Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus getting 'Fed up'

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Although a poor result today for them, Sunderland taking 5 points from their fixtures over Christmas is not a disaster and I doubt they would have achieved that haul under Di Canio in those fixtures.

What I meant JoeinB was that his personality is letting him down.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What I meant JoeinB was that his personality is letting him down.

Compared to his predecessor at Sunderland, Gus Poyet's personality is exemplary. He doesn't know when to button its lip sure, but neither did Di Canio. The difference is that Poyet has had the players buy into what he is doing so far.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I notice the goal conceded yesterday against Villa was reminisecent of the one we conceded against West Ham two seasons ago, Players just to frightened to play the ball up the field from defence when in difficulty and passing it to a man who can be challenged and then score. The goal conceded yesterday was directly down to the Poyet style of play, he is playing a strategy that is easily undone.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I love this response to an 'I'm still on the Gus bus' statement:

I'm still on the Gus bus like*Me too. It drives round and round but never reaches it's destination

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus's record at Sunderland.

Played 13
Won 5
Drawn 3
Lost 5

Wins against, Chelsea, Everton and Newcastle.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
much as I loved Poyet , when hes not your manager he does come across as a bit of a clueless chimp

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Gus's record at Sunderland.

Played 11
Won 5
Drawn 1
Lost 5

Wins against, Chelsea, Everton and Newcastle.

Says it all. That's a great record for a struggling team.

People on here have very short memories. He is a great manager and he will keep Sunderland up.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not sure about this, as they've drawn at least three matches that I can recall just off the top of my head - Cardiff (a), Norwich (h) and Villa (a).

Also, two of the wins have been in the League Cup, which isn't really much use to their aim of staying in the EPL. I think it's fair to say Gus has improved Sunderland and they look a better team, but the simple fact is he needs to get 24+ points from their remaining 18 matches or he has a relegation on his CV.

Sorry

Should read played 13 won 5 drawn 3 lost 5.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry

Should read played 13 won 5 drawn 3 lost 5.

Keep passing it along the back four on the edge of your box until eventually Agbonglahor dispossesses your centre back and scores. THAT GOAL WAS A DIRECT OUTCOME OF POYETS STYLE. Sorry to say it but Poyet cost them the game yesterday in exactly the same fashion as we lost to West Ham at home two seasons ago.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
His EPL record is:

Played: 13
Won: 3
Drawn: 4
Lost: 6

So a point per game. That's not too bad bearing in mind he took over a team that had yet to win a game, but he's going to have to take at least 1.3 points per game for the rest of the season and their 9 away fixtures include Newcastle, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Man United. The maths just make it very hard to see him keeping them up.

3 wins 4 draws 5 defeats. 12 games 13 points, before
0 wins 1 draw 7 defeats. 8 games 1 point.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
At the end of the day, they may not be the worst team in the prem, but I don't see 3 teams worse than them, so there's really only one outcome. I don't see them doing enough decent business in Jan to change that.

It does put Gus in an awkward position though, he can't really afford to leave them. If he left them voluntarily before the summer, it would look v.bad, and if they are relegated it would look v.bad. Unless he can keep them up somehow, he's certainly not going to get another prem job unless he takes another championship team and gets them promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here