glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
how man can guantanamo hold

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'd prefer for the authorities bring him to justice and subsequently study him to help us prevent future lone wolf incidents like this.

Call me old fashioned, but not a fan of shoot-to-kill or torture, me.

Shoot to kill yes. Torturing belongs to their world though. Never want us to do that unless, James Bond style, there's a clock ticking on a nuclear device underneath a table in the Big Top whilst the Elephant is holding its front legs up on command by the Ring Master. You know, that kind of rare scenario (to head off the crazies who inevitably reply with 'but what if...' scenarios).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's widely thought that torture often merely results in false confessions in order to stop the pain.

Surely you'd check out the answers and if you find they are wrong you go back again?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's widely thought that torture often merely results in false confessions in order to stop the pain.

It forced truth from resistance fighters in WW2 because it could be checked and reapplied if didn't lead to results...if killed during process it was a matter of oh well, probably telling the truth, they didn't know. But it doesn't matter they died, we don't value their life anyway so what's a bit of collateral?

Torture pays dividends v.quickly if you've got the 'right' person. Few will not talk. Least that's how it was in many of the WW2 books I've read. Entire networks collapsed as a result of which is why eventually they were structured so you didn't know the next link in the chain. I think it's a bit misleading, that cliche about people saying anything inc false confessions. They will, but only if you've got the wrong person.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It forced truth from resistance fighters in WW2 because it could be checked and reapplied if didn't lead to results...if killed during process it was a matter of oh well, probably telling the truth they didn't know and it doesn't matter, we don't value their life anyway so what's a bit of collateral?

Torture pays dividends v.quickly if you've got the 'right' person. Few will not talk. Least that's how it was in many of the WW2 books I've read. Entire networks collapsed as a result of which is why eventually they were structured so you didn't know the next link in the chain. I think it's a bit misleading, that cliche about people saying anything inc false confessions. They will, but only if you've got the wrong person.

The US Senate commissioned a report which found the use of torture in their hunt for Bin Laden often led them down wrong paths, either because the wrong person had been picked up or, as the cliche goes, they wanted the pain to stop.

Out of interest, which books on WW2 had bits about torture? Bit of a history buff so keen to add to my library.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We could always re-introduce the rack.

Excruciatingly painful, apparently, it doesn't kill, and there must be some museum that's got one hanging around in the cellar. Medieval torture, it's the way forward!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest, which books on WW2 had bits about torture? Bit of a history buff so keen to add to my library.

LOL - reminiscent of Alan Partridge's classic quote: "I’ll be honest, I’m pretty curious. I mean, I’d basically like to understand man’s inhumanity to man… and then make a programme about it."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cost us more just shoot the fecker
But we want information from them. Once imprisoned, I'd like them to be kept away from other Muslims. I don't want them being treated as a hero, or to encourage others.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Call me old fashioned, but not a fan of shoot-to-kill.

Trouble is police are trained to shoot-to-kill. There's no safe way of trying to shoot to injure apparently. The bloke is armed and dangerous, as we've seen time and again unless these people are taken out quickly then more lives are in danger at that precise moment. If you don't want shoot-to-kill then you might as well call for guns to be removed from the police.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
LOL - reminiscent of Alan Partridge's classic quote: "I’ll be honest, I’m pretty curious. I mean, I’d basically like to understand man’s inhumanity to man… and then make a programme about it."

I wasn't trying to be funny. Only WW2 books I've read have focused on specific battles / campaigns so would like to read more. I'm glad you got a kick out of my post though :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The US Senate commissioned a report which found the use of torture in their hunt for Bin Laden often led them down wrong paths, either because the wrong person had been picked up or, as the cliche goes, they wanted the pain to stop.

No books or chapters called Torture as I recall, probably wouldn't purchase the former if so entitled to be fair! France's occupation is a bit of a specific interest of mine. The horror and humiliation plus parallels I think can be applied here continue to appall and appeal to my interest in WW2, nurtured by being a kid who grew up talking to those that experienced it. Check out Alastair Horne (died last week coincidentally), Paddy Ashdowns the Battle for Vercors, Lucy Aubrac by Sian Rees, DVD called Sorrow and the Pity...all good viewing and reads. But there are many more, lost track down the years of every title. Any recommendations similarly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here