Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
[/B]

Is it really any wonder that a solution is so far away, when dogma takes over. So it is not at all about closing doors or job protection at all, rather RMT lefties battling the government, apparently intent on doing dreadful things to all unions. Well, as the expression goes, you live and learn. I just feel sorry for the guards who are presumably fearful for their jobs and being used by RMT in their crusade.

maybe you want to live in a Dictatorship, but I don't

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
those of the view this is some grand battle with government may have missed the fact that a) RMT advised thier members to accept new contracts and b) they are already rolling out the DOO on some lines. i really dont see what RMT seeks to achieve with the strikes since they've conceded, i can only imagine they seek to force some backpeddling from Southern on the details of terms. but the strategic cause of the dispute is over, they've already conceded, DOO is coming.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
maybe you want to live in a Dictatorship, but I don't

Isn't this sort of extreme nonsense precisely what I was talking about. I have lost count of the many industrial disputes over the years hijacked by extremists desperate to turn it into some sort of political battle. Sadly the original reasons for the dispute tend to get lost in all the bluster.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
those of the view this is some grand battle with government may have missed the fact that a) RMT advised thier members to accept new contracts and b) they are already rolling out the DOO on some lines. i really dont see what RMT seeks to achieve with the strikes since they've conceded, i can only imagine they seek to force some backpeddling from Southern on the details of terms. but the strategic cause of the dispute is over, they've already conceded, DOO is coming.

Nothing more than an attempt at face saving now. Shortly before the planned Xmas and NY strikes I fully expect a "with great reluctance, but as a gesture of goodwill, the planned industrial action has been cancelled" press release.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Nothing more than an attempt at face saving now. Shortly before the planned Xmas and NY strikes I fully expect a "with great reluctance, but as a gesture of goodwill, the planned industrial action has been cancelled" press release.

I thought this would happen with the bonfire night strike, but hasn't, but I agree this is the only way I can see for RMT to re-gain any moral high-ground they have lost by yesterdays announcement.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Isn't this sort of extreme nonsense precisely what I was talking about. I have lost count of the many industrial disputes over the years hijacked by extremists desperate to turn it into some sort of political battle. Sadly the original reasons for the dispute tend to get lost in all the bluster.

I'm not an extremist, but I take your point - thank you. BTW I'm so looking forward to trying to get to Hastings this afternoon by rail replacement bus from Eastbourne

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[/B] I just feel sorry for the guards who are presumably fearful for their jobs and being used by RMT in their crusade.

Aren't the RMT just doing exactly what it's whole raison d'etre is - fighting on behalf of it's members to try and protect them from being trampled on by a purely greed-driven employer? Where does 'used' come into it? ???

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Strike this morning.

I just shrugged my shoulders and got on the first train that took me up to London. Yes it was full, yes I was a bit later but I still made it and everyone at work knew where I was because they know where I live. I'll leave a bit earlier tonight to make sure I get home but no one has a problem with it.

Its what I've been doing for a few months now. Others will work from home, some will catch Thameslink from other stations, but commuters have now learnt to deal with the strikes one way or another. I would suspect the RMT is moving strikes to bank holidays and non commuting days because the train users on these days will be less immune to the problems and a more likely to create noise. The press will be all over it because there'll be loads of distressed people who won't be able to get "home" to see their families over Christmas.

Its one of the few cards the RMT has left to play. Unfortunately, commuting remains the bread and butter of the rail industry and the strikes are becoming less and less effective in that respect.

Keep striking Mick - but you're just not causing me problems anymore.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Is this really the best you can do? I appreciate that RMT's vindictive decision to target Xmas and New Year must be hard to justify, but really?

In all seriousness [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] could you attempt to explain this one for us please? I'd really like to continue to support the action but I'm struggling to work it out. To Southern and the government these are just yet more days. To your passengers they're some of the most important travel dates in the calendar. What are you trying to achieve?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Aren't the RMT just doing exactly what it's whole raison d'etre is - fighting on behalf of it's members to try and protect them from being trampled on by a purely greed-driven employer? Where does 'used' come into it? ???

That is true. A union is there to get the best deal for its members. As to whether it is being trampled on as you so graphically and conveniently put it, that is far more debatable. The only people being trampled on is the public. However, there does come a point in these bitter disputes when union militants revel in their power and try to widen them as a crusade against the government. Ever heard of a chap called Scargill?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here