Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you read the Guardian long enough as I do you'll notice the general number of right wing conspiracy stories which don't even make other newspapers or media. Same with the mocking red peril stories in the DT, DM etc. Both as bad, truth somewhere in the middle I guess. But it is ridiculous and so blatant at times I often wonder how they think they can be taken seriously as quality investigational journalism. Nothing more than extensions of the respective political parties.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Oh it's in the guardian. And so it goes on.

Post it in the brexit thread please so I don't have to click on this shit (or at least allude to it in the title).

I understand your opposition to The Guardian's political stance on certain stories, but in fairness to them they do have a very good pedigree for investigative journalism. They were the first journal to break the stories on both The Panama Papers and Edward Snowden.

D

Deleted member 22389

Most of us had already made up our minds before the campaigning had even started, secondly the government kept online registration open for an extra 48 hours, even though it only went down for a few hours originally, that was in the hope that enough young people would register their votes to stop Brexit, that didn't work either because they thought you voted on twitter. We can go on all day long. Time to move on, we have got a parade to get too.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I tend to think the British people can be relied upon to be imbeciles en-masse without needing a billionaire to rig it.

Last edited:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...nalytica-leave-eu-referendum-brexit-campaigns

It's a complex story, and thus will probably not receive the attention it deserves (not that the likes of the Sun, Mail etc would cover it anyway) but in summary:
  • Shows possible links between US election and brexit campaign - with same American billionaire pulling strings
  • Evidence of potential illegality in the brexit campaign (collusion between different groups)
  • Use of offshore structures to hide activities

Good investigative journalism resulting in genuine questions that need to be answered about how our country is being run and by whom.
And the response from the Leave-EU campaign? 'We won get over it'
Pathetic.

You've really not got in to the spirit of the day :facepalm:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...nalytica-leave-eu-referendum-brexit-campaigns

It's a complex story, and thus will probably not receive the attention it deserves (not that the likes of the Sun, Mail etc would cover it anyway) but in summary:
  • Shows possible links between US election and brexit campaign - with same American billionaire pulling strings
  • Evidence of potential illegality in the brexit campaign (collusion between different groups)
  • Use of offshore structures to hide activities

Good investigative journalism resulting in genuine questions that need to be answered about how our country is being run and by whom.
And the response from the Leave-EU campaign? 'We won get over it'
Pathetic.

Having read the article, which clearly provides worrying detail on the possible influence by an American on the referendum, the main concern is the lack of legal redress based on current legalisation, It seems that the likely outcome would be a fine rather than any criminal proceedings and if proven declaring the result null and void.

And despite the major concerns that this article arises, we already have the usual move on, we're leaving and ignoring the issues.

It certainly will get interesting if a public enquiry looks into these concerns.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Having read the article, which clearly provides worrying detail on the possible influence by an American on the referendum, the main concern is the lack of legal redress based on current legalisation, It seems that the likely outcome would be a fine rather than any criminal proceedings and if proven declaring the result null and void.

And despite the major concerns that this article arises, we already have the usual move on, we're leaving and ignoring the issues.

It certainly will get interesting if a public enquiry looks into these concerns.

There you go, that's what you guys are really after isn't it.

Shame on you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you are happy if someone effectively did the same in the June General Election and a UKIP Government was elected?
I thought you were slightly deranged before, but now you're worrying about a UKIP government after the June election? As a happy leaver I now regard them as a slightly nasty right wing party I won't be voting for. If our democratically elected rulers try to welch on Brexit, that will be a different ball-game, of course, but I hope that won't be needed.

Have you actually asked any leavers if they were influenced by these demonic forces the Grauniad is getting its pro-EU knickers in a twist about? - or if they'd ever even heard of them? Or have you just refused to consider that some people just wanted to leave the EU?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So you are happy if someone effectively did the same in the June General Election and a UKIP Government was elected?

I'm happy when people respect a vote and show honour, dignity and grace in the face of defeat.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I thought you were slightly deranged before, but now you're worrying about a UKIP government after the June election? As a happy leaver I now regard them as a slightly nasty right wing party I won't be voting for. If our democratically elected rulers try to welch on Brexit, that will be a different ball-game, of course, but I hope that won't be needed.

Have you actually asked any leavers if they were influenced by these demonic forces the Grauniad is getting its pro-EU knickers in a twist about? - or if they'd ever even heard of them? Or have you just refused to consider that some people just wanted to leave the EU?

Genuine question, what does welch on Brexit mean? Second referendum? Currently, highly unlikely.
What, if following negotiations, in exchange for existing access to markets we have to accept freedom of movement?
Would this be acceptable?
If not, would there be pressure for a second referendum?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Genuine question, what does welch on Brexit mean? Second referendum? Currently, highly unlikely.
What, if following negotiations, in exchange for existing access to markets we have to accept freedom of movement?
Would this be acceptable?
If not, would there be pressure for a second referendum?
It means not leaving. Finding a way to weasel out of actually quitting the EU and not being a member of it any more. Second referendum = welching; freedom of movement = welching. Access to markets, of some form or other, will continue (for us and for them); big business will see to that, regardless of what governments or EU parliaments try to impose on them - if they don't like the restrictions, they will ignore and them and keep on trading.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I am not worried about UKIP at the election, although you could say Mrs May is now leader of the Conservative and UKIP party.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Even if the rules of the vote were broken?

The 17 Million+ people who voted leave didn't break any rules though did they, and it's their votes that you apparently want to overturn.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am not worried about UKIP at the election, although you could say Mrs May is now leader of the Conservative and UKIP party.

Mrs. May is now head of the Brexit party, and much as it hurts me as a long time Labour leaning voter, I'm going to have to vote Tory (Yeugh! Wash my mouth out with soap and water!) because they are the only party I believe will not try to weasel a way out of facilitating Brexit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here