Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does ANYONE remember THIS guy ?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Kym Bayley‎Lancing History.

As this video has attracted so much attention I'd like to add a little background to its existence.
It was filmed in about 1989 by David Harris (sadly no longer with us). David was a television engineer working with Radio Rentals and was a resident of North Lancing.

Not strictly Lancing but who remembers this character from the 60/70's ... Horace Duke, also known as Burlington Bertie by the kids.
This short video came to light whilst clearing out some old home videos ....

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
What we need right now to lift the spirits.

Superb video that, camper than a row of tents

Couple of of oddities from my youth
Used to be a very large bag lady in Brighton who I think used to kip outside Brighton Station
Probably 25 stone plus and used to wheel all her worldly goods in a supermarket trolley up and down Queen Street
She struggled up the hill at a snails pace as the trolley was jam packed full of junk and clothes
Used to be an old lady who used to love the kiddies swings at Wish Park, Hove
Was on them all day long and still there until late in the evening when it was pitch black happily swinging away
She used to always blow bubbles (must have been a West Ham fan) and also sat at different bus stops along New Church Road again blowing bubbles
Both these in the 80's

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Superb video that, camper than a row of tents

Couple of of oddities from my youth
Used to be a very large bag lady in Brighton who I think used to kip outside Brighton Station
Probably 25 stone plus and used to wheel all her worldly goods in a supermarket trolley up and down Queen Street
She struggled up the hill at a snails pace as the trolley was jam packed full of junk and clothes
Used to be an old lady who used to love the kiddies swings at Wish Park, Hove
Was on them all day long and still there until late in the evening when it was pitch black happily swinging away
She used to always blow bubbles (must have been a West Ham fan) and also sat at different bus stops along New Church Road again blowing bubbles
Both these in the 80's

I certainly recall that lady with the trolley near the station. There was also a guy with grey hair, reddish face who found his pleasure swearing at the buses as they went past in Western Road. Pleasant as you like to all and sundry but the buses did cop an expletive earful. Simply strolled up and down all day.

DavePage

Love the guy, some fancy moves there, I remember him from Shoreham Norfolk Bridge area.
The bag lady, oh yes thats a blast from the past, remember her parading up and down Vernon Terrace by the green, snapping her carrier bag at all that dare to walk or drive near her.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
there's a new candidate

the guy who sits outside the front of the Odeon (Brighton Seafront) just along from Costa chatting to passers by through a huge traffic cone. He's a rough sleeper, harmless and brightens up my day. Check him out

anyone else seen him?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I certainly recall that lady with the trolley near the station. There was also a guy with grey hair, reddish face who found his pleasure swearing at the buses as they went past in Western Road. Pleasant as you like to all and sundry but the buses did cop an expletive earful. Simply strolled up and down all day.

I can remember him. Used to point at his watch a lot to tell the drivers they were late!

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
In his latter days Horace took up residence at the traffic lights by the Thomas a Becket pub in Worthing. One day he entered the public bar and called from the doorway "a pint of ale with a handle landlord". To which the landlord, Barry, replied: do you want the handle on the inside or the outside?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Yes use to see him alot growing up in Worthing.Was infact talking to someone about him the other day.I believe he could handle himself from what I was told.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
756e29eb84b08645655332b1d6681b45.jpg

This bloke is nobody to thumb your nose at.

Maybe he'll get toed away?

Last edited:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
We always saw him at Findon or Broadwater. We used to call him Burlington Bertie.

rothergull

Worthing ex pat
Jan 25, 2008
rotherham
In his latter days Horace took up residence at the traffic lights by the Thomas a Becket pub in Worthing. One day he entered the public bar and called from the doorway "a pint of ale with a handle landlord". To which the landlord, Barry, replied: do you want the handle on the inside or the outside?

I was a Becket public bar regular at that time and chatted with Horace many times,nice man.Barry and Shirley were the best landlord/lady ever,very sad when they moved to the Mulberry!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here