Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christian Walton - Premier League keeper in the making?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Interesting piece on the Southend Utd page on BBC Sport on Christian Walton: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39667940

Given that he's clearly a young keeper with huge potential, and has had a part to play in L2 and L1 play-off campaigns this season, what would you target for him next season? League 1 loan - maybe to Luton, if they win the play-offs? Championship loan, or is that being a bit optimistic?

Clearly he's not going to be on our bench unless we have one or two keepers leave ...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Season loan to the Championship.

No point in him being #3 here sitting in the stands.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Have him in the Premier league squad as he is young enough not to be part of a 25 man squad.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Top of the table league 1 club, no point in him joining Championship strugglers getting tonked every week. Then back with us for season 2 in the Premier League.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Aren't all 3 of our keepers out of contract this summer?

Personally, I would be happy to have him sat on our bench waiting for his opportunity, but he will probably develop better playing each and every week. If a Championship side are interested, then that will probably be the best for him.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Aren't all 3 of our keepers out of contract this summer?

Personally, I would be happy to have him sat on our bench waiting for his opportunity, but he will probably develop better playing each and every week. If a Championship side are interested, then that will probably be the best for him.
Stockdale, Maenpaa and Ankers are out of contract.

Walton is not.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How tall is he ?

You feel like your in ''land of the giants'' when he is next to you

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd like to see him go on a season long loan to the highest level that a team will give him game time. Probably that will be league one, hopefully the Championship. When he's had at least half a season at championship level then we can think about him challenging for the first team.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'd like to see him go on a season long loan to the highest level that a team will give him game time. Probably that will be league one, hopefully the Championship. When he's had at least half a season at championship level then we can think about him challenging for the first team.

This is the correct opinion I think providing he wants to stay and sign a new contract with us.

Defiantly one for the future and hopefully with us.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This lad has huge potential, get him a loan at a top league 1 club next season with a view to him playing a part for us in a couple of years time.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A top end L1 loan would be ideal. Or a low end Champonship loan to keep him busy. Another year out on loan then would hope he is ready to step up.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Have him in the Premier league squad as he is young enough not to be part of a 25 man squad.

He's too old and would have to be named in the 25 man squad.

This season players didn't need to be named in the squads if they were born on or after 1st Jan 1995, so logically next season will be 1st Jan 1996, Walton was born 9th November 1995.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah all reports are that we've got a diamond in the making with Walton.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Top of the table league 1 club, no point in him joining Championship strugglers getting tonked every week. Then back with us for season 2 in the Premier League.

As long as it's regular game time it shouldn't matter too much where he goes. You say he wouldn't benefit from playing for Championship strugglers but-perhaps the added bonus of facing lots of shots, he should play at as high a level as possible really. A gruelling championship season would stand him in excellent stead to feature for us the year after. Reminds me of something Sean Dyche said about him signing Heaton, that he liked him as even when he was playing for a struggling team in Bristol City is head always remained up, and his concentration and application didn't falter even facing tough time, and he felt that was a huge asset in a goalkeeper. We'd want the same mindset-especially in our new role as probable relegation battlers in the Premier League.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah all reports are that we've got a diamond in the making with Walton.

Goalkeeper doesn't tend to be a position where CH takes many chances with though. He seems to prefer experience in that position. I have seen him bleed 16 - 18 year olds in many positions but not goalkeepers.

He has had, Tim Krull, Fraser Foster, Jack Butland, Declan Rudd and another good youngster who was understudy to Paul Robinson at Spurs but always stuck with the experienced keepers.

I do hear that Walton is a great keeper in the making though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here