Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you beaten with as a child and by whom?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not criticisng you for starting it . . . . especially after reading your longer post. Was just musing aloud. I developed an almost pathological hatred of bullying and oppression which extended to fairly trivial things one might best describe as 'being put upon'. Last year I met up with someone, now in his 80s, who was involved with my PhD supervision. He gave me a long look and said 'you were an angry young man' (35 years ago when I was in my early and mid 20s). That came as a shock. Thinking about it (a lot), yes I was very difficult.....I am generally conciliatory these days, and have a wide range of acquaintances who span the social and political spectrum. But when I was younger I had a 'person filter' set at a very high threshold, and anyone who had views or behaviours I didn't take kindly to were pretty soon 'dead to me' as they say. Probably a survival reflex. My experiences were trivial in the great scheme of things, and getting angry at injustice may feel like an explosion within (when you're age 11 to 15) but this is nothing compared with other stuff which, as you say, was suffered by people who will almost certainly not want to read or post on this thread. I hope all those who suffered back before society thought anything much of these things can and have found some way to survive and enjoy this wonderful life, although I fully appreciate plenty haven't. All the best.

I respect all you've said in your posts.

I would say that most 15 to 25 year olds (males at least, possibly females too) are very blinkered and belligerent with their views on anything from rival football clubs, party politics, wider politics, musical tastes, on friend, famity and enemies. I've found that since then, over time, I mellowed and widened my likes and can be more accepting of others if they are not blinkered in their rigid thinking.

Although it can go the other way and you can become a grumpy old man or woman!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Got the cane from the headmaster at senior school so many times that I think that he got a turn. On by doing it and he eventually became a magistrate, but he never got the better of me because no matter how much it hurt I always asked if he had finished and I could go. I wouldnt let him think that he had beaten me , sorry for the pun.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Got six strokes of a plimsoll on my backside from my PE teacher after I had jokingly pretended I would step on a friend's bare feet with my rugby boots (and their studs!). Admitted this to my Dad and received further punishment from his (open) right hand for having been punished in the first place! Character-building!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Got the cane from the headmaster at senior school so many times that I think that he got a turn. On by doing it and he eventually became a magistrate, but he never got the better of me because no matter how much it hurt I always asked if he had finished and I could go. I wouldnt let him think that he had beaten me , sorry for the pun.

You haven't changed then :moo:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Strap
Cane
Punishment book over the head. Bloody big leather bound thing nearly knocked me out.

All at Junior school. Not sure it did me much harm or good really. I have always disliked the establishment but I like to think that's because I have a brain in my head but who knows?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Think he was. I remember the name Garland but can't place him

Geof Garland was a P.E student at Brighton College Further Education which was behind the Amex he ran tournaments for schools as part of his training and then taught at the Hove Grammer school and he and Henderson played in the Sussex league with some of Hove students I clashed with him many times as a refree a coach and player. Happy days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I respect all you've said in your posts.

I would say that most 15 to 25 year olds (males at least, possibly females too) are very blinkered and belligerent with their views on anything from rival football clubs, party politics, wider politics, musical tastes, on friend, famity and enemies. I've found that since then, over time, I mellowed and widened my likes and can be more accepting of others if they are not blinkered in their rigid thinking.

Although it can go the other way and you can become a grumpy old man or woman!

Appreciated. And likewise.

Yes, its like walking a tightrope sometimes - should I accept, should I reject, should I emote, should I shrug my shoulders?

:shrug::wozza::lolol::lolol: Keep smiling :cheers:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Geof Garland was a P.E student at Brighton College Further Education which was behind the Amex he ran tournaments for schools as part of his training and then taught at the Hove Grammer school and he and Henderson played in the Sussex league with some of Hove students I clashed with him many times as a refree a coach and player. Happy days.
When you mentioned his surname earlier I immediately thought he was a Geoff but wasn't 100% sure

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think he was. I remember the name Garland but can't place him

Ken. History. As opposed to Chris, who was a very nervous gym and Chemistry teacher.

HGSB was quite 'lo fat' when I was there. Cane was very unusual. Remember Ricky V showing some stripes in around 73.

One thing I noticed in 82 when I moved to Canada was the difference between the Canadian 'child loving' versus our 'child hating' societies. We have caught up now. All to do with money.

None of his has to do with the main thread. Apologies. Anyway . . . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ken. History. As opposed to GEOFF, who was a very nervous gym and Chemistry teacher.

HGSB was quite 'lo fat' when I was there. Cane was very unusual. Remember Ricky V showing some stripes in around 73.

One thing I noticed in 82 when I moved to Canada was the difference between the Canadian 'child loving' versus our 'child hating' societies. We have caught up now. All to do with money.

None of his has to do with the main thread. Apologies. Anyway . . . .

Chris Garland is a pharmacologist and part of my current universe. Apologies for the Freudian lady's undergarment :facepalm::wozza::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here