Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Maybe Connor was just hanging on long enough to make sure his son is qualified to play for England not Scotland....

Spot on, I suspect he was hanging on for his child to be born, which it now has, congrats fella.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Will be a shame. If that figure is correct I also think it’s a bit light in todays market.
It really isn't as i keep mentioning. hardly played in the last couple of years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It really isn't as i keep mentioning. hardly played in the last couple of years.
Neither would you if you'd been having the surgery he's had! That doesn't reflect on his ability.

If we are selling him, I would expect to get more for him from a Championship club because he is an HGP - don't know what the Scottish rules are on HGPs, or whether he counts as one up there. Sad to see him go, if going he is - would much rather he had a barnstorming season on loan and came back to challenge Duffy, but if that's what the management have decided, so be it. Have Rangers found the £1M (allegedly) for Murphy down behind a sofa in their boardroom yet? - hope our lot have checked to see they've got the money!

Potentially good news for Shrewsbury - I assume they've got a decent sell-on clause? How much did we pay for him? - must be turning a bit of a profit I suppose.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I really like Goldson and rate him highly but if he's not playing football he has to move on. He only has one football career and sitting on the bench can't be much fun. I hope the move goes through and I look forward to following his career

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
We must be close to getting his replacement if we are letting him go?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
He will be immense up there. If Gerrard can get it right at Rangers then Connor could gain cult status at Ibrox.. it sounds like defence is where they need to strengthen and I reckon that this could be the best bit of business they have done in decades.

£3.5m sounds a fair enough price given length of contract remaining and his current position behind Dunk n Duffy. He’s never let us down and if the report is to be believed then he leaves on good terms and with everyone’s best wishes. I’ll follow the rest of his career with great interest :clap2:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If we are selling him, I would expect to get more for him from a Championship club because he is an HGP - don't know what the Scottish rules are on HGPs, or whether he counts as one up there.

The Home Grown Player rule is a Premier League initiative - as far as I know, there is no equivalent regulation in Scotland.

Potentially good news for Shrewsbury - I assume they've got a decent sell-on clause? How much did we pay for him? - must be turning a bit of a profit I suppose.

Whilst there is nothing definitive, of course, various fan forum posts (mainly at the Shrewsbury end) seemed to suggest that the total fee due (upfront fee plus various add-ons) amounted to somewhere in the region of 500k - 600k (the Shrews did miss out on one add-on as Goldson didn't appear in half the league matches in the season Albion gained promotion to the Premier League). There is, apparently, a sell-on clause which I have seen suggested is 10%. That 10% would apply, of course, to only the PROFIT that Albion make on the sale: let's just imagine that he goes to Rangers for 3.5m, and we have paid 500k (all-told) for him, we would owe Shrewsbury 300k (10% of the 3million profit).

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Argus report fee as being well in excess of the 3.5 million once add ons are included

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Goldson - Rangers

A few difficult games against Celtic in a season and the rest easy. He could be judged as the best defender in Scotchland come the end of the season. Gutted he is leaving. Hope Gerrard makes him captain.

Also means we’re definitely keeping Dunk one would assume?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

And as been said, name a like for like player you could replace him with for 3.5?
You wouldn’t get a fairly good young championship defender for that , let along decent one.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good for him. He's a quality player but he's not getting the chance to develop and test himself week in, week out. £3.5m, + add-ons, + a sell-on clause and hopefully a buy-back if he does Van Dijk it up there.

On the replacement front, he's already been replaced... it's Balogun. There's no way we'd sign a current Nigeria international as 4th choice squad player. The replacement needed is for Hunemeier who we may already have if the stories about Ben White are to be believed...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He will be immense up there. If Gerrard can get it right at Rangers then Connor could gain cult status at Ibrox.. it sounds like defence is where they need to strengthen and I reckon that this could be the best bit of business they have done in decades.

£3.5m sounds a fair enough price given length of contract remaining and his current position behind Dunk n Duffy. He’s never let us down and if the report is to be believed then he leaves on good terms and with everyone’s best wishes. I’ll follow the rest of his career with great interest :clap2:

I agree, although I'm gutted he's leaving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here