Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm playing footie at the Amex on Friday, it's a 6 a side tournament. I'm not sure it's wise really, every year there's a break of some kind. It's a work event, so there will be some particularly nasty tackles and my team have a derby in our group against people from the same floor which will be tasty. My mate who put my training plan together is tearing his hair out - but it's got to be done, right?!

And then Bevendean parkrun on saturday which I HAVE to run slower than 25 otherwise he's going to kill me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been checking on the internet as assumed my heel pain was Plantar fasciiti but it seems this affects the bottom of the heel and mine is at the back. I'm guessing it's an Achilles issue probably from the initial hill start to my run. Have put ice on to reduce the swelling but has anyone any experience or advice on how best to move forward on this or will a good rest be enough to overcome it.

You need a proper diagnosis- no-one on here knows. Go and see a physio.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Is anyone signed up to beat the tide 10k in Worthing?
I'm considering signing up, I was just wondering what it's like.

As the NSC's official and self-appointed Worthing correspondent I'm afraid I've not done this one. I checked it out some time back and I don't think it'll be fast, I think it might well be slippery. I guess it has novelty value especially if you don't live by the coast (which you do)? Sorry: I've just resigned from my position! Hope there's someone else who has actually done it.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Managed another 4 miles last night but at significantly reduced pace from the weekend, just that little bit warmer making it tough.

Off on another river run Saturday but am still tempted to head out tonight. The bug is well and truly back...

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

As the NSC's official and self-appointed Worthing correspondent I'm afraid I've not done this one. I checked it out some time back and I don't think it'll be fast, I think it might well be slippery. I guess it has novelty value especially if you don't live by the coast (which you do)? Sorry: I've just resigned from my position! Hope there's someone else who has actually done it.

After having an absolute SHOCKER last year, I've got unfinished business with this bad boy – one of, if not the worst race I've run. As it happens I actually did some specific training for it this morning along Shoreham Beach. Mostly on the sand (with little rivers of sea rushing though it, but then up onto the shingle as the tide came in pretty quickly. It's similar along in Worthing, but with more sand.

It's a great event and the route got my interest last time around. Start on the beach and go east, head up onto the concrete to Widewater, turn around and do the same. Finishes with a cheeky little uphill sprint (if you can manage it) up the beach to the finish line – it's certainly a challenge. It's not like a normal 10k (at least it wasn't for me) because I went off fast (as normal) and then suffered badly from three miles, run/walking the rest of the way. Think I did close to 59 mins :annoyed:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Not for me. It's either the day before or day after the Phoenix 10k which is also the official NSC 10k race with drinks after.

I couldn't manage 2 races in 2 days so I'll stick with Phoenix. Good luck if you're running it sounds an interesting concept.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm playing footie at the Amex on Friday, it's a 6 a side tournament. I'm not sure it's wise really, every year there's a break of some kind. It's a work event, so there will be some particularly nasty tackles and my team have a derby in our group against people from the same floor which will be tasty. My mate who put my training plan together is tearing his hair out - but it's got to be done, right?!

And then Bevendean parkrun on saturday which I HAVE to run slower than 25 otherwise he's going to kill me.

If you have a chance to play at the Amex then play at the Amex. Far too good an opportunity to pass up.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Bevendean in 25 minutes is still a tough workout. I can't make it but will be interested to hear how you get on. Enjoy the Amex, sounds too good to miss

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to bail on Bevendean, due to Jnr's football commitments. Tournament in Worthing and they have to be there at 9:30...

Speaking of playing at the Amex, he didn't quite do that, but he and his team mates took part in a half-time penalty shoot-out last night at a charity game – watched my us in the posh seats (with ARMRESTS!). To say he was exited was an understatement...

