Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Tried Bevendean for the first time. Well it's certainly not PB territory but not the toughest one I've run (that honour goes to Queen Elizabeth park in Hampshire). Time: 23:35 which is not great but good enough to get me the best AG in today's field - all 32 of us! Great view over the coast when you slog your way to the top of the hill. If you live close-by it's well worth a go - but it's a bit hard to find.
Good to hear about other runners making comebacks from injury.

That's a great time on a tough coarse. Only run it once myself as it's location and geography make others more appealing. I do remember enjoying the downhill towards the finish. Offers something very different from the others in town. All very friendly and personal as so few competitors but 32 is half the number when I ran.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Weird today. Having driven slowly back from Norwich we spent yesterday afternoon in Constable country walking along the river. Camped up at Chigborough Farm bit further on in Essex. Beautiful spot in the middle of lots of huge fishing lakes. Set off this morning at 10.30 and had to toot a yellow American Express Brighton shirt. Shortly got into Haddon and I realised that our very own [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] does that Parkrun. Good to see you!

Hope London Marathon went well for all NSC entrants.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Saw a bloke at the london marathon 22 mile mark today with a tumble dryer strapped to his back , think that was around the 5 hour mark , incredible , fantastic day out well done to all 40k + runners , quite a few in Bhafc tops including one lunatic running in blades FKW supreme .

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Weird today. Having driven slowly back from Norwich we spent yesterday afternoon in Constable country walking along the river. Camped up at Chigborough Farm bit further on in Essex. Beautiful spot in the middle of lots of huge fishing lakes. Set off this morning at 10.30 and had to toot a yellow American Express Brighton shirt. Shortly got into Haddon and I realised that our very own [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] does that Parkrun. Good to see you!

Hope London Marathon went well for all NSC entrants.

Good Morning Sir!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nothing compared to London but I managed a 90 minute timed run this evening only a couple of hours after the family roast. Slight pain in the same knee straight after :rant: but [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] 's stretch seems to have calmed that straight down again. Fingers crossed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nothing compared to London but I managed a 90 minute timed run this evening only a couple of hours after the family roast. Slight pain in the same knee straight after :rant: but [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] 's stretch seems to have calmed that straight down again. Fingers crossed.

The royalties on that stretch are going to keep me in beer for many years ahead..........

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Really enjoyed watching the TV coverage of the VLM (enjoyed it a lot more than running the bloody thing!). Really good to watch the male elite runners battle it out and also seeing 'our' Paula's record fall. (Was it just me or did I detect a certain vibe in the commentary box kind of hoping that it would remain intact?).The one thing about the VLM is that it always 'gets you' - soppy and clichéd though some of the coverage is, this is a wonderful event. And, having got really p*****d off with Brendan Foster over the years I suddenly thought that I'm going to miss him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My ninth marathon (and third London) was my slowest one yet at 4:37. First half I was off to a flyer (first half was two hours dead – hanging with the 4hr pacers) and then by 14 stomach cramps had kicked in BIG TIME. I was doubled over in pain so many times in that second half and couldn't do a thing about it. Literally had to stop every time they hit. A tiny bit gutted, not about the time, but the fact that I could've run a better race if it wasn't for the cramps. But I've learned my lesson from Brighton and I'm not agonising about WHY it happened.

So that's the negatives. On the plus side, I saw Albion flags on Tower Bridge, I think, which I gave I 'SEAGULLS' shout back to; the support is IMMENSE, especially from 23 onwards and my legs feel almost normal today. I saw Tumble dryer man, wombles, Mr Blobby, Superman, two people bouncing basketballs, lots of people dressed as cars and people with amazing stories to tell. Once again, I'm reminded about why it is THE one to do – but I think three strikes and I'm out.

Special congratulations for Mrs [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] running her 100th parkrun at Hove Park –*sorry to miss you guys – an amazing achievement. Well done for everyone else's efforts over the weekend. I'm off to the NEC to celebrate!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The royalties on that stretch are going to keep me in beer for many years ahead..........

