Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A fairer system for the play-offs?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If we had won 2-0 last night would we even be having this discussion?
No, of course not.

We've been unlucky several times over at the end of this season, but that doesn't mean the rules were wrong. The situation could easily have been reversed if we were sure of a play-off place (and no chance of an automatic promotion place) two weeks ago, while Wednesday were scrapping every game. The understandable focus we had on automatic promotion has scuppered us somewhat - if we'd rested players and taken it easy for two weeks we might have been in peak form last night - but who would want to support a team that didn't bother fighting for automatic promotion?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Top 3 up automatically, then have a 4 team playoff 4th v 7th, 5th v 6th over 1 leg, highest placed team having home advantage,winners play each other neutral venue then the winners play team finishing 4th bottom of league above at Wembley.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Top 3 up automatically, then have a 4 team playoff 4th v 7th, 5th v 6th over 1 leg, highest placed team having home advantage,winners play each other neutral venue then the winners play team finishing 4th bottom of league above at Wembley.

Premier League clubs are never going to agree to 4 going down.

They hate the fact they lose 3 as it is, and would love to cut it to two.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The current system is fine. If it was changed who's to say we wouldn't fall apart and come up short in the new way? It's been a great season in many respects and it's still not over yet.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
the FA would never go for that as the team in 6th would effectively have no chance most seasons, they and the neutrals like the cup comp knockout scenario and it would disingenuous of us to complain now when we scraped into 6th in injury time 2 seasons ago.

what i do think would be fairer and easier to administer, is to keep the current 3rd/4th team having home advantage second but also to add (similar to away goals rule), the teams finishing 5th/6th would have to beat the teams in 3rd/4th to go to wembley. If its level after 180 minutes the team in 3rd/4th would go through. Which would make league standings count and really make everyone go for it to get into 3rd/4th. i.e if it finished 2-0 to us on Monday and all square after 180 mins it wouldnt be ET, we'd go through on superior league position. likewise when we finished 6th, we would have needed to actually beat the team in 3rd and a draw over 2 legs would put us out.

Excellent - one more person recognising the only common sense and fair solution - it keeps all the perceived benefits of the play offs (more teams involved, and thus bigger crowds, for a greater part of the season, plus revenue generated from play off matches themselves, but just weighted in favour of the higher placed teams.

Yes, keep the format the same, except that the lower placed teams actually have to WIN to overturn the league positions. :thumbsup:

Far simpler, better and fairer than some of the daft proposals put forward on the numerous 're-arrange the play 0ff' threads.

Edit: I see some of those same daft ideas have appeared on here too!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I liked the old playoff system in Rugby League.

It went something like this.

Third plays fourth with the third place team at home. Winner goes to final.

Fifth plays sixth with the fifth at home. Winner plays at loser of match 1 for the other spot in final.

Winner of final wins the play off.

Burnleylad

May 2, 2014
I liked the old playoff system in Rugby League.

It went something like this.

Third plays fourth with the third place team at home. Winner goes to final.

Fifth plays sixth with the fifth at home. Winner plays at loser of match 1 for the other spot in final.

Winner of final wins the play off.

Something similar to that but 5th shouldn't have home advantage while 4th plays away, gives 5th better chance of getting to final.

Both semis should be over one match same as the final.

3rd plays 6th with home advantage

4th plays 5th with home advantage

Extra 30 mins then penalty shoot out if still level.

This way the higher you finish the better your chances in the play offs.

Last edited:

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
How about this. One goal start for every 5 point difference in the final table. Therefore we should have had a 3 goal start which gives some reward for the league position.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How about this. One goal start for every 5 point difference in the final table. Therefore we should have had a 3 goal start which gives some reward for the league position.
No, no, a thousand times no! Goals must only be scored, never just added to give one team a start.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The play-offs are fine as they are. All you need is for referees to administer the laws of the game correctly but when they get it wrong, the FA to correct mistakes.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have to admit you had some rotten luck last night with injuries. I thought it was going to be your night when Wednesdays first goal was ruled offside but you never really had a chance to get into then game.

The unjustified red card for Stephens seems like a double whammy now. Sidwell didn't look fit enough to play with all that strapping but the change was forced on you by the situation.

At least things can only get better for you, maybe your luck will change with an early goal on Monday. If we can go 23 games unbeaten with a shite team (according to some of your more aggressive posters) then you can overturn a 2 goal deficit. I thought Rosenior was tremendous when he came on last night, The rest of the team need to follow is positiveness and effort for you to have a chance.

I'll be watching with interest again on Monday, just remember all supporters of rival teams are not on here to gloat or slag you off. Good luck on Monday, I just hope it's a good game of football.

Football is all about drama and we have had bucket loads since we drew 1-1 against Derby with 10 men. Just hope that the drama is in our favour on Monday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We need the play-offs as for most clubs the season gets tedious otherwise. Best suggestion I've heard to revamp things is far simpler than all of the different formats. Make the 4th, 5th and 6th clubs fight for the right to a play-off. In other words, set a threshold beyond which the 3rd placed club can still gain automatic promotion. If it was, say, 8 points ahead of 4th it still wouldn't have benefitted us this season - but it would avoid the clearly unjust situation in future where a 3rd placed team that is miles better than the rest is denied promotion. And it keeps 4th, 5th and 6th on their toes right up until the end - could be a pretty tasty final day with 3rd placed side knowing a result and favourable outcomes elsewhere could clinch automatic promotion. The big issue would be deciding the appropriate points threshold.

Won't ever happen of course because the League would potentially have to cancel the Championship play-off Final and money is all that really matters.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
stop the last minute equaliser at home to burnley and we'd have been up with the draw against derby. such are the margins and its now likely we'll be championship again next season

There are many dropped points that we can look at, but I agree the Burnley game was the one that sticks out. 5 mins into injury time they get a corner and we lost concentration. Nobody was marking and their player had a free header. That lost concentration has potentially cost us promotion, although I still feel we are not out of it and an early goal by us will cause panic in the Wednesday ranks. We were poor at their place and made them look better than they are. If we play to our potential at home, even with players out, then I think we can still win it.

Quinny

Banned
Jul 27, 2014
It's not as if the play offs are a new phenomenon, it's been in force for well over 20 years everyone is in the same boat. Being 15 points clear of the team you are playing sucks but thems the rules unfortunately, no,matter how aggrieved everyone feels

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

With the difference in resources between the Premier League and the Championship, I think that would be almost pointless. Once you start delving down as 7th in the Championship and as high as 17th in PL, you're hardly ever going to get a new team take the PL place.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What about the semi's are only one leg and the 3rd and 4th placed team play at home.

Sounds sensible on the face of it but in a one-off game it's even more likely that you could get a freak outcome. Two legs would usually favour the stronger side - in the same way that underdogs that end up with a replay in a cup tie usually find that they've 'had their chance' to win it first time around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here