Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace set to battle Premier League rivals for Brighton star

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There's a couple of points that makes me dubious of Andy Naylor type local rag non story journalism, and I apologise I haven't trawled through 6/7 pages of comments here.

Firstly, Burnley didn't make two bids, they made six wasn't it? The last one coming far too late for us to sell?
Secondly, aren't we more likely to let him go, if he wants to, if we win promotion, the gamble is worth more than the player himself, if, he wants to go by then? I doubt he will if we do go up.

That is all.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
The only option for us to sell in January, I think, is with a loan back option to us for the rest of the season aka Zaha & Man Utd.

The bid would need to be very substantial also. Can't see this happening with lower level Premier teams who are fighting for survival

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The only option for us to sell in January, I think, is with a loan back option to us for the rest of the season aka Zaha & Man Utd.

The bid would need to be very substantial also. Can't see this happening with lower level Premier teams who are fighting for survival

Why would Stephens want to do it, if say, we were the same 5 points clear of third? Bloom took the gamble to keep him at the Albion on the back of us being where we are. Stephens would be a stupid boy to leave knowing he has a lower end PL career come next summer. This is all journo's trying to unrest him and our club. Jog on you f**ckers.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Don't be silly.

If the club have done their homework, we can cash in during January. He's worth about £6m with that length of contract remaining. He's a very good player, but remember he's been a sub at times.

I don't actually know how long his contract is, I was valuing him for six more months.

If we still have a strong chance of getting promoted, and given the high payoff if we are, the value of ALL our players to us increases a lot beyond their long-term valuation, since we cannot replace them in such a short window with such little planning. This is why I was so amazed that we sold Barnes for pennies.

The value should of course drop back to normal at the end of the season (either way), but we need to hold on to EVERYONE to maximise our chances. The reward is so high, it should distort absolutely everything.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If we don't go up it will be a rebuild next season, we have no choice.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That is very likely as they will have proved generally not to be good enough for the final step up but I dont think that we will fail this time. At least I hope not.

I have no idea how long you have been a fan BG or how old you are, and I know you get berated quite often. However I am on your ride and I think we will go up this season.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Exactly what happened with Murray.

What about the 5 years in between ?
Let me re phrase it better , players into their last 6 months of their contracts are after a big pay day.
Once his contract is finished, it's more likely he will receive a bigger fee moving elsewhere.
Have Brighton offered Stephens a new deal ?

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Let me re phrase it better , players into their last 6 months of their contracts are after a big pay day.
Once his contract is finished, it's more likely he will receive a bigger fee moving elsewhere.

I would hope that if we do go up we have a better chance of getting Dale to sign a new contract with us than for him to go elsewhere, we might not be able to meet the wages of other premier league clubs, but he'll be terry much guaranteed to play most weeks, and to play against Pogba, Hazard, De Bruyne etc... will be worth more than money.....I hope!

There is a new deal on the table. Dale hasn't said he won't 're-sign for us as far as I am aware.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I would hope that if we do go up we have a better chance of getting Dale to sign a new contract with us than for him to go elsewhere, we might not be able to meet the wages of other premier league clubs, but he'll be terry much guaranteed to play most weeks, and to play against Pogba, Hazard, De Bruyne etc... will be worth more than money.....I hope!

There is a new deal on the table. Dale hasn't said he won't 're-sign for us as far as I am aware.

In that case, if the deal is still on the table , it's likely he's going
Unfortunately the players have the power, and as much as we think players should show loyalty, they see it as a job, albeit a very well paid one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes, he's had a new contract on the table for quite a few months now. I think it was last January but not sure.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
He may well go to a lower Prem team but there would probably be a relegation clause in any new contract, so he might end up not much better off and still in the Championship.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In that case, if the deal is still on the table , it's likely he's going
Unfortunately the players have the power, and as much as we think players should show loyalty, they see it as a job, albeit a very well paid one.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that he is likely to go. If we fail again to get promoted then yes 100%, but if we do get promoted then obviously valued players will be offered better terms, which he may or may not accept.

I agree with your point about the players having the power, as most of us know, the fans are the only constant in the life of a football club. As you say it's just a job for them. ££££ is king, but the same goes for our daily lives too!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
People saying 15 million with 6 months on his contract and was nearly sold for half that if Burnley had come in earlier....8 million would be amazing and would be surprised if we got that.Yes we need him but could have a month to find a replacement and kayal will be back by then as well.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
A lot depends where we are around Christmas, Palarse would not match Burnley's offer reported for around 7/8 million but if Burnley do come back in January with around the same offer I think Stephens will be gone ,Bloom might be a gambler but he not stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here