It has definitely helped me, pint on me when I next see you! Managed 12 miles on Sunday @ 10.27 so not far off my marathon pace, it was nice to be back out on a longish run. Now up to 332 miles for the year, have set myself a target of 1,000 miles. I sat glued to the VLM after my run, usual inspiring stuff and I will be back in the ballot on the 1st May.

I have also been in contact with the Martlets Hospice so looks like I will be running Brighton 2018 for them again. Also considering the 2018 Edinburgh marathon.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Really enjoyed watching the TV coverage of the VLM (enjoyed it a lot more than running the bloody thing!). Really good to watch the male elite runners battle it out and also seeing 'our' Paula's record fall. (Was it just me or did I detect a certain vibe in the commentary box kind of hoping that it would remain intact?).The one thing about the VLM is that it always 'gets you' - soppy and clichéd though some of the coverage is, this is a wonderful event. And, having got really p*****d off with Brendan Foster over the years I suddenly thought that I'm going to miss him.

Her record didn't fall,the winner broke the record for a women only race,Paula's was in a mixed race.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
My ninth marathon (and third London) was my slowest one yet at 4:37. First half I was off to a flyer (first half was two hours dead – hanging with the 4hr pacers) and then by 14 stomach cramps had kicked in BIG TIME. I was doubled over in pain so many times in that second half and couldn't do a thing about it. Literally had to stop every time they hit. A tiny bit gutted, not about the time, but the fact that I could've run a better race if it wasn't for the cramps. But I've learned my lesson from Brighton and I'm not agonising about WHY it happened.

So that's the negatives. On the plus side, I saw Albion flags on Tower Bridge, I think, which I gave I 'SEAGULLS' shout back to; the support is IMMENSE, especially from 23 onwards and my legs feel almost normal today. I saw Tumble dryer man, wombles, Mr Blobby, Superman, two people bouncing basketballs, lots of people dressed as cars and people with amazing stories to tell. Once again, I'm reminded about why it is THE one to do – but I think three strikes and I'm out.

Special congratulations for Mrs [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] running her 100th parkrun at Hove Park –*sorry to miss you guys – an amazing achievement. Well done for everyone else's efforts over the weekend. I'm off to the NEC to celebrate!

Well done - was tracking you in the App..

Thanks from both Mrs Simgull and me for mentioning her 100th. Quite remarkable really - she doesn't enjoy running ata all - so this is a massive achievement and hopefully can inspire other people to get out there even if they don't really fancy it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First tentative steps back today after seven weeks out. 38 min Parkrun will do as a starting point.

Think I'll do Parkrun Saturday. Both big toes still swollen on outside and Achilles still ****** so running not possible but I should be able to power walk to a sub 45. I'm missing the buzz........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did one of my Bright10 training runs again at lunchtime in preparation for the Worthing 10K. A slow warm up mile, then a mile at 5K to all-out pace, a recovery half mile, half a mile at just faster than steady, then a jog home.The all out mile I ran in 7.22 so I'm way off my 6.50 marathon training one or even my 22.01 parkrun but I'm ahead of where I want to be. Happy with that really.

The plan is now to try and run a sub 24 parkrun before the end of May and do Worthing in around 50 dead.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
If anyone fancies a good old traditional 10k cross country run, then I can recommend the Lindfield village run on Monday 29th May. Great fun and a great but hilly route (few styles and occasionally fields full of bewildered cows!)

http://www.kingedwardhall.org.uk/village-run/

I am doing it for the third year, there is also a 5k and I think over 600 people ran in total last year. Nice refreshments and food tent available before/during and after!

Next race for me is the Horsham 10k on 21st May and then the Worthing 10k on the 4th June.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone else doing Three Forts tomorrow ?
Under coach's orders to treat it as just a gentle training effort as tapering now so will be near the back of the pack but looking forward to it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else doing Three Forts tomorrow ?
Under coach's orders to treat it as just a gentle training effort as tapering now so will be near the back of the pack but looking forward to it.

Good luck. Will miss not running as really enjoyed it last year. Will also miss it as a spectator as party today and party in Tooting tomorrow.:drink::drink:

Returned to running today with a 37" Parkrun. 2 and a half mile walking warm up, little jog up the last hill, walk down hill and a little jog finish. Feels OK. Garmin won't load but no time to look at that today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here