Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaetan Bong has signed a new one year contract...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ok they are off our scale salary wise, however I would still be looking about, Stephens, 4 year contract, Dunk, 5 year contract, and wondering why I got a year.

There are good reasons for different players having different lengths on their contracts. Both Stephens and Dunk have more stock value so if sold with years on their contract we get top bucks. I think Bong is a good LB but he has had lengths of time out over 2 seasons with I believe the same injury. His stock value isn't high and he might be considered an injury risk so a lengthy contract isn't neccessary and maybe he likes playing for Hughton, his team mates, the training ground and the town.

Another year in a team he knows well with the chance of extending his contract could be a lot less hasle than settling into a new club.

It would be fascinating to understand the reasoning behind the contract lengths offered and the reasoning behind players accepting or not accepting though.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Bong is a great player, and still has the all important pace. Elated that we've managed to retain him. For what it's worth, I rate Pog too.

But we also need to secure the long term services of Hemed, Skalak and Norwood, before other PL clubs circle to entice players away with better contracts.

In TB we trust.

Really!?, Hemed, Norwood and Skalak - I would hardly think those 3 would attract Prem interest!, All championship standard level players

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Couldn't disagree more. One of the things I like about Bong is the fact that he nearly always stays on his feet. I think I could count on one hand the number of times he's gone diving in on someone, as he's so rarely caught out positionally and is quick enough to recover.

Whether he can transfer that to the PL remains to be seen, but nobody had him on toast last season.

Not quite true. He had a torrid time of it in the first half against Fulham at home as I recall.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not quite true. He had a torrid time of it in the first half against Fulham at home as I recall.

Fulham absolutely ran rings round us that day, I still have no idea how we managed to turn that round (a worldy from Baldock helped of course).

OK, like every other player in the squad, Bong will have had the odd indifferent performance. But on the whole I think he's been a very solid, reliable presence at LB, and has got back to the levels he was showing before his terrible injury. He's athletic, gets up and down to support the attack, can put a decent cross in, and is swift enough to rarely be caught out of position, and rarely dives in. Everything you'd want from a modern fullback.

I'm pleased he's signed, I think he's absolutely worth another year to see if he can cut it at the next level IMO.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am not suprised its only a year deal, I genuinely think Bong likes it like that, he likes to keep his options open, and has moved quite often during his career.

Pleased he has signed, but i do expect him to be back up this season.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Same overall sentiment from me. I'm kind of middling when it comes to Bong... He doesn't wow me, nor have I ever thought he was useless.

Personally, I'd like to see him beef up a bit. He's going to get bounced around like a 12 year old in a mosh pit in the Prem if he's not careful.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Same overall sentiment from me. I'm kind of middling when it comes to Bong... He doesn't wow me, nor have I ever thought he was useless.

Personally, I'd like to see him beef up a bit. He's going to get bounced around like a 12 year old in a mosh pit in the Prem if he's not careful.

Beef up? He's built like a brick shithouse.

Brighton.png

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Happy with this... IMHO 1 year is spot on, since he is unproven at Prem level, but could well make the step up...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here