Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Mr & Mrs simgull potentially up for Peacehaven Saturday too.
I'm at the cricket on Friday though so may not be on top form!
Could be paging [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] taxis.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mr & Mrs simgull potentially up for Peacehaven Saturday too.
I'm at the cricket on Friday though so may not be on top form!
Could be paging [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] taxis.

South Africa against South Africa B should be good.
After a lift to Fulham New Years Eve I'd drive you to any Parkrun within a 50 mile radius. I can pick you both up, and Simgull Junior if interested, just after 8. Text the address.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm up for Bevendean on 27th May. Hove Park will be missing me after two weeks playing away, but she'll have to deal with that!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Just finished my 3rd and final run of week 1 and have been increasing distance on the 30 mins by about 150m each day. After the first run the tops of the thighs were sore but have been ok since so I guess that's down to ring rust.

Started to get pain in my heels today towards the end but assume this is probably down to the fact that I am wearing my old Nike Air trainers so need to update soon as I pick the pace up. Hoping that as I have a couple of days rest now before week 2 starts Monday that they will be ok but any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

As it looks like I am now in for the long haul will try and get to a shop at the weekend to invest in some proper footwear.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just finished my 3rd and final run of week 1 and have been increasing distance on the 30 mins by about 150m each day. After the first run the tops of the thighs were sore but have been ok since so I guess that's down to ring rust.

Started to get pain in my heels today towards the end but assume this is probably down to the fact that I am wearing my old Nike Air trainers so need to update soon as I pick the pace up. Hoping that as I have a couple of days rest now before week 2 starts Monday that they will be ok but any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

As it looks like I am now in for the long haul will try and get to a shop at the weekend to invest in some proper footwear.

Well done sounds like a good start. Probably a good sign if both thighs/heels hurting as unlikely to be an injury. Keep listening to your body. Maybe an obvious point but are you warming up and warming down before and after? Stretches after particularly important. Stick to the resting/recovery days - these are as important as the running days.
Keep us posted.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good news. Good steady improvement. I can sense a rejuvenation of mind, body, legs and competitive fight.
The heel needs to be looked after carefully. I'd ditch old trainers immediately for new and even walk about in well supported shoes.
Hopefully new trainers will sort that out. Off road, grass, running will soften the blow but that's a bit wet and muddy for new trainers! Rolling a golf ball or tennis ball under the foot should help and ice foot baths.
If pain persists you MAY have to stop running to prevent getting the dreaded plantar fasciitis.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Well done, fellow oldie. Some good advice given by others already. On the heel issue I recall I used to get hard/cracked skin on my heels and this became painful. I don't think you've put in enough miles yet for this condition to develop but (just in case) it was easily cured with Vaseline. I note your location and assume that your runs are not (yet) up Hovis Hill!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great progress ! Agree with the others - definitely get the footwear sorted asap. They're a bit 'marmite', but strongly recommend trying on some Hokas if you can - for us *ahem* older runners the foot protection from the cushioning is fantastic, yet they are still very light. I wear them for almost all of my running now.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Good news. Good steady improvement. I can sense a rejuvenation of mind, body, legs and competitive fight.
The heel needs to be looked after carefully. I'd ditch old trainers immediately for new and even walk about in well supported shoes.
Hopefully new trainers will sort that out. Off road, grass, running will soften the blow but that's a bit wet and muddy for new trainers! Rolling a golf ball or tennis ball under the foot should help and ice foot baths.
If pain persists you MAY have to stop running to prevent getting the dreaded plantar fasciitis.

I've got a plantar problem at the moment, I've had it all year and have carried on running - it hurts!

Are there any magic cures/tips out there which don't involve the word 'rest'?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Well done, fellow oldie. Some good advice given by others already. On the heel issue I recall I used to get hard/cracked skin on my heels and this became painful. I don't think you've put in enough miles yet for this condition to develop but (just in case) it was easily cured with Vaseline. I note your location and assume that your runs are not (yet) up Hovis Hill!
Ha ha can only manage Hovis Hill after a few pints at Ye Olde Two Brewers at the bottom

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've got a plantar problem at the moment, I've had it all year and have carried on running - it hurts!

Are there any magic cures/tips out there which don't involve the word 'rest'?

Sorry to hear - very frustrating...........

Regular manipulation - 4 or 5 times a day if you can, rolling your foot over a tennis ball (then a golf ball once that doesn't make you cry) or a small bottle of water that's been frozen
Get a Strassburg sock (available online) - know several people who have used these and had good results
Regular calf stretching
Sports massage
Get your feet analysed. Best service I've seen was at Profeet in Putney, where they will also make tailored insoles. Doubt I'd be running if I hadn't gone there a couple of years ago.

Most important of all though, is a visit to a physio first so you can get a correct diagnosis as without that there's a good chance it won't improve and a reasonable chance it'll get worse

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good to see fellow NSCers at Peacehaven today. Tougher course than I expected (Worthing makes you soft). Pleased with result as despite a slowish time (21:57) it got me overall 1st place after Age Grading (74.34%). I think I've only managed this once before in 90 Parkruns.............. so 'thank you, Peacehaven'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here