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Cheers for the info everyone. I'm not entirely convinced, but a mate has a spare place.
I know it sounds strange but I don't really fancy running on wet sand.
I didn't realise the Phoenix 10k was the 12th as I'm working. After hearing a lot of people on here run Phoenix last year it sounded good.
I'm looking for a couple of summer races to get me ready for the GNR in September.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cheers for the info everyone. I'm not entirely convinced, but a mate has a spare place.
I didn't realise the Phoenix 10k was the 12th as I'm working. After hearing a lot of people on here run Phoenix last year it sounded good.
I'm looking for a couple of summer races to get me ready for the GNR in September.

I'm a huge fan of the Brighton Trailblazer 10k 16th July which is all off road starting near the Amex at North Woodingdean.

A cheap race as not chip timed but well worth a look. Cakes and refreshments on sale afterwards.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Most skip leg day and look like the hulk up top and then an anorexic chicken below so I think you'll be fine and they will resemble an asthmatic ant.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

I have the metabolism that would make me an anorexic chicken above the beer belly with sinewy legs underneath. I work to avoid that though.

Thanks for those heel drop/raises. I have been doing them. Everything feels ok until I run. So just taking it easy on that front and working out on my chicken breast.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If anyone fancies a good old traditional 10k cross country run, then I can recommend the Lindfield village run on Monday 29th May. Great fun and a great but hilly route (few styles and occasionally fields full of bewildered cows!)

http://www.kingedwardhall.org.uk/village-run/

I am doing it for the third year, there is also a 5k and I think over 600 people ran in total last year. Nice refreshments and food tent available before/during and after!

Next race for me is the Horsham 10k on 21st May and then the Worthing 10k on the 4th June.

I really fancy a race this weekend. I've been off work for two weeks so putting in plenty of mileage so would be interesting to track my improvement.

The weather cloudy, rainy and 16 degrees looks perfect.

I'll look at entry on the day as need to work out travel arrangements. Presumably Haywards Heath is the nearest station?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I really fancy a race this weekend. I've been off work for two weeks so putting in plenty of mileage so would be interesting to track my improvement.

The weather cloudy, rainy and 16 degrees looks perfect.

I'll look at entry on the day as need to work out travel arrangements. Presumably Haywards Heath is the nearest station?

Yes it would be. About a 1.5 mile walk/jog/run/sprint/crawl. PM me your mobile number if you need a lift.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Enjoy the Amex. Hope the crowd stays till the final whistle and with a female in every team hope you don't get your leg broken by a girlie.
My Achilles has improved by not running this week so will be at Bevendean tomorrow morning. Will be aiming at 27" plus so could be your slow pacer for the early stages, if you wake up in time.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] I'll be at velodrome end of Surrenden road at appointed time. 19:50 on the Downs tomorrow could get you a first place.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Enjoy the Amex. Hope the crowd stays till the final whistle and with a female in every team hope you don't get your leg broken by a girlie.
My Achilles has improved by not running this week so will be at Bevendean tomorrow morning. Will be aiming at 27" plus so could be your slow pacer for the early stages, if you wake up in time.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] I'll be at velodrome end of Surrenden road at appointed time. 19:50 on the Downs tomorrow could get you a first place.

I reckon sub 20 minutes gives you about a 50% chance of winning based on previous winning times. Although some of those will be when the course is slower due to the wind and rain.

I'm not sure how much time you add onto this but I reckon I could run a flat 19 minute 5k at present. Should be interesting.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I know what you mean – it was a bit of a shock to the system, hence the early training this year.

Barns Green half is a decent summer race – can't remember exactly when it is though...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I know what you mean – it was a bit of a shock to the system, hence the early training this year.

Barns Green half is a decent summer race – can't remember exactly when it is though...

Barns Green is 24th September. I'm hoping to be in Berlin that day.

Summer is certainly a quiet period for events.

Also venturing up to the Bevendean tomorrow- confident of a top 50 placing. (19 runners last week!)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Worthing prep going down hill fast. Have managed to get out twice in two weeks now thanks to work. One of those was just now but it was so hot I only managed 4 miles.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here