cost us at least 12 pts. Law of averages says he'll have a good game or two but Jesus, the man is a clown and we paid over £1m for him.

He's best calamity moments are yet to come and someone should tell him the game doesn't start after conceding after their first shot on target and how many has he let in after the first shot, I've lost count now.
Cost us 12 you say well he has more or less come out even now then.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He also made a massive clanger today, instead of catching a long shot, he punches it strait to a bham player in the centre of the box.

A massive clanger, it was a good save. not sure what else he could have done with it

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
He changed the game today. I think he's the best we've had at The Amex but there's still much work to do before we are safe. Christ on a bike our defence is scary. I'd have given Stockdale MOM, or Calde for his goals although first half he was pants. Missed a sitter with his left foot.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I think you'll find they were 2 regulation saves every keeper would expect to make.

He saved a one on one by coming off his line quickly. Not regulation.

& saved a penalty. As we all know. It is standard to save a penalty. Only useless keepers let penalties in (& it wasn't even a bad penalty)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The one where he spread himself was maybe a regulation save, but the pen was well struck and heading towards the corner so I think maybe he should be given some credit.

He saved a one on one by coming off his line quickly. Not regulation.

& saved a penalty. As we all know. It is standard to save a penalty. Only useless keepers let penalties in (& it wasn't even a bad penalty)
My mistake I was under the impression every save Stockdale makes was regulation, and every error was schoolboy.

Is that not the case?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

The first goal which took a massive deflection off their forward and went in the opposite direction from the original shot?
Who could save that? - Billy the fish but thats about it.

Also, why wasn't the guy from outside the box prevented from having an angle to shoot at goal by our outfield players? he probably shouldn't have had that much room to even be able to pull the trigger but i guess it's far easier for some to scapegoat the keeper.

The law of averages? - By the law of averages, even the worlds top keeper will make mistakes that may cost the team points (it can depend on whether the rest of the team can score more to make up for it, and the same applies here but if a team doesn't, is it all the keepers fault they lose / draw?)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Swerving ball, you see a lot of top keepers doing the same. Better just to stop it first and foremost, and if possible then try to make sur it goes out into a safe area when you do save it. (seeing it late, sudden movement, etc make this hard so a lot of keepers will just make sure it doesn't go in above all else)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
He also made a massive clanger today, instead of catching a long shot, he punches it straight to a B'ham player in the centre of the box.
Luckily their player shot high and over 'cos should of scored

Not for me. Swerving ball etc etc and dealt with it well. Changed the outcome of the game with the excellent penalty save imho..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Got ya.

Soz - I didn't get it :wrong:
I only knew he was joking because of his previous comments on the subject, it wasn't exactly obvious.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The fact that there are some slating a player who made sure a 4-3 win wasn't a 5-4 loss defies belief. Sure Stocko has made mistakes but full credit for what he did today. Bloody brilliant saves :clap2:

Can anyone think who was the last Albion keeper to save a penalty?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Penalty save and another brilliant save in the first half, excellent game today

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The fact that there are some slating a player who made sure a 4-3 win wasn't a 5-4 loss defies belief. Sure Stocko has made mistakes but full credit for what he did today. Bloody brilliant saves :clap2:

Can anyone think who was the last Albion keeper to save a penalty?

Totally this, and wasn't a soft shot either. It was travelling, and right on half-time would have been a different game. A season turning point?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here