Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expats - loss of BBC channels?

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I pay for the bbciplayer abroad. It's 8 euros a month. I don't get half the stuff I would like, but well worth. Spanish tv is dreadful.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Are you one of the few who don't have/do not watch TV at all?

No, have a TV in a few rooms around and even in the garage,but noticeably not in the bedroom but don't make a point of watching them every day.
I tend to watch a particular programme then turn it off rather than sit there scanning channels trying to find something to watch for the sake of it.
Loads of people i know, relentlessly watch TV every night, even one guy i know in the extreme when finished watching tv in the lounge then turns on the TV in the bedroom when he goes to bed,
and the first thing he does in the morning when he wakes up is turns on the TV ! he's like an addict. He found it impossible to believe i had never turned on a telly in the morning.???

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Well it seems the much talked about new satellites for Sky and Freesat are now becoming operational and the footprint has shrunk.

We have lost BBC 1 and BBC 4 and occasionally BBC 2 in SW France. I assume we are going to lose more channels as they switch over?

Anyone else have the same problem and is the solution just getting a bigger dish?

Also lost Radio 2 :down:

Input welcome...thanks

I hope it's not just me and the problem is something else

http://www.thelocal.fr/20140206/bbc-satellite-switch-leaves-expats-in-dark

Lots all over Europe buggered

http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
they can't get the bloody signal out of Salford:lolol:

Seagull Stew

I would gladly pay the licence fee to have BBC in New Zealand, and I bet many MANY expats would. In fact, this could be an option for internet subscription, with profits being used to bring down the cost of a licence for UK television owners.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
don't wanna tempt fate but,got all the regional BBC 1's back tonight,but not 101 ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
ITV1 and C4 will transfer over to the Astra 2E UK spot beam in the early hours of tomorrow morning. Interestingly all the Sky subscription channels have ended up on the Astra 2E and Astra 2F pan european beams. Astra 1N will be empty after ITV1 and C4 switch allowing the satellite to re-locate to 19.2E which is where it is intended to stay for the next 14 years. Astra 2C is then free to move to 28.2E as a back up to replace Astra 2A which is near end of life but shunted off elsewhere as a back up. Astra 2G launches later this year.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If your internet connection is flaky enough to make streaming difficult, but you've got one that can chug away downloading, particularly whilst you are sleeping, use something like get iPlayer Automator (http://tom-tech.com/iplayer_automator/iPlayer_Automator/Get_iPlayer_Automator.html) to download the content you want and watch it at your leisure.

Use some sort of media player to watch it on your TV rather than on a small PC screen.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
As the Internet connection here is flakey and slow (in rural France) that is quite a frustrating alternative.

Out of interest....whereabouts in "rural" SW France ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
it's an ex-pat thing, slag Britain off whilst drinking in the sunshine, but have to have English telly !

And thats just bigoted jealousy.

Since when did you have to be in that country to be of that country? Would make ambassadorial duties a bit difficult wouldn't it.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to watch british tv when you are abroad. Many of us would gladly pay to do it but unfortunately we are not even given that option. That is why so many of us are forced to use illegal internet tv..

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before commenting on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here