Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cars

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Id say always buy 3 years old, the bulk of the de appreciation is done and dusted then.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm a used car dealer [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Personally I would recommend a used car, any recalls and campaigns will have hopefully been completed by the time you become the owner. Kia is a good bet as you get a 7 year warranty, so if you buy a two year old Sportage, for example, you'll still have 5 years of warranty left. Hyundai and Kia are made by the same people so Kia is the better option as you get the extra two years of warranty.

Jul 7, 2003
If you don't know what you want, a drive to Crawley might be worthwhile. Start off having a look around Unbeatablecar (used to be Jeffries Farm) as they have loads of makes and models under one roof to see what you do and don't like (they are used cars). There then a few dealers around the area where you can look at the latest models.

I bought a new Golf last year and did this via Carwow. I would highly recommend them. You specify the vehicle you want and then they send this off to dealers to see who will offer the best deal. I had offers from several garages - some local, some far away - of up to 16%. Depending on your car choice, you can get greater discounts. The good thing is that you use an email portal or phone service that anonymises you. All the dealer sees is Mr X from Sussex until you decide to tell them more so no hassle from dealers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We had a budget, so looked at Dacia, but decided on a Hyundai i30 instead. I know the thread said brand new, ours was just under three years old, but only had 6K on the clock. They have a 5 year guarantee.
It was the Hyundai garage at Seaford. Have a look, as we're very pleased with ours.

Hyundai are really starting to become mainstream, and that is meant as a compliment too.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I hadn't thought about going to Unbeatable car to actually see lots of different types.

Will drag the better half with me and then check out car wow from there.

Will also look at finance and then pay it off quickly.

Thanks guys and girls and great help!

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Buying new means you lose a lot of money very quickly, a Dacia will lose even more as a percentage of the purchase price.

But you'll keep the car for much longer too. I bought new a few years ago and don't intend to sell it ever; just want it to keep going for as long as possible - being in charge of its entire service history has made me take care of the little thing too.

It's a Toyota Yaris FYI OP, from a local dealership. I really like it. And the finance deal was 3 years of nought percent/free servicing loveliness.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Why buy something that will fall in value?

If it flies, drives, fu**s or floats then rent it.

I do a lot of miles. From what I can see rental/lease/pcp isn't a good option in those situations.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Depending on your mileage consider leasing.
Lots of different leases to suit your circumstances and you can have another new one at the end of the lease.
Some deals have insurance and tax thrown in, some have servicing as well.
If you are looking for something like a Duster I would pop down to Ford and see what they can offer you on a Kuga.

fall in value buying or expense of renting - what's the diference ?

You know exactly how much you are in for from the outset with renting. Where as owning you will not know what your eventual disposal price until you sell.

Money in your bank rather than the seller of the car for longer.

Usually cheaper anyhow.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm on my 4th new Mazda 3. I get them on lease purchase over 3 years. I trade them in after 1.5 to 2.5 years for another new one. Pay a constant monthly charge so even when I get the next new one I still pay more or less the same. Best thing I have done with cars as I found second hand ones alway cost more and more maintenance and mot's. Not had to have an mot for a decade.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On the other hand I guess with a new car you don't have to worry whether the previous owner thrashed it about or if there are any other hidden secrets. Could be worth the premium for some.
Indeed, but some types of car are more likely to be thrashed around than others. Family cars probably don't get thrashed about so much.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I bought a car on finance last year, price started at £258, got it down to £200 p/m as it was the last day of the sales quarter..

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I'm another fan of carwow, certainly as a good starting / negotiating point even if you don't ultimately go through them.

I bought a Nissan Xtrail 14 months ago and my wife bought a Fiat 500 in January, both through the website. We went to local dealerships for both and they either couldn't be bothered to follow up a sales visit (Nissan) or couldn't match the carwow price (Fiat) of the dealers we ultimately used.

Happy hunting.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I'm another fan of carwow, certainly as a good starting / negotiating point even if you don't ultimately go through them.

I bought a Nissan Xtrail 14 months ago and my wife bought a Fiat 500 in January, both through the website. We went to local dealerships for both and they either couldn't be bothered to follow up a sales visit (Nissan) or couldn't match the carwow price (Fiat) of the dealers we ultimately used.

Happy hunting.

just out of interest how did you find the xtrail ? was it the new shape one? that's the car I'm looking at when I emigrate to NZ next month

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
just out of interest how did you find the xtrail ? was it the new shape one? that's the car I'm looking at when I emigrate to NZ next month

I've been really happy with it (yes the new model). On the face of it, it has a small 1.6 Diesel engine, but I've had no issues with lack of speed etc even with 7 of us (I've not towed anything) heading to the AMEX.

The rear two seats are for smaller children really, which was a main reason for me getting this model as my youngest two are 12 (starting to get too big for the rear seat) and 8.

I genuinely can't think of anything that I am unhappy about. I took out the advanced servicing to save a bit of money, I'm getting about 45-50mpg, it's comfortable and has a good level of finish and equipment as standard.

Good luck in NZ!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here