Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland World Cup Winners 1978

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This was the seventies. Checking out the opposition in the formalised, er, form as we know it nowadays, didn't exist. There were no managers with plump folders of information, nor players bright enough to at least pretend to make use of that information, even if it were to be somehow made available.How do you check out, say, Iran, or Peru in 1978? Doubt many football associations could find them on a map.

(Slightly boring, slightly boastful story coming up, don't read if easily bored)

Ah ha! Well If the Scottish FA had gone to Chichester College in early 1978 they'd have seen a guy there called Hassan Nayebagha. He played for the Maths department in the College inter-departmental football tournament. He was very good, easily the best player in the tournament, but he wasn't unbelievably outstanding - I was quicker than him for a start. I talked to him after one of the games. I asked him if he played for a local club and he said he didn't. I said I played in the Worthing League and he was better than that, he was at least County League standard, so had he thought of joining someone like Chichester City? He laughed and said no.

Next time we played them he wasn't playing. I asked where he was and his mates said he gone back to Iran as he'd been selected for the Iranian World Cup squad! Naturally I didn't believe them, but watching the Scotland v Iran game a familiar face filled the screen. Coming on as a sub for Iran was ' H Nayebagha'. I couldn't believe it. It shows how poor Scotland were as Hassan was a lower level non-League player at best.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This was the seventies. Checking out the opposition in the formalised, er, form as we know it nowadays, didn't exist. There were no managers with plump folders of information, nor players bright enough to at least pretend to make use of that information, even if it were to be somehow made available.How do you check out, say, Iran, or Peru in 1978? Doubt many football associations could find them on a map.

Are you sure? Don Revie was notorious for his dossiers on the